Skolls081102

Jeb's Wingsuit Landing Attemp?

500 million viewerships? That can't be right?

It is :)

Well, there are 1.3 billion people in China alone, and while I won't claim to know what even one of them was doing when this aired, it seems somewhat improbable that 1 out of every 3 of them would be watching it. Possible though, I guess. How much of the supposed 500M was outside of China?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Chinese RedBull were the ones tracking the numbers :) They were hoping for maybe 100 million if they were lucky. When the numbers came back at over 500 million they were quite shocked. Non of us could have imagined it would go so huge :) An unknown athlete doing a relatively unknown sport :)

CCTV airs in more places then just china by the way :) It covers most of Asia and you can even see it in the USA if you have satellite TV :) Plus it also aired live on BBC :) Along with 9 other networks :)

I have zero idea how they track this stuff. I only repeat what I am told by the powers that be. It could have been 3 people for all I know :)

500 million viewerships? That can't be right?

It is :)

Well, there are 1.3 billion people in China alone, and while I won't claim to know what even one of them was doing when this aired, it seems somewhat improbable that 1 out of every 3 of them would be watching it. Possible though, I guess. How much of the supposed 500M was outside of China?

Even if using the Gross Reach and GRP methods, it doesn't wash. It's probable that webpages are counting re-hits and loops, which is false feedback.

FIFA was inflating.
Kinda like the Olympics in Torino initially claiming 2B viewers where the verifiable was 87m (opening ceremonies).

It's in marketing's best interest to claim the most inflated numbers they can possibly find (and good for our discipline too, IMO).

100m viewers worldwide? Easily accepted. And exceptionally impressive.

I have never been sponsored by Go Fast :) I did a few projects with Luigi who was sponsored by Go Fast :) But even if that were not the case you are right, Chinese RedBull doesn't give a shit who i was sponsored by in the past :)

+ 1
People just need to be clear on exactly what it is that is being counted. The data is too easy to screw up and manipulate.
Is it possible some of this is based on the Chinese government's assertions about viewership for CCTV?

It's actually quite likely. It allows them to claim higher valuations for PVT and charge accordingly. China uses diary as a big part of their measurement (according to NAB) vs people-meters (costly) and so the data may be quite easily faked.

The following is an excerpt from Roland Soong The Statistical Reliability of People Meter Ratings. Journal of Advertising Research, February/March, p.51-56.
To counterbalance the claim of the television program host, the reporter interviewed a Mr. Hu at CCTV-SOFRES. Here is the translation:

According to him, the calculation of the rating is not based upon "the number of viewers divided by the total number of survey respondents."

First of all, the company will select 300 representative households by considering sex, education, family composition and other factors. Next, in order to reduce the effect of fatigue from participation in the survey, the company will replace 2% of the households in the sample. Furthermore, the calculation for a time period is based on the minute as the basic time unit. Thus, the number of viewing minutes is added up for all persons and divided by "total number of persons in the sample multipled by the total number of minutes in the time period" and the result is the rating for the television program.

Why does the sample consist of 300 households? According to Mr. Hu, "Based upon international standards, 1,067 sample persons is the point of balance between reliable numbers and research value. This number is the number of persons in 300 households in the case of China."

"From a sample of 1,067, we can achieve the international standard of being able to achieve an error tolerance of plus or minus under 3% at the 95% confidence level. If we increase the sample to 1,000 households, the costs will increase geometrically but the increase in reliability and the reduction in sampling error will be quite limited," said Mr. Hu."

Curious that they don't take into account the poverty levels of the majority of the country. India was busted a few years ago for something similar.

At the end of the day...the only people that should give a shit is the CCTV marketing and sales department. Any intelligent person knows that 500M is a specious claim and somewhat clouds the overall achievement.
Hundreds of millions of people saw a wingsuit fly through a hole in a mountain, and no matter how you slice it, it's a pretty impressive achievement whether one does or doesn't understand the logistics involved.

I have never been sponsored by Go Fast :) I did a few projects with Luigi who was sponsored by Go Fast :) But even if that were not the case you are right, Chinese RedBull doesn't give a shit who i was sponsored by in the past :)

you know, you are quite quite an icon in the sport; and you do your own thing. i admire that a lot! doesnt matter how stupid or redundant i think the stunts you do are. somehow you manage to grab the attention of the media and the worst whuffos.

props to you and i lift my hat in your general direction! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda