flyinfishman

Google Earth + GPS

Tried the beta version of Google Earth which will eventually replace Keyhole.
Just another option for anyone interested-

You can download directly from a GPS device now.
3D is really nice, but I hope they find a way to display the tracks in a straight line by connecting each individual track point.
Hopefully the released product will be more wingsuit friendly!

:)Jim

Tried the beta version of Google Earth which will eventually replace Keyhole.
Just another option for anyone interested-

You can download directly from a GPS device now.
3D is really nice, but I hope they find a way to display the tracks in a straight line by connecting each individual track point.
Hopefully the released product will be more wingsuit friendly!

:)Jim

Now THAT is slick looking.. if only you could get some data out of it :)

Cute, but these pictures miss the perspective - it's not clear what's the length of the track relative to the ground features.

If it is anything like the keyhole stuff i've played with in the past, I believe you can change the perspective so that you're looking straight down -- in that view you should be able to tell the distance.

3.3 miles.... 10K down to 3400 ft.

You do get the perspective when you're actually looking at it in 3D and can tilt, zoom and rotate around it.
Straight up overhead view obviously is easier to judge distances, but if you know that dropzone you'd know by looking at the pictures that it's over 3 miles.

:)

Anyone tried this one yet ?

Yeah, I have been playing with World Wind for a little over a year now. Pretty cool stuff but not really skydive friendly and you need a smoking big pipe to download some of the graphics or it will take forever just to draw.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Anyone tried this one yet ?

Yeah, I have been playing with World Wind for a little over a year now. Pretty cool stuff but not really skydive friendly and you need a smoking big pipe to download some of the graphics or it will take forever just to draw.

But have you tried the GPS import feature ? BTW on my 2-year old PC (P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, ATI 9800, brand new 8 Mb/s ADSL), World Wind 1.3.1.1 runs great ;).

-- Sylvain

BTW on my 2-year old PC (P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, ATI 9800, brand new 8 Mb/s ADSL), World Wind 1.3.1.1 runs great .

Running it isn't hard for most modern machines. I was refering to the download of satellite imagery from the database.Even on broadband, it takes a while to draw some of the graphics as it is accessing the data over the net.

Fantastic program for research, especially seeing how it is free and pretty damn powerful.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING