ernokaikkonen

Europe to Africa wingsuit flight?

The guys are Skydive Empuriabrava staff and very experienced skydivers. At least two months ago they were testing for the flight using BM S3 suits. I do not know if they are getting S3S or S5 for the attempt.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

Will go check my map for the horizontal distance. 8min freefall time is ambitious :o

Yes, it's a tough job indeed and surely they need the right wind conditions for the flight to push them over the water. Concidering they need to wear extremely warm clothing, oxygen systems, tracking and flotation devices etc. for this kind of flight.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

8min freefall time is ambitious

My thoughts also. What is the limit? The suit's performance or the human's?

We want to use the FRWD Sport Performance Recorder to find the best training methods and to record the jumps....Some training jumps and naturally the final jump from Europe to Africa will be available to all readers at FRWD’s website at once they have taken place, so stay tuned...

At least it looks like we'll be able to examine the data afterwards, unlike someone's cross-channel crossing I could mention!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

The distance is:

from 8 mi (12.9 km) off Point Marroquí to 27 mi (43 km) at the western entrance.

So a shorter horizontal distance needed than Adrians '99 flight.

Flight level 40 seems a little excessive but hey when you are flying over that much water you want a bit of margin ;)
BASEstore.it

Does anyone know these guys or what sort of suits they are jumping?

All 3 pilots plus the camera man will be flying the S3S when they do this.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Flight level 40 seems a little excessive but hey when you are flying over that much water you want a bit of margin ;)

Yep, to cover 8 miles with an average glide of 2 would require about 21k feet in zero wind. Adding 4k for a very conservative opening gives an exit altitude of 25k - much easier to manage than 40k. Any tailwind will help to lower the required altitude even more. Of course, if you are given 40k anyway you can shoot for a much wider section of the straight ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

Yep, to cover 8 miles with an average glide of 2 would require about 21k feet in zero wind. Adding 4k for a very conservative opening gives an exit altitude of 25k - much easier to manage than 40k. Any tailwind will help to lower the required altitude even more. Of course, if you are given 40k anyway you can shoot for a much wider section of the straight ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

25,000 feet can be done with just warm clothing and bail-out bottles.
By 30,000' you start getting into the partial pressure suit range and by 40,000' they are going to need to borrow full-pressure suits from Spanish Army Special Forces or the Spanish Air Force.

All 3 pilots plus the camera man will be flying the S3S when they do this.:)

I don't know about the S3S and I only have about 120 S3 jumps, but 8 mins in a S3 sounds like a recipe for an impossi-pull if I've ever seen one.....:o

over 3 minutes on my S3 from 19000ft produced a rather significant 'twilight zone' when I got my hand on my PC handle and wondered if I even have enough arm strength left to pull it out the BOC..:S

but then again, maybe the S3S is significantly easier on the arms, maybe the guys trying this have a lot more arms-strength and endurance than I do, but all the same, if I were them I'd have a switched on CYPRES and make sure my wings are collapsed enough that I would have far in excess of a 78 mph descent rate all the way down from 2000ft

but then, I found the air at 21000 ft ASL already thin enough to have a marked increase in descent rate, so I'd have to say that it would be really difficult to achieve 8 minutes 'freefall' (maybe freeflight is a better term) in a S3 from 40 000ft.... (for someone who regularly does 2min35sec from 14000ft, if you get significantly better numbers than this, you should be laughing all the way)

on the flipside, they shouldn't need to hit 8 minutes to cover the distance required :D

it would be neat, though.... I'll be watching this one with interest.

soon to be gone

I don't know about the S3S and I only have about 120 S3 jumps, but 8 mins in a S3 sounds like a recipe for an impossi-pull if I've ever seen one.

Arm pressure on the S3s will be the same as the S3 for reasons stated here.

I did 4 and half minutes in an S3 last year, I used the leg pouch and opening wasn't an issue, flaring on the other hand was... :S
BASEstore.it

Arm pressure on the S3s will be the same as the S3 for reasons stated here.

Your assumption is incorrect. There are some substantial differences in the 2 suits. Trying to guess about the S3S is like someone trying to guess what the PF Phantom is going to look like, pure conjecture.

As for the arms being tired , it depends on the individual. We jumped from 23k at WFFC and recordeed almost 5 mins of flight with a pull alti of 2k. My arms were not overly tired that I felt pulling would be an issue. Another consideration is they will be wearing bailout bottles of O2 which will make a difference. Having jumped from 30k before I have other questions and concerns about their going to 40k. But I am sure they will work it out.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Ah, so is that's how they did it? They were wearing "monkeys of wings" :D

Also: "Nevertheless, soon they obtained the tension necessary to remove all the aerodynamic efficiency to the suit." :D

Automated translation has a way to go, but always good for a laugh.

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News