lurch

short story about birdmen in a CASA at Jumptown.

It was just such a cool occasion I had to share it.
Got invited to Jumptown's CASA boogie by skydave114 who was organizing wingsuits. Thanks again Dave I had a blast....
I'd also like to thank Zibolateur who hooked me up with his S3 for the day, :D time I ever flew a suit bigger than a GTI. Holy shit what a difference! Almost lost it in the first 5 seconds, felt like breaking a wild horse getting control of the damn thing but the performance is unreal...Now I desperately need to acquire an S3...first time trying to fly slow I found the sweet spot and got a new best average down to 44 mph and got 2:38 from 12,500.
Another bird I've been jumping with a lot lately, Murphy, exited side by side with me in the cleanest exit I've ever seen on tape, most perfect timing I've ever seen....
And learned that a flock made up of big guys in classics and prodigies + little guys in S3s and GTIs has a tendency to scatter when launched into sunglare.
It was worth the speeding ticket I got on the way home.
B|
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Yeah, it was a lot of fun! :)
The highlight of the weekend was a UFO fly-by at about 30ft from me. I saw a black object rapidly approaching me. What the heck is that???!!!! At first, I thought somebody lost a shoe, or maybe it's a freebag? The object buzzed by me at >100mph. The UFO turned out to be Mike's helmet which he lost in flight. Mike was about 300ft below and in front of me on our 6-way. Lesson learned: don't fly directly behind another bird at your glide angle!

Yuri! Whatup Birdman? I forgot about the UFO...Ok, UFH.....unidentified flying hat...
Bummer I missed the rest of you guys' exits... when we lost you in the glare I couldn't tell what was coming down the hill so I hung hard left and got the hell out of there while watching overhead. I spotted several streaks against the sun which told me roughly where you guys were, then I spotted Mike, helmet or no, doing about oh, I'd say about 170mph some 200 yards overhead. He won't be getting killer freefall times, not with his size in a classic, but oh my god does he go FAST....fastest thing I ever saw flying horizontally, he left me Dave and Ken behind like we were standing still. When I finally caught up with him around 4 grand after he opened I buzzed him from maybe 700 feet off to his left and got awesome video of it on my way back to the field.
I'm going to be chuckling about your UFO encounter all evening....with all the cool stuff that happened I'd forgotten about that... what the heck is that? Oh man you gotta start doing video just in case that happens again...
You know it just occurred to me that Prodigy suit of yours opens up new possibilities for unique flight plans....how about a Prodigy/SF3 rodeo? Exit, fly a ways, then deploy you off my back like launching a sidewinder missile? The video would be awesome.....
-BC

Brian, you're the most enthusiastic person about human flight I've ever met. Your lust is incurable, man! You must actively procreate so as to start Darwin evolution towards the human with natural wings :D

Mike was like a rocket, so was I - I stayed at the same distance from him all the time. UFO flyby was very cool (albeit dangerous - but it was under control). It got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool to launch a bunch of small air-inflated rubber balloons from the plane on the way up (one after another to form a straight angled line) and then swoop "the course" in a wingsuit (wearing a full face helmet, of course)? ;)

SF3/Prodigy biplane? Cool, man, let's do it! Are you sure a 235lbs meatbomb should be on top, though? :D

I've been trying to grow feathers for some time now. Since the feathers are slow to grow I'll have to settle for another suit.
The balloon idea may be the first original idea I've heard of for birdman airtoys... Who would we ask about making such a thing happen? Need big, bright balloons and a lot of practice buzzing canopies to get a feel for it before going to balloons though....

How bout an SF3/Prodigy hang glide? Could it work?
You can reach toggles with armwings hooked up, right? If so I wonder how the aerodynamics would work out with you hanging from my chest strap...could be you'd trail back behind me due to your legwing and you'd tow me up to forward speeds I could never hit, horizontally... That'd make me the worlds highest loaded canopy... Paper airplane with a 235 lb keel weight....
Has anyone tried this yet?

Or, I wonder if I could keep a grip on your rig with S3 wings on and rodeo your Prodigy...get up to your insane horizontal speed, then bail off...high speed exit, launched from another Birdman?
Video!!!

wouldn't it be cool to launch a bunch of small air-inflated rubber balloons from the plane on the way up (one after another to form a straight angled line) and then swoop "the course" in a wingsuit

There have been several attempts to set up "courses" in the sky either to slalom or follow. We had the luxury of doing this in Eloy where we didn't really have any constraints other than having to recover all of the markers ot items released into the sky. Balloons don't work, they fly away quickly and are unpredictable. The other methods we tried worked only slightly better but required a lot of coordination between aircrafts and again only produced a marginal course "course" at best. Setting up a course in the sky is very difficult, even when using two aircraft to do so. Myself and some others have been working on a few things that may eventually make setting up a course a possibility;) cross your fingers
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What did you use for markers Lou?

The items that DIDN'T work include ballons, Create paper(wind drift indicators), Bananas (room temp and frozen) attched to streamer material(s).

The ones we had better luck with are still being developed some more. When they are ready, I will post a picture.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Now THAT is a kickass idea... lay down a temporary racetrack, couple lanes of smoke on a good glide slope? Anyone know somebody does skywriting?

I will go in this way and find my own way out...
Nice sig. What song was that? I can't place it but I know it....

Actually, the credit goes to Ash for the banana idea. :P If things go as planned with my latest device you very well could see a vertical "marker" in the sky while in flight. Only problem, it is expensive[:/]
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Brian, you have really wild and innovative ideas!!! If we go further brainstorming like this, we may land a tandem wingsuit without a parachute before Jeb! :ph34r:

I think hang glide with regular jumper under S3 will work better than two wingsuits.

I talked to a cool guy from Sussex, he's flying boogie boards, so I suggested we do a boogie board + Prodigy flock. Video!!! ;)

Or imagine a solo wingsuit flyer enjoying the flight. Suddenly, in the corner of his eye, he notices that he's not alone. He looks around and sees a flock of boogie board riders trailing behind him! :) Video!!!!!!!!! :D

Think you're right about hang gliding a regular jumper with no wings.... I'm going to guess 2 wingsuits'd turn into a total flapping wings everywhere cluster-fuck, but it'd be fun to try anyway...
Now boogie boards, on the other hand... That sounds fun. If I turned around one day and found myself being pursued by a flock of flying boogie boards I think my head would explode out of pure outraged professional pride....there'd be a dull thud sound audible from the ground and no more Lurch, just a cloud of hair, shredded nylon, the occasional chunk of carbonfuckingfiber, a few feathers and some electronics.
...Video!!!!!

...just a cloud of hair, shredded nylon, the occasional chunk of carbonfuckingfiber...

Hehe:)I hope thats not gonna happen to my suit! :P

Lurch, once again, you are very welcome to fly it anytime while I'm stuck on the creepers.
Let me tell you in private...it loves to be flown hard..:P

Thanks for coming to my little party, guys. We'll have to try that "big way" again at the casa boogie at your home DZ, Lurch.
I was a bit dissapointed by the lack of interest in the loaner suits I had available. Only 2 people made their first flights, both of which went very well. I had to say no to 2 others who had less than 200 jumps.
Lurch, if you came to Jumptown more often, you'd know to obey the speed limit on route 2 !

Don't be disappointed, man. I think the jump number minimums and scary reputation scare off a lot of undecided would-be birds. Just means there weren't enough people around ready for it yet. The art is catching on around here a lot slower than I'd like, but we got a whole crop of under-200's here, quite a few of whom have expressed strong interest and will make awesome birdpeople given a bit of time. We waited 100,000 years, another season or three won't kill us.

I should have remembered rt 2 dammit... oh well. Sometimes you just lose the game.

Hey Guys! Sorry about the helmet flying off my head. It wont happen again. I cant thank you enough for flying with me though. I am flying my suit a lot more now...and check this...I just ordered a FireBird! Jari says its it performs better than the GTI but is easier to fly than the sky flyer. A good step up for me. I hope to fly with you guys again. Come up to Vermont and I'll buy your next slot! Blue skies, Mike M

Mike, sorry for your loss. :( I figure we birds are in a much better position than sit flyers in terms of avoiding collision with lost equipment - we look where we fly, have much greater maneuverability, and don't expose our asses to relative wind! ;)

C-ya around!

Yuri

Mike!
I know it won't happen again, because now you don't have a hat! :P
I'm going to need a 3 foot tail extension to keep up with your speed but will fly with you anytime and take my chances with your hat. My condolences on the death of your protrack, if its any consolation to you it gave its all for a good cause, the forwarding of the human flight agenda. I wonder what kind of freefall rates it recorded? Only problem with having a playground made of 16 cubic miles of sheer spacial volume is its easy to misplace things and they don't stay where you dropped them.
Congrats on the firebird, man! Your fallrate is going to PLUMMET, just wait till you find the sweet spot and hear the windblast die down to nothing and it suddenly takes you forever to reach pull altitude...
You're going to be able to cross half the state in less time than it takes to say it.
Out here we got a tandem master, Rich, scored himself a freaking V-1....
If it'd fit me I'd have been waiting for him in the parking lot with a burlap sack and a baseball bat. I got wing envy big time. Instead of mugging him for his suit (wouldn't work anyway...hes much bigger than me and it'd take 3 of me to take him down) we went up and flew instead. Oh fuck am I in trouble...he's got incredible reach and span, vastly superior wings and about 60,000 jumps under his belt. As soon as he gets familiar with it and has the sweet spot my ass is grass. This is so cool...now there's 4 birds at PSC and suddenly I don't have to fly alone much anymore.
Video!!!!
You guys DO know we got a CASA boogie coming up here soon, right?