Skolls081102

Jeb's Wingsuit Landing Attemp?

$100 - no worries.

Open at 300 ft to film someone else doing it first -little to no worries.

Doing it first - no worries watching someone else and being a sheep. ;)

I must be getting old.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Hitting the ground with a high forward speed...I don't know what all the hoopla is about..:S:P

Last night, while driving home from a demo-jump, I got hit by a car on the highway (not my mistake)
I got thrown off my motorcycle and hit the asfalt at 120 km/h.

Both me and my motorcycle made a 80 meter slide.
And ofcource I wasn't wearing protective clothing (only a leather jacket)
My motorcycle was totaly wrecked...and I have 2 small scratches on my knees..and no other injuries at all..(I started rolling as soon as I hit asphalt)

So if everyone is worried about doing a 120 km/h belly-slide...it can be done...(but you don't want to know what my clothes looked like...it would probably cost you a wingsuit)

But anyways...sliding to a stop...it can be done :P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

So if everyone is worried about doing a 120 km/h belly-slide...it can be done...(but you don't want to know what my clothes looked like...it would probably cost you a wingsuit)

But anyways...sliding to a stop...it can be done :P

Some friends and I once bougth a large surface of plastic where we put a lot of soap and water on. After taking a run you could slide for very long and would come to a nice stop. Sure would be more agreable to land, would save your wingsuit (hell, it would be cleaned at the same time ;)) and would sure look fun like hell B|

And ofcource I wasn't wearing protective clothing (only a leather jacket)

foei foei ;)

Glad you are ok.

The closest I've seen anybody to landing a wingsuit is Loic's mountain swoop. He actually achieved zero relative velocity in distance between him and the sloping ground (ski slope surface), only a few feet above the actual ski slope!
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=352

Coincidentially, it has been reported that people have broken the 150mph barrier on downhill skiis before, and thus this is within wingsuit flight speeds.

Why not test the following instead, in a scientific manner:

Crazy ideas (probably pie in the sky)

1. (air test) Test aerodynamics of wingsuit flying with downhill skiis (but cutaway the skiis before deploying parachute). Both horizontal windtunnel and telemetry measuring in the air. Figure out if wingsuit remains controllable and the angle of skiis can still safely be adjusted with feet while flying wingsuit. May need custom designed skiis and boots. Experiment with different ski designs that does not interfere much with wingsuit flight (or even actually helps a bit with the flight). Skiis would be pointed upwards towards the face, much like a ski jumper. Figure out ideal angle of skiis and angle of wingsuit, and whether it is easy for skiier's feet to adjust the angle safely. Do several test jumps and a safe ski cutaway mechanism (non-landing tests)? And do computer simulations to verify ground-effect issues between ground and a low-flying wingsuit flyer wearing skiis.

2. (ground-only test) Test a really high speed ski run for stability on skiis. Pick the speeds up, 60mph, 80mph, 100mph on the downhill skiis.

3. (ground-only test) Pratice ski jumping. This will hone skills for safely setting down skiis after a freefall. Start wearing a wingsuit during olympic-style ski jumps. This further hone the skill of wingsuit control while skiing. Also tests whether wingsuit actually is pratical during skiing.

4. (ground-only) Research high speed wipeouts, and other safety considerations. How thick and thin the soft snow layer needs to be. Ideal landing angles that's within the abilities of the wingsuit flyer wearing skiis, as tested in earlier aerodynamic tests. Artifical snow vs natural snow, for ideal landing surface.

5. If all variables are good, rehearse the wingsuit landing using skiis at higher altitude and use high precision GPS to measure trajectory.

6. If all is good, attempt the actual wingsuit landing using skiis.

A high speed wipeout would be extremely dangerous, but people have survived 80+ mph wipeouts. Someone should do research whether this is safer than that proposed custom 5 million dollar structure that is not nearly as big as a well-selected ski slope?

Of course, all these may be crazy ideas, but I'm not sure anyone has ever done aerodynamic wingsuit-skiis testing at altitude to figure out whether or not it's still pratical?

Don't believe it's possible -- see this video and re-read this post again. I'm now beginning to think, maybe, just maybe... It's outlandish, indeed... But so is this video!

