mariavon

Shugar glider photos

Mccordia....you beat me to it. I was going to photoshop a pic to look exactly like what you just did. THAT is the tail design I was talking about..... Now if I can just get Maria to build me one like that....
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

mccordia!!! what have you been doing inside my head!? this is a pic from our archive (very low res - sorry) of one in a series of suits we made for Shaun Smith about 18 months back. The lovely round extended tail that dear Jarno lifted out of my brain while I was sleeping is trailing behind Shaun on the floor. We will look for more pictures that illustrate better and post the here.

You can see the vents at the tips of the wing cells - those we had to put in to stabilize the suit. Someone - ManBird I think, remarked on this forum way back in 2004, after seeing this suit that it would be like a piece of plywood in the air... he was right. It just stopped up there and then started skidding and spinning and being extremely willful, doing it's own mad thing... well I'm exaggerating, it was not that bad but it was definitely too wild. The vents helped a lot and I wanted to get the feet to become fins in the air to correct spinning and sliding. So we built these fabulous fins down the middle from the knees to the toes. Great! that worked too - better stability and control, but again.... a whole new set of challenges and problems to solve and this is at the heart of our current development... What we are bringing out this year will really put expel some of the more gruesome "ghosts in the machine". Jarno - we definitely share an uncanny sense of beauty. Thanks.

Not sane: You wanna jump it ? no prob, just as long as you meet/ have at least the minimum wingsuit experience required.

suit's already going someplace else after texas. but dont sweat it , it will get there.

and that pretty much goes to anyone who wants to try it.
as long as your in the US its fine,

drop me a line

Thanks Paul it arrived in the mail today just as promised - now if only the weather will cooperate!!

Thanks
Voodew

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Well heres the review -- the weather was great and the AFF students came out of the wood work so I did back to back AFF jumps all weekend.
Hopefully Professor will give his review as he and Flyinbob both put jumps on it and laughed at me all weekend.
If I remember right Professor was impressed and flew a 42mph avg as per protrack - maybe next weekend I can try it before I have to send it back -

Thanks Paul
PS
due to the lastest info about weeks from now on our order!

Yeah Paul, Kathy told me 4 weeks from last monday, or 3 weeks from today, so mid April sounds about right. Based on some other stuff she told me, though, I wouldn't be surprised if that date slipped too, though.

As for the Sugar Glider, interesting suit. Voodew was scared to jump it , so I had too, and now he wants to. :ph34r: My first impression of the thing wasn't very good. I don't feel it holds up to the construction standards set by other manufacturers, and some obvious things are missing, like snaps to hold up the leg wing, and any logical place to stow the excess cutaway cable. The suit was easy enough to rig up, but I'd like to see the back zippers mounted inward, alla the SFly, for easier access. The only truly scary thing about the suit was that slightly small rigs seem to have a chance of the reserve and cutaway handles 'submarining' into the suit. This happened to Voodew's rig when both he and I put it on. It didn't seem to be a problem with Bob or I's larger rigs. Also, the zippers were crap.

On to flight. This suit is simply amazing to fly. On my one jump with it, I had my slowest free fall speed ever, 42 mph! I jumped out, opened up the wings and it felt like I stopped :o. The rest of the flight was the sensation of just cruising along. Forward speed was not too bad. I was able to keep up with Bob in his GTI, while falling 20 mph slower than him. Physical strain is considerably less than in an S3. Imagine just holding your arms straight out for a couple minutes, and that's about it, except in the front of your shoulders, not the top. The suit seems pretty stable, definitely less demanding technically than an S3, but a little less stable than the GTI. Anyone comfortable with their GTI will be fine in a Sugar Glider. Amazingly, the wings don't obstruct the pull at all. I was able to access my hackey easily on the ground. In the air, the rear deflector got in my way a little, but nothing bad. Body position on the suit seems to be very forgiving and intrinsic, you pretty much just stick everything out. The suit feels very 'rigid' in flight, and you can really feel all the wing area. Playing with body positions (dearching, shoulder rolling, etc) seemed to have little effect on flight performance. I really had the sensation of being 'inside' the wing, instead of having wings attached to me.

Overall, very fun suit to fly, with great potential. Easy to manage in the air, and easy to fly. If I had to land a wingsuit, this would be the one I chose. This is a great suit for just bebopping around in the clouds. Materials and manufacturing could use cleaning up, though, but this may be because the suit I have is a little 'pre release'. Also, the submarining handle issue really needs to be fixed.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

<>> hahahhaha that wooz ! altough I dont blame him, the first time I saw that suit I'll have to say it was intimidating due to the amount of fabric, but I know he'll be fine,
Im glad You liked it,

and dont worry about the construction of the suit, I spoke to Maria last week, and she is well aware of the zipper problem and other small details, as she is already working on the solution for these issues which will reflect on the SG2 when it comes out.
as You know the team is manufacturing the suits in S.A and some of the materials like the heavy duty zippers need to be imported etc etc,

best regards
ps where is the video ?
paul

Keeping it real 22x7

Cool. Is the SG2 just a manufacturing upgrade, or a design upgrade also? It'd be nice to see the suit made from the same heavy duty ZP that the BM suits are made from, and maybe some nice neoprene for the back, like an SFly. And the zippers and handle thing, too. As for video, I've got some great vid of the ground around Salado, TX, if you'd be interested. Well over 2 minutes of it, actually. Hopefully the weather and AFF/Tandem students will hold off this weekend and we can get a few more jumps and some flocking on that baby. And some pictures.

Ted

Voodew was scared to jump it , so I had too, and now he wants to.

Ted is completely correct I was afraid that if I jumped the suit our DZO would blow a f'in gasket as he hasn't been able to put an AFF student up in months due to weather.

Should be able to jump it this weekend even though the suit is quite big on me ( I am not a fat ass like Ted!)

Ted is completely correct I was afraid that if I jumped the suit our DZO would blow a f'in gasket as he hasn't been able to put an AFF student up in months due to weather.

So then what was "It's all you dude, you go ahead. I don't think I'm going to jump it.":D

I am not a fat ass like Ted!

No, your ass is quite skinny. "Do you see how skinny my waste is and how big my belly is?"

Anyway, it's not a very 'needy' suit in the air. If you lived through the S3, this thing will be a piece of cake.

Ted

OK!! OK!!

I was intimadated by the handles falling inside the suit - maybe I can borrow your BIG rig and I will feel better. (It shouldn't have scared me as my Icon/Pilot/Smart rig works great for a wingsuit rig! It always opens soft and even flys straight with line twist. )

It would have been nice if the suit fit me better too - but don't bitch at least I got it in town for you to jump!!!!!!

<> I think its mostly gonna be a bit of both , altough the shape of the suit will pretty much remain the same.

Jason is right, I kinda knew it was gonna be a little big for him, oh well, he can always put a little pillow under his tshirt :)

video... Yes!, I like to watch. :o

pau

Keeping it real 22x7

<> I think its mostly gonna be a bit of both , altough the shape of the suit will pretty much remain the same.

Cool. At this rate, they'll be on the SG4 by the time my vampire gets here:ph34r:

Jason is right, I kinda knew it was gonna be a little big for him, oh well, he can always put a little pillow under his tshirt :)

Trust me, more bulk in his shirt is not what he needs :ph34r: He could use more bulk in his pants. :D

video... Yes!, I like to watch. :o

We'll try to do that. Have you ever flocked with this thing? How did it work? Bob averaged 70 mph in it, so it'll obviously fall fast, but how is it flying with small BM suits? Maybe we can be the first people in the US to flock in a sugar glider.

Anyway, the suit fit me good and Bob better, so it wasn't wasted sending it to us.

Ted

Tim (from S.A) and I did a two way, where I was wearing an s3 and I could see him collapsing his wings to keep up with me (or rather down) . I'd would also say the SG its flockable when you mix it with other suits.

and yeah, flocking in SG's will be flappening this flummer, and Im flooking flockward to it.

paul

Keeping it real 22x7

Good review, Ted. I concur.

I went on the load where Ted 1st jumped the SG (I jumped my GTi). I let him leave the a/c a second or so before me so I'd be above him to watch what happened. That lasted about two seconds - until he popped out his arms and legs. Then, swooosh! He rose past me like I was hugging a rock. Hoping he'd exercise it some and use me as relatively stable reference point to learn its control characteristics, I hung out for a few seconds looking all around for him - no Ted. So I flipped over and backflew to see him 1500 ft above me, flying about my pace, just a helluva lot higher and slower.

After seeing that Ted didn't get killed on his test jump, I took a turn. It was like being inside a balloon. I could pretty much just relax and the suit flew me. I'm taller than either Voodew or Ted so the suit was tight on me from shoulder to toe (but my handles didn't submarine). I think this fit made me have too much leg wing as I had to work a lot with my shoulders and narrow my legs to reach the bobble point. I was trying to do lots of turns so being slightly head down / legs up I was cooking more than I do in my GTi. Where the GTi turns like a sports car, the SG turned like a truck. It is defintely BIG. I only punched it out a couple of times during the jump (Ted said it wore him out to punch it for the whole jump - to achieve 42mph). The second time I punched it out after diving a bit to see how much force there was (not near as much as pulling an S3 out of a dive).

Didn't have near the trouble on my practice pulls finding the hackey as I did on my first S3 flights. After opening, I had no trouble with the zippers, but could not pull the booties off my toes. Too tight. This is because of the tall fit I'm sure. No problem landing though.

Looking forward to trying out my V-1 when it gets here!

Flyin Bob

Old Guys Rock!

I know that Jules is really tall and the suit looks very long in the pics.
Will there be opportunities for shorter and smaller frames (I.e Girls) and how will this affect that rear leg wing design?
The rear wing looks huge. Will we beable to control it at will?

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Thanks for asking Beverly - our new production model will be suited to all shapes and sizes, men and women and levels of experience.... we will be offering a choice of "fledgling" or advanced wings and as each suit is tailor made, the grading of the sizes is proportionate and maintains the integrity of the design through all sizes. Obviously being a mostly female team we are extremely keen to get some girls up there!

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

From what I've seen of the way you fly your GTi, you should have no technical hassles with the Sugarglider. It's just a case of finding what you want out of a wingsuit. I'm guessing though, that with your bodytype, you're going to get some serious time up there!

t
It's the year of the Pig.