Tonto

PC in tow / Hacky Mal...

weekend before last I had a PC knot in tow that was a wings 32"PC with the freefly pud on a subterminal jump. It ended up knotting the PC off. I perfect overhand knot with no bridle entanglement at all. not fun at all. but still alive.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

weekend before last I had a PC knot in tow that was a wings 32"PC with the freefly pud on a subterminal jump. It ended up knotting the PC off. I perfect overhand knot with no bridle entanglement at all. not fun at all. but still alive.

Where you jumping a wingsuit?

Or a H&P?

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Is it the 'freefly' handle attached to the apex with a 1 inch long piece of tape, dangling away from the PC or is the handle sewn directly to the PC?
In calling around to different manufacturers lately I've found that they don't seem to know about the PC in tows from certain handles and still put hackeys on their 'wingsuit friendly' PC's.
glad you're OK!

still put hackeys on their 'wingsuit friendly' PC's.

IMO you get what you ask for.
Their 'wingsuit friendly' pc's only say the bridle is longer and the diameter is larger then the normal production pc's.
If you want something other then that, simply "ask" them to make it for you. ;)

Be safe.
Ed

I have, and yes, you must be very specific with you want.
I was trying to make the point that all the discussion going on about hackeys or handles prone to wrapping seems to be new information to manufacturers.
they say "I've never heard of that happening before...."

I hear ya, but I've never had anything like that happen with over 800+ wingsuit jumps with an original hacky.

IMO, it's weak throws that cause most the knots in this case. [:/]

But that just my opinion. ;)

Be safe.
Ed

IMO, it's weak throws that cause most the knots in this case.

In my experience, it's actually direction of throw that causes the problem. Pitch forward, into the relative wind, and you end up with the PC trying to inflate throught the "flailing wad of bridle".

I don't know how much a typical wingsuit pilot thinks about direction of PC toss, but it's definitely worth considering.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey there Tonto,

Glad to hear he made it out alright.
I have a hackey that came with the PC I got from Birdman. I have weighed it in light of this incident and compared it to my "normal" hackey and a pipe and found that although the pipe is lighter than a "normal" hackey, it is somewhat heavier than the hackey supplied from Birdman.
Anyