freeatlast

minimum exit height in case of emergency whilst wearing a wingsuit?

When an aircraft emergency occurs what is your minimum height where you would exit the plane and be happy to pull if you are wearing a winguit ???

I ask this because we had such an event today and i remained in the (smallish) plane whilst nine people exited the plane at 1500' and pulled. I rode the plane down (thankfully) to a smooth landing ...

But if the situation arises what are peoples thoughts on heights and exits? Obviously it is possible to pull the cut-aways and jump but are you more likely to be unstable or not?

Would you have also exited at 1500 feet or would you have exited at 2000 or more? Do you generally suit up before boarding a small plane or do you wait until some people have exited and then put booties etc on?

I have only 19 wingsuit jumps and was happy in this instance to stay with the plane - if we could have got more height then i would have exited because i would have had more time to deal with any potential problems but in this instance time was short and i was inexperienced plus the exit height was low, so i was happy to ride down but what are your thoughts ???

BTW The pilot did a fantastic job of putting us on the ground !!! :)

Don't think there is a minimum. With the altitudes youre speaking of, you wouldnt even be zipped in yet, so if anything just pull the LQRS to get full range of motion(if you feel you need it). But you can just as easily jump out with leg wing collapsed too.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Hello,
It's best not to be in an airplane crash.
Not following an emergency exit order is unwise.
What would you do if you did not have the suit on?
Your reserve should deploy quickly at low airspeed if you find you need to bail super low.
Veter makes a good point as well.
Don't panic.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

if anything just pull the LQRS to get full range of motion(if you feel you need it). But you can just as easily jump out with leg wing collapsed too.

I wont recommend jumping any kind of WS freefall with all fabric on just one leg. Collapse the leg wing and pull the LQRS after deploying your main/reserve.
Haven't tried it but i think the possibility to get unstable is greater with all fabric dragging in just one leg..

Anybody ever tried to pull LQRS in freefall????

Bo
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

Hi Avery

I'm happy not to have been in a plane crash too :)
I asked the question because I WAS TOLD to stay with the plane and wanted to know if this was correct ...

I had intended on exiting the plane, but did as i was advised in this instance ...

I just wanted to clarify if there was a minimum "safe height" ...

Having seen the previous thread i am now sure of my actions the next time that this might arise ...

I would never, ever recommend that anyone pull the LQRS in either freefall or prior to exit!

Just to rehash what was in the other thread, if the exit order is given you need to get the hell out. If you are zipped up, exit zipped up and get safely away from the plane before you deploy. If you are not zipped up, I would zip my arms down to the elbow (if I had time to think about it) and get out. If you are already zipped into your legs, then exit with your feet on your ass. If you are not zipped into the legs make sure the leg wing is tied off or balled up and stuck through your air channel (Skyflyer derivatives). If I am in a turbine with my legs zipped in and the order to bail out comes, I am going to zip my arms all the way down and fly out the door, regardless of altitude. This, of course, assuming the pilot has given the order to bail out at a survivable altitude.

Chuck

With the altitudes youre speaking of, you wouldnt even be zipped in yet

And why wouldn't you be?

Have your legs zipped. If you choose not to zip your arms, I suggest going out the door with your leg wing collapsed and your hand already on the hackey.

Nothing pisses me off more then people that are not ready or prepaired to exit when the plane is heading down the runway for takeoff. >:(

HAVE A PLAN. KNOW your minimum exit altitude and have in your head the way you'd exit should something like this happen!
AND DO THIS BEFORE YOU GET ON A PLANE AGAIN! :S

so if anything just pull the LQRS to get full range of motion(if you feel you need it).

NEVER exit with the LQRS pulled. :S

The leg will still inflate and cause an unstable exit and spin.
Try not to give advise unless you have experienced such a situation, or have tried experimenting in such procudures.

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

And why wouldn't you be?
Have your legs zipped. If you choose not to zip your arms, I suggest going out the door with your leg wing collapsed and your hand already on the hackey.

Because from what I have seen/do and have watched others do, arms don't get zipped down all the way till somewhere remotely close to the climbout/exit. Leg wing is put on before getting in, so this exit you described is what I would be using. The LQRS comment was perhaps misguidedly made coming from the stance of being in the front of a big a/c with rear door, last out, and prioritizing the quicker exit (running instead of hobbling) over stable exit on a reserve hop n pop. I feel that getting out quicker and therefore with more altitude is better than trying to get a stable exit on a reserve hop n pop in a diving plane. But that's just me, I always go for the most-altitude option.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I thought about this ever since I got my suit.

We are usually the last ones to get out. I know I am the only WSP at my DZ so I'm always last.

I board completely unzipped with the leg wing snapped up and the arm zippers 3/4 up.

In case we have to bail out I would go as low as 500' hand on the sliver, poised exit with legs together and bent, arms in, clear and pull. Chances are the pilot won't tell to bail out at 500' but I would not think twice if I had to.

