The111

PHI info on Bird-man.com

Dude, that's not clear at all. Bats flap their wings, like birds. Wingsuits hold their wings steady, like aircraft.

I think he's hinting that birdman is releasing a new flying manual too.... hope you've been working you upper body out.

:D

It is easier to manufactuer and it is 1 less zipper that can malfunction, which also lowers cost.The zipper placement allows you to get your legs in easy and then the arms albeit with 1 zipper the same way you currently do in a 2 zipper suit. The problem with the first generation 1 zipper suits and other brand 1 zipper suits is getting your legs in and then gummby-ing your arms through the sleeves due in part to the zipper stopping at crotch level and being directly down the center. This design does the same thing 2 zippers does on the current suit.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It is easier to manufactuer and it is 1 less zipper that can malfunction, which also lowers cost.The zipper placement allows you to get your legs in easy and then the arms albeit with 1 zipper the same way you currently do in a 2 zipper suit. The problem with the first generation 1 zipper suits and other brand 1 zipper suits is getting your legs in and then gummby-ing your arms through the sleeves due in part to the zipper stopping at crotch level and being directly down the center. This design does the same thing 2 zippers does on the current suit.

Makes sense. There's no reason to have 2 zippers if you can do the same job with 1.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Have the zippers been replaced by sometihng a tad more heavy duty? I know some people were having issues with the zippers breaking on other suits. Also is the material that the arm cutaway cable tucks into any more durable then then stuff on the S3's? I wore a hole in my within 100 jumps due to the cable poking at it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Kudos on the scalloped design. Those wind tunnel guys must have really earned their keep. When I think about the complexity of trying to design an airfoil surface that has a constantly varying surface angle like that, well, my mind boggles.

I did some web browsing on bats and here are some excerpts, interesting reading.

MSN Encarta
============

Unlike most birds, bats are able to fly at relatively low speeds with extreme maneuverability, a feat achieved by the bat’s extraordinary ability to vary the shape and curvature of their wings and thus dramatically vary their aerodynamic lift.

wwf(www.wwf.org.nz)
=======
Bats' wings are far more maneuverable than birds' wings because they are able to move their fingers while flying, they have much stronger muscles and air can pass through their wings. For these reasons bats are able to perform amazing stunts and acrobatics during flight. They can also fly at great speeds for long periods of time.

to understand fingers see attached picture from this article.

Yet another article

It seems like the bat is capable of highly acrobatic flights because of its ability to dynamically change wing characteristics. Alas we are only human :(.

Kris.

Have the zippers been replaced by sometihng a tad more heavy duty?

The zippers are beefier and different from the current suit zippers. Cable stow tubes have also been reinforced to avoid poke through.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the papers you are referring are a study of leading edge turbercules and their effect on humpback whale flippers. it has nothing to do with trailing edge scallops....

anyway...they look cool and you know its all about fashion..

dan<><>l
atair
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Hey Tom, This may not be what you are looking for but i have a article about reasearch on the humback whale fins that Airplane manufactures are looking at because the knobs on the fins generate a tremendious amount of lift then when they dont have them. They are trying to use this in airplane design saying it will change everything. I"ll find it and send it to you if you like..B|

Chris

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Dude, that's not clear at all. Bats flap their wings, like birds. Wingsuits hold their wings steady, like aircraft.

Yes, birds do flap their wings, but airplanes have props. Just because we don't flap our wings doesn't mean we can't learn from a wing that does flap, anymore than we can't learn from an aircraft wing since we don't have props.

Ever see what birds do when they're not flapping, but still flying? They're gliding, just like us! B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

So how does it feel to be ignored? :D

The silence speaks volumes ;)

I agree w/ Gus & Dan, It looks cool :P

What was the question? Whether Lou had flown the suit? No, none of us have at this point as there are none in the United States.

I think the question was about pictures of the suit, since it was wind tunnel tested there should be actual photos of a suit somewhere.

The artist rendering is really nice but when are we going to see a prototype in use. I thought there were wind tunnel tests etc. Looks like this may be the DeLorean of the sky....

I will post picture of mine soon, ground and in flight. ;)

I have to say Ferrari instead of DeLorean. :)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I have to say Ferrari instead of DeLorean. :)

I would have gone with the DeLorean retro "Back to the Future" cool points myself... Ferrari are having a terrible season, Schumy didn't finish 3 out of 5 races and the company that owns Ferrari (Fiat) is 26billion Euro in debt.
BASEstore.it

I have to say Ferrari instead of DeLorean.

Good choice, DeLoreans looked cool but drove like pigs, Ferrari's have got looks and performance!

Anyhow where is this suit intended to fit into the market? I understand the Blade will be the new ultra supersuit for experienced fliers, will the Phi be suitable for newbies like a GTI or experienced people like an S3?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

will the Phi be suitable for newbies like a GTI or experienced people like an S3?

The PHI fits into the GTI arena but with a lot more manueverability and improved flight characteristics.

BTW: The S5 BLADE is SHARP;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

any chance of there being PHI demos at Skyfest in July?

There just might be as I believe Chuck is the man who would be doing that boogie. I'm not sure of his schedule so best check with him.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING