veter_

Russians successfully land a wingsuit!!!!!!!

But the guy with the redbull V-1 isnt Valery Rozov ? the skysurf world champion ?
http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=4

Just imagine what does it mean if you fly with a spoiler on the feet made using a board
(snowboard, kite board, wake board or ...)

yes difficoult to fly, but i think he has enought experience with the board.
Maybe the board slow you down a little... slow ? Damn it's what you need.
look at the last shot and imagine a board that work like a flap...
[URL]http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=26[/URL]

at pull time he is almost in stand up (see 1st shot)
[URL]http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=27[/URL]
and 1 second after he could make a 90° roll ...
(again the same link but look at the one before the land by zoomming in it)
[URL]http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=27[/URL]
...and land on the snowboard...
http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=35

...or maybe on whater...
[URL]http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=30[/URL]

We keep hoping this is a True News..

if it's not we can also drink some Wodcka and redbull and eat some sausages...
http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=32

Marco Claudio Fabrizio.
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi
pistolesi.marco(at)gmail.com

If they land in the water, here is an idea that i had in mind. Requires precision, but all these top guys are capable of it. In short: You soften the water by running air through it.

Run several pipes or hoses (with 1 inch holes at 2-3 foot intervals) on the bottom of a 100-200 foot body of water (either a river or a man-made rectangular pool). Run compressed air or CO2 from both ends of the pipes (to even the pressure). As air bubbles rise to the top they will greatly "soften" the water, reducing it's average density allowing the body to "sink" rather then bounce and "skip".

I have been working on a prototype, but not real life size :)
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Hey, you stole my idea! (Or maybe I stole yours.) ;)

Its because water is not compressible the impact is hard. Water with fine bubbles is compressible and can have any density between air and water, thus making smooth slowdown possible.

The key is to make water "bubbled" homogeniously over large volume (say 300x100x30ft), without any lumps of water which would hit hard.

Hmmm........... Jeb, are you going to land in a pond filled with BEER FOAM?????? (or maybe GoFast drink?)

:)

In my mind, the idea of landing a wingsuit is to do it without an extravagant "landing pit", that potentially could catch a regular old "freefaller".

It seems to me you guys are going through the train of thought that led to the invention of the parachute. :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Well, the landing apparatus and ski slope ideas are along the lines of a runway... they require minimal velocity normal to the landing surface, and mainly address the problem of forward speed (which is the biggest problem with a WS landing IMO).

The aerated water idea really addresses the vertical velocity more than anything else, and doesn't even require the pilot to slow his descent to anything impressive, so it's basically doing what a parachute does, and to me is much less of a "landing" than the other ideas above.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Platform divers use that kind of thing when training.

I've heard that...... for surface tension right? I always thought the sprays were for visual distance measuring and sight picture.

Any idea how much air (or C02, or whatever) would be necessary to create a "landing zone" a couple hundred feet long and hold it for, say, 10 seconds?

About 1203 SCFPM should do it as long as the pilot can be reasonably accurate. Of course we are talking about a large bank of portable large capacity screw drive air compressors and an unbelievably large and complex distribution manifold.

I've heard that...... for surface tension right? I always thought the sprays were for visual distance measuring and sight picture.

They actually are for both. When you see the spray from the side of the pool it is more for spotting, it is easier to see during rotations than a slick pool. For training, we used an air hose with a pipe on the end that had several holes in it. We turned it on before the dive to break surface tension when learning new dives. Very interesting theory in using this to land wingsuits.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

what about the ground lift effect.
A wingsuit what flies 10 cm over the ground will create enough ground lift effect and drag to get the forward speed out of it.
Put an extra border at the side of the wing, a border like the kangaroo slider what prevent the wind to get out in a straight line, and you will create your own hoover craft.
It does not take much but is very effective.

Anybody interested to do the test jumps? B|

A FreeFly Gypsy

Logic ONE
A crash landing is still classed as a landing. By that logic, Denis (coincidently Russian) has already successfully 'landed' a wingsuit...the ambos refused to drive him to hospital, but he nevertheless survived to jump another day. (And to organise Moscow BASE)

Logic TWO
Dwain's logic was that if you couldn't walk away from it, it doesn't count.
By that logic, it hasn't been succesfully done.

The real question isn't whether you can survive hitting the earth wearing a wingsuit, but rather,
what do we class as successfully landing a wingsuit?
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I have to be honest, this is the first post that actually scared me :) Landing is so much easier then everyone thinks. After it is done the first time there is going to be an army of jumper capable of doing it. Its all in the technology and you will be shocked when you see what it is. Before we even land the suit you will look at what we build and say, damn that is so obvious :) It really does make me happy that everyone thinks its so impossible. Its funny how everyone thought it was so impossible to fly before the Right Brothers did it...

Ya know Jeb until you posted that I didn't think it would be possible, but now for the last week or however long it's been since I read this I've been thinking, and I think I know exactly what you mean and what you're building. And yes, it does make sense, actually a lot of sense now. I won't spoil it but rather cheers, damn good idea if you do what I think you're going to do. Send me a PM if you're interested in what I've thought. Maybe it's not what you're doing, but could add to making it a safer jump.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

If you have carbon fiber wings, it is not a wingsuit

But it is a set of wings. So you could consider it a wing suit of sorts, a step cousin you could say
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I personally think that a carbon fiber wing, a cloth suit, basically any suit or device that helps to increase your fall time or distance is a "wingsuit"

it all is skyflying! we are all out there to have fun, not hate on other types of suits or ways of skyflying

so go fly and have some fun!;):):P
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Who said anything about hating? All I'm saying is that a rigid wing is not a wingsuit. It's a wing. Suits are flexible things you can wear. If a rigid wing is a wingsuit, so is a hang glider, and so is a Cessna.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

it depends on how you look at it. Symantics? rigidwing is part of the suit you wear...

again I say that it is all skyflying

I do appreciate your input though!;)
Leroy

It is all skyflying for sure, but it's not all bodyflying, and a rigid wing is not a suit. Nor is a fabric suit a rigid wing.

rigidwing is part of the suit you wear...

No, it's not... look up the meaning of "rigid".
www.WingsuitPhotos.com