I usually don't rig up until 10K when everybody gets up to prepare for final.

In case I have to bail out at higher altitudes, let say at or above 1300', I do the same procedure but pull my main.

I don't know if this is best course of action but it makes sense to me.
Memento Audere Semper

With the altitudes youre speaking of, you wouldnt even be zipped in yet

And why wouldn't you be?

On planes where you need to sit packed like sardines on the floor, I have found it very impractical and uncomfortable to zip up leg wing upon boarding. All the big flock Otter (no bench) loads I have been on, I do the same thing all the other flockers do: at 10k, stand up and zip legs, then kneel down and zip arms and prepare for exit. I am not crazy about the idea of an emergency exit with the legwing unzipped, but my plan if I had to exit like that would be quickly zip both arm wings halfway down, stuff the leg wing between my thighs, and exit with my legs squeezed together (holding wing rolled up between thighs), arched, and one hand already on whatever handle the altitude dictated I was going to use. Dump as soon as I'm out the door (and clear of A/C obviously...)

If there is a bench, I will usually zip legs on boarding (dependent on orientation of bench sometimes).

Any comments on these ideas? Anything I'm overlooking?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

my sentiments exactly. i'd go out the door at an even lower altitude if the plane was vertically orientated., crashes nose first usually are very bad, so i'd probably take my chances and jump-dump silver in one smooth action if below 500 feet. anything above 1300 would allow some good old low level flyin(gettin into that now since a recent fixed object WS addiction took hold) then dump either main or reserve depending on alti. i guess i'd do a base style pull from full flight on my reserve if i were under 1300 though, but high enough to allow an exit/clear the A/C/fly/dump procedure.....

anything is better than stayin in the a/c if its going head down into the mud..

Darren

As Chuck more or less stated if you exit without being fully zipped in or as with the arm wings at least zipped to the elbow, you have no control of what that material is going to do. Early on in my wing suit career I had a full attitude jump turn into a hop-n-pop (at the time I had less than 15 wingsuit jumps) I left fully zipped in from 3500 AGL and it worked fine. A fellow wingsuit pilot had the same thing happen with about the same about of wingsuit jumps as I had. He decided to leave unzipped. Upon exit one of his arm wings inflated putting him into a spin as he try to deploy his bridal ended up wrapped around his arm wing. He was able to deploy the reserve and land fine.
As Ed pointed out figure out your emergency exit plan and stick to it and remember if you are not zipped in to all the wings by some extent you do not have control of what they will do. As for me I zip in on take off.
Kirk

Matt, there is nothing wrong with what both you and Nick have stated, I wouldn't hesitate to jump out at 500 feet on Silver with my legs snapped up and my arms not zipped. My point was that I would NEVER consider pulling my LQRS at any altitude prior to ditching if my legs were already zipped in.

Chuck

The LQRS comment was perhaps misguidedly made coming from the stance of being in the front of a big a/c with rear door, last out, and prioritizing the quicker exit (running instead of hobbling) over stable exit on a reserve hop n pop.

If the aircraft your in is large enough such as a Skyvan, taking off with your legs and arms unzipped is just fine, "if" you are comfortable doing an emergency exit with your leg wing contained enough as to not let it inflate upon your emergency exit. And if your not going to zip up your arms, I'd suggest exiting with a hand on the deployment handle of the parachute you are intending to use after you have a clean exit. This will avoid any searching for a handle with all the material you'll have flapping around.

I feel that getting out quicker and therefore with more altitude is better than trying to get a stable exit on a reserve hop n pop in a diving plane.

Getting out fast is good I agree, but it doesnt take many long strides to exit a plane, and a cutaway LQRS on the leg wing will probably trip you up more then having the booties remain on.
And most likely if the plane is diving, your not going to get out anyway, wingsuit or not.... [:/]

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I asked the question because I WAS TOLD to stay with the plane

By whom? Pilot? Jumpmaster? Experienced wingsuit jumper? Someone who knows you? I'm curious that a pilot would declare an aircraft emergency serious enough for 9 on board to get out (did anyone else stay in? if so, why? were they also told to? or did they elect to? If they elected to stay on board, what was their reason?) and yet someone instructed an experienced parachutist to stay on board? What was the nature of the emergency that you felt your chances were better staying on board? Have you ever had an unstable exit in a wingsuit? If so, then you have something to work in, for the next time this situation arises and you have less of a choice. As Ed said, have a plan before you get on the plane. Glad you (and everyone else) made it! Do I know the pilot?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

On the subject of being told to stay in the plane..
I like the story where the pilot turns around to yell 'gett owert' and the plane is already empty.

In an emergency you can often rely on the person furthest from the door to assist you somewhat in getting out.
Having had half a load stomp me into the floor in a rushed exit I know there are some people you couldn't force to stay in a plane crash..no matter how nice you told them.B|