My crazy idea went a little like this: Basically a tailhook contraption like Navy planes use to land on a carrier, except adapted to a bungee. Horizontal flexible cable layed out, The hook/catch mechanism on the flyer's feet. All he's gotta do it hook the catch mechanism on the cable, and it's a bungee jump from there on out. So this would be setup at regular bungee sites of course. It would be easy to test since the jumper can still try it out with a rig, in case he misses the cable on the flyby. B|
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

My crazy idea went a little like this: Basically a tailhook contraption like Navy planes use to land on a carrier, except adapted to a bungee. Horizontal flexible cable layed out, The hook/catch mechanism on the flyer's feet. All he's gotta do it hook the catch mechanism on the cable, and it's a bungee jump from there on out. So this would be setup at regular bungee sites of course. It would be easy to test since the jumper can still try it out with a rig, in case he misses the cable on the flyby. B|

What should he wear in case he HIT that cable ??? :P
Duuuuude.... that was close ! ! !

Jarno, glad your ok, stay in one piece till I can fly your wings off, and as for speculation....Let jeb do his thing, he is not crazy, well educated and knows risk assesment!!! He knows whats up, let the man work on his project
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

From the BASE forum this thread

*snip*
See http://www.leisuresportsphoto.com- the people who do the Bridge Day photos every year - in the 9 to 10 am landings section, page 5 of 7
*snip*

Seeing those photos, and how much (little) canopy is overhead during his landing, I would say this is about as close as you can come to landing a wingsuit, and living to talk about it...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

From the BASE forum this thread

*snip*
See http://www.leisuresportsphoto.com- the people who do the Bridge Day photos every year - in the 9 to 10 am landings section, page 5 of 7
*snip*

Seeing those photos, and how much (little) canopy is overhead during his landing, I would say this is about as close as you can come to landing a wingsuit, and living to talk about it...

Not true. From Yuri (outrager):

"The ultimate wingsuit low pull award belongs to Den. He nearly landed a wingsuit a couple of years ago, impacting at line stretch with his slider still stowed in a C-line rubberband."

That was over the HARD LAND, not water.

:o :o :o

Ok, so let's say that your wrong. And you don't have to tell anyones friends "I told you so." What if, in turn, Jeb gets to tell you "I told you so." What if someone with "alot less wingsuit experience" does something that you can't or won't try to do? Will he get any credit then???
Damn, I ask a simple question, to which I still haven't gotten an answer for- and in turn I get a thread that is more suited for Speakers Corner.
I understand that some people don't care- but there are those of us out there that are interested, that do want to see it happen.
So I guess all you naysayers out there can take that anyway you like it.
Mike

What if...?
Try:
What if Dwain had lived?
What if Patrick had lived?
What if we were all born with wings?

If you want to know the general gist, search through the thread and find the 1000 other times this has been discussed.

Read about the jumpers wearing wingsuits who've hit with nothing out and survived.
Read about Dwain's notorious last jump.
Read about Jeb's cost estimate (last check it was several million, but we haven't caught up with Jeb since Swz).

And then maybe you'll understand why most of us are truly keen to see it happen, we're just sick of hearing people talk about seeing it happen.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

"The ultimate wingsuit low pull award belongs to Den. He nearly landed a wingsuit a couple of years ago, impacting at line stretch with his slider still stowed in a C-line rubberband."
That was over the HARD LAND, not water.

True.
Denis smacked in at Magland with little more than a pilot chute out. The ambulance crew purportedly refused to take him to hospital.:o
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I should probably add (as I do every time we talk about the rules and the reason denis has a titanium back) that the general consensus (and Dwain's infamous rule) was that "It doesn't count unless you can walk away from it.":S
xj

go to the incidents forum and read the thread about the CRW injury (it was me).

I landed with my main and reserve wrapped around each other. There was a third canopy partialy inflated. I spun and hit the ground hard, but am in good shape now all considering.

I wouldn't even think of trying it. The guy at bridge day is lucky...as I am. If anyone wants to think about trying, please fly out and visit me for a little. Hopefully I can talk some sense in to you :P

Groovy item..

I see he switched from the S3/S4 he has been flying to a stealth.
Does seem a better wingsuit for what he intends to do.

Dont know why he'd want to land a wingsuit at 'over a 100 miles per hour' as he quotes.
Seems like the whole idea is to slow it down soo much you can land and stand it up? 100 mph downward doesnt sound survive-able. And if its 100 mph forward, that doesnt sound like something you'd stand up on landing

Dont know about you, but the slip&slide project doesnt sound like landing a wingsuit to me?
Sure it be cool as f*ck, and Id be watching this stuff after/if he'd succeed.

But the wingsuit isnt even needed, and you could technicaly do it in normal freefall if you just get the aim right.

Im sure it atrackts lots of sponsor-money and more media attention.
And if thats the goal..yea..I think he can do it too...;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?