Skolls081102

Jeb's Wingsuit Landing Attemp?

STUNTS per say are just that,different set of rules and as long as the facts are presented to right people, well....anything flies!!!!how do you think movies are made?not all animation....Good luck Jeb, see you on exit point!!!
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

STUNTS per say are just that,different set of rules and as long as the facts are presented to right people, well....anything flies!!!!how do you think movies are made?not all animation....Good luck Jeb, see you on exit point!!!

True Perry, but I think unfortunatly the FAA doesn't change the rules, no matter how you present it, stunt or not, if it's anything other then doing "bandit" style or without being noticed by any FAA authorities, anyone jumping from an aircraft will have a parachute on......of some kind.[:/]

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

True Perry, but I think unfortunatly the FAA doesn't change the rules, no matter how you present it, stunt or not, if it's anything other then doing "bandit" style or without being noticed by any FAA authorities, anyone jumping from an aircraft will have a parachute on......of some kind.[:/]

Do the regs specify that the jumper actually *keep* the rig on?

If the apparatus were re-usable, and set up somewhere convenient like Eloy or Perris, are you saying you wouldn't pay a hundred bucks (or whatever) for a "landing ticket" and give it a go?

Turbine aircraft, wind tunnels, and lots of other toys cost way more, in their entirety, than I can afford individually. That doesn't mean they're way out of my league. It just means that I buy small increments (jump tickets, tunnel time, whatever).

But 6Mil gets you a big turbine or 3, a wind tunnel, and the DZ inself! The other 6 gets you one apparatus. Hopefully subsequent units go down in price!

If this was to ever happen it would definitely bring new meaning to the term groundrush;)

Yeh, I thought about that. For a while I was thinking it wouldn't even be that cool if it required elaborate expensive equipment, and wasn't done by virtue of the wingsuit. But then I started thinking about the visuals that the pilot would see before landing. Well, it would probably be the same thing Loic has seen while flying down mountains! And some of us see something very similar when we get near canopies that are open high! :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If you want the visuals for a landing like this you could just go hangliding or microlighting.

Dont get me wrong any stunt like this is great for exposure of the sport and I wish Jeb all the best for his attempt, I just dont see this as accessible to all skydivers, however if they could build 2 2000ft towers that would be very nice ;)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

If you want the visuals for a landing like this you could just go hangliding or microlighting.

Or BASE jumping over water. Impact with slider partially deployed is not all that uncommon, and the visual is reasonably similar to high speed impact (this is from multiple personal experiences with both).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

it would definitely bring new meaning to the term groundrush;)

I started thinking about the visuals that the pilot would see before landing. Well, it would probably be the same thing Loic has seen while flying down mountains!

If you really want to experience that same rush, go ground launching on a windy day with a WL of over 2:1, and try to get flying downwind close to the ground. Harness or front riser turn + loaded HP canopy + a good 25mph tailwind can put you at 70mph+ just inches off the deck. Think about Loic's forward and descent rates on that jump. Think about your experiences flying wingsuits with canopies. get the picture? Ground launching, with the right experience, gear, and conditions, is the safest and easiest access to big, fat ground rushes that can last for even minutes at a time.

I concur with Tom Green that line stretching (or even near it) into water is a total blast. Just... don't make a habit of it.

Sorry to pop in and go off topic. Back into the hills for me.

Besides the point raised by Leroy about FAA... can you imagine any DZO (much more "cool" than FAA in general) who would even let a jumper attempt this at their DZ on a regular basis? Some DZ's have a hard time with wingsuits already...

The FAA only cares if Aircraft are involved. DZOs only regulate what goes on at their DZs. Meanwhile you can fly your body anywhere there is suitable "airspace" Fixed object jumpers have been avoiding both of the above and enjoying their own spaces. Question is will aircraft be needed in this attempt and who will "regulate" these apparatus?

I still don't understand all the fuss...what on earth is the point of *landing* a suit, when the most important thing is actually *flying* one?

So you land a suit without using your rig. So what? Rig, no-rig. It makes no difference to the actual flight of the suit and the flying experience, which, lets face it, is what the suit is all about.

If Jeb wants to throw millions of dollars at this, go ahead. I just wish someone would throw this amount of dough at a project that designed a suit that could stay-up for 15 minute flights or more at a time. That would be truly amazing. Simply choosing a different way of getting safely on the ground once the flight is over? Yawn!

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

A lot of us out there have many goals and dreams, and each of us is different. You can win by doing and achieving those goals, and by accepting the outcome of your actions and attempts with a proper prospective and good attitude. Regarding safety, Jeb has said in the past that in a standard BASE jump he always "looks" before he jumps, to make sure he's not an endangerment to anyone on the ground. Regardless of past incidents that are out of our control to change, let Jeb take up this challenge if he's the one to do so.

When the time is right, go for it!

Flying high, I'm in it for the freefall. Olivia

I don't have any sort of real inside information either, though I did ask Jeb if the system had any sort of protection for the "jewels" and he assured me that it does... so that's good to know. ;)

As far as costs go, as with any new technology costs are normally ridiculously high at the outset. That's because there is no mass-manufacturing or marketing infrastructure in place. If the technology is viable it will slowly gain market share and prices will go down into the sane realm accordingly.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

As far as costs go, as with any new technology costs are normally ridiculously high at the outset. That's because there is no mass-manufacturing or marketing infrastructure in place. If the technology is viable it will slowly gain market share and prices will go down into the sane realm accordingly.

True to a certain extent, but the first wingsuit did not cost $6mil. :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I still don't understand all the fuss...what on earth is the point of *landing* a suit, when the most important thing is actually *flying* one?

I just wish someone would throw this amount of dough at a project that designed a suit that could stay-up for 15 minute flights or more at a time. That would be truly amazing.

I've toyed with the idea of attaching a jet engine to a skysurf board to see if to would increase your airtime. Anyone care to calculate the speed at which enough lift would be generated for level flight?

Those hobby engines for model aircraft can generate a lot of thrust. I guess it would have to be a BASE launch as noone will want turbines running in an aircraft.

I just wish someone would throw this amount of dough at a project that designed a suit that could stay-up for 15 minute flights or more at a time. That would be truly amazing.

I've toyed with the idea of attaching a jet engine to a skysurf board to see if to would increase your airtime. Anyone care to calculate the speed at which enough lift would be generated for level flight?

Those hobby engines for model aircraft can generate a lot of thrust. I guess it would have to be a BASE launch as noone will want turbines running in an aircraft.

Someone has already used jet engines on a rigid wing flight, can't remember who or where but it has been done.. didn't provide much lift if any if i remember correctly