LouDiamond

S3S in action

What's the S3S? Jussi said it was a "special."

What's up with that?

t

It's a new version utilizing rigid ribs in all the wings and a different shaped arm wing that has a larger surface area. The forward speed and performance is a step up from the standard S3.The second "S" stands for Scott;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here is the text:

Add horsepower to your flight, get that extra flaring power and feel the performance gains!

INtroducing the skyflyer.3-special, or just s.3-s.

The s.3-s is a turbocharged version of the S.3 with a larger and more aggressive wing area. Utilizing semi rigid ribs, this creates a rigid wing profile and drastically increases peformance.

The S.3-S does not replace the regular S.3 but is rather a perfect choice for the experienced wingsuit flyer that wants extra performance with proven technology for a competitive price.

The S.3-S retail price is 899.00 EUROS or 1168.00 USD respectively. The S3-S comes with all standard options, front air deflectors, padded knees, and hook knife pocket. The S.3-S is only for the experienced wingsuit flyer.

I wonder what "drastically" means for this suit.. i find it hard to believe that these minor changes will drastically increase performance. Vesa, can you comment on this?

Also, why is there a picture of an S.3-S but no PHI?

The S3S in action from the nose in Lauetbrunned, Switzerland flown by Vesa. Enjoy:)

The video finally downloaded. It looks like Vesa's regular suit(of course if they are his standard colors....). Can any BASE jumpers post their view on the glide ratio achieved based on opening point and altitude?

Kris.

P.S: Robi replied to your PM

Here is the text:

Add horsepower to your flight, get that extra flaring power and feel the performance gains!

The s.3-s is a turbocharged version of the S.3 with a larger and more aggressive wing area. Utilizing semi rigid ribs, this creates a rigid wing profile and drastically increases peformance.

The S.3-S does not replace the regular S.3 but is rather a perfect choice for the experienced wingsuit flyer that wants extra performance with proven technology for a competitive price.

The S.3-S retail price is 899.00 EUROS or 1168.00 USD respectively. The S3-S comes with all standard options, front air deflectors, padded knees, and hook knife pocket. The S.3-S is only for the experienced wingsuit flyer.

HEY guys!!!!! I have had my wings clipped for post as this!!!!! This is advertising and is NOT ALLOWED in this forum!!!!!
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

Here is the text:

I wonder what "drastically" means for this suit.. i find it hard to believe that these minor changes will drastically increase performance. Vesa, can you comment on this?

Here is the text:

OKay i took the $$ parts out.. now we're just talking about a new suit.

I'm not sponsored by birdman and don't have anything to gain by talking about their suit(s).

Can any BASE jumpers post their view on the glide ratio achieved based on opening point and altitude?

Whilst I am far from the realm of Robi, Uncle Charlie and Vesa (who could do with eating a few more pies), I am quite impressed with a 22 second delay from 1600 feet (Yuri did 13 seconds from 1200 feet pulling low from the big Russian tower? although when you start low, anything higher gives you an almost exponential delay, if you get my meaning) with a greater than 10 second canopy ride (although the video ends before landing). I haven't been to the valley for a couple of years, but it looks like Vesa is landing on the other side of the road from the _other_ side of the valley? How much this has to do with Vesa's experience rather than the new suit, I am not so sure. Vesa, show us what you can do from there with a Vampire! ;-P
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I am quite impressed with a 22 second delay from 1600 feet (Yuri did 13 seconds from 1200 feet pulling low from the big Russian tower? although when you start low, anything higher gives you an almost exponential delay, if you get my meaning)

This is an awesome flight. Vesa rules!

As far as delays go, extra 400' gives you about 8sec (Ostankino flight was 15sec).

How much this has to do with Vesa's experience rather than the new suit, I am not so sure. Vesa, show us what you can do from there with a Vampire! ;-P

This delay highlights a very high pilot skill level. It does not, however, tell anything meaningful about the suit. For example, i get the same airtime in Classic, Skyflyer and Vampire. The distance is what's really important, and Vesa gets a lot of it! ;)

I believe that there is no measurable difference between S3 and S3S (nor between Classic and GTi).

bsbd!

Yuri.

23sec and opening the other side of the road is a good flight and requires great skill. :)
This has been done by various other pilots over the passed 3-4 years, with delays of around 26sec with the turn to avoid hitting the other side.

Looks like Vesa's normal S3, can't see sign of mylar ribs (preventing deformation) in the exit photo?
BASEstore.it

Looks like Vesa's normal S3, can't see sign of mylar ribs (preventing deformation) in the exit photo?

Are you are talking about this photo http://www.bird-man.com/images/attachments/_05_26_2005-_05_26_2004-FBA%20vesa%2004.jpg ? If yes it is his regular S3 but the photo is not from the same flight. That exitshot is taken in 2004 whilst the kick ass flight was made just couple of weeks ago.

But anyway, Vesa you're the man !
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Is the angle of attack of the S3S wing changed, or is it still straight front-to-back as in the previous S3?

The red and white "S3S" shown on http://www.bird-man.com/?n=News&id=766 has the same angle of attack as the old S3.

This suit was a custom S3 with a slightly wider leg wing and an extra rib in the arm wing. It was one of the early prototypes in the S4 development program made by Robi in 2003.
BASEstore.it

I'll take off my sarcastic hat for a minute.

I'm not interested in a brand bashing match either.
I own two suits from different manufacturers and like them both

I think it's great to see the proliferation of WS designs and manufacturers.

There are many opinions on which design is best for different purposes and which is better built. If asked for my opinion i'll give it but i have no interest is trying to argue that one is better than the other.

I don't see anything wrong with an individual poking a little fun. It's not like I'm a manufacturer making a dig at another manufacturer in a publication.

C-ya