The111

PHI info on Bird-man.com

The thing that still kills me about birdman is the $90 shipping. They were gonna send me a GTi to demo till I got the bill and it was $90 shipping each way...

On a second note though, the suit looks nice, but only one ziper, is that correct?
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

the $90 shipping

That's if it comes from Finland to the US. Fortunately, we have a state side demo fleet being established that will preclude that. The new line of Demo suits will be available just like the current line is in the very near future through your friendly BMI's.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

No clue. In addition to that, I am curious how well the suit performs (in normal belly down flight) compared to a GTI or S3, and also, of course, how it flies acrobatically. Hopefully I'll get to fly one at WFFC if not sooner...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

On a second note though, the suit looks nice, but only one ziper, is that correct?

Yeah, it appears like it's just one diagonal zipper. The problem with 1 zipper on the Classic1 was that it was hard to get on cuz it only went down to your crotch. This diagonal goes down to where the 2 zippers usually go, so I'm assuming that would make it easier to get into the suit.

Also, does anyone know what a "double action cut away zipper" is? Some kind of new wing cutaway system?

Yes,It's another way to release the wings. It is a system Jari and I have been goofing with for some time. It works rather nicely and completely frees your arms in seconds.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Also, does anyone know what a "double action cut away zipper" is? Some kind of new wing cutaway system?

Yes,It's another way to release the wings. It is a system Jari and I have been goofing with for some time. It works rather nicely and completely frees your arms in seconds.

Is it similar than the system used on the European suits? One handle on you chest that free both arms?

Looking at the Birdman website it looks like the suit performance will be between the GTI and S3... am I correct?

-- Renaud

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

One handle on you chest that free both arms?

No, this deals with the zippers themselves releasing if need be. It is quite beefy and very durable.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the $90 shipping

That's if it comes from Finland to the US. Fortunately, we have a state side demo fleet being established that will preclude that. The new line of Demo suits will be available just like the current line is in the very near future through your friendly BMI's.:)

that's great, now if I can find a BMI that carries a suit built for us big boys, I'll be happy
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Yeah, it appears like it's just one diagonal zipper. The problem with 1 zipper on the Classic1 was that it was hard to get on cuz it only went down to your crotch. This diagonal goes down to where the 2 zippers usually go, so I'm assuming that would make it easier to get into the suit.

I wonder why change the tried and tested 2 zipper design. This surely has to be more cumbersome to get into than the 2 zipper suits even if it is easier to get into than a classic I, Matter, S-Fly, SG etc.

Any specific reasons?

Kris.

acrobatics

I am assuming this is in reply to.

Does anyone know what the theory behind the scalloped trailing edges is?

What is the theory behind this? How do scalloped trailing edges make a suit's flight characteristics better for acrobatics

Kris.

Thats a nice looking suit :)

I remember reading(one of the Birdman newsletters) that the New design team at Birdman had a fashion designer in addition to the usual geeks. I must say the fashion people earned their money. ;)B|

The suit looks nice. Offering only stock patterns and sizes reduces production cost and that is the reason this suit is cheaper. Just like the S-Fly.

Not a bad idea most people will not have issues with stock sizes.

Kris.

Does anyone know what the theory behind the scalloped trailing edges is?

I'd put money on the PHI having scalloped trailing edges simply because it looks kinda cool. :o The wingsuit 'industry' is getting more competitive and manufacturers need to make their product more easily recognisable. Same goes for the single zipper I guess. You have to admit that it's a distinctive looking suit.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

most people will not have issues with stock sizes.

As there are 6 sizes variations available, there will be plenty of leeway for all body types. In the case of the PHI, a slightly loose suit won't be a detriment as the PHI has a different inflation system than previous suits. For right now, suits will be stock size ordering and the 2 color schemes seen in the ad. This may change at a later date as the materials used become readily available in different colors.

As for the scalloped trailing edges on the acrobatic PHI , take a look at the bat and it's flying abilities and it may become clearer;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'd put money on the PHI having scalloped trailing edges simply because it looks kinda cool. The wingsuit 'industry' is getting more competitive and manufacturers need to make their product more easily recognisable. Same goes for the single zipper I guess. You have to admit that it's a distinctive looking suit.

Yeah, and with all the birdman logos on it - you almost look as if you're sponsored by the company :)

I wonder why change the tried and tested 2 zipper design. This surely has to be more cumbersome to get into than the 2 zipper suits even if it is easier to get into than a classic I, Matter, S-Fly, SG etc.

Any specific reasons?

I bet you it's easier to manufacture. Hence cheaper (both to make and on the street). Since the suit is also coming in pre-fit sizes, and pre-selected colors, I'd assume that cost was a driver in development.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

As for the scalloped trailing edges on the acrobatic PHI , take a look at the bat and it's flying abilities and it may become clearer;)

?

Dude, that's not clear at all. Bats flap their wings, like birds. Wingsuits hold their wings steady, like aircraft.

I'm assuming that their are acrobatic aircraft with scalloped wings? (I'm not trying to be a smart ass, here, I really don't know, and assume that's where this wing design would come from).

Kudos on the scalloped design. Those wind tunnel guys must have really earned their keep. When I think about the complexity of trying to design an airfoil surface that has a constantly varying surface angle like that, well, my mind boggles.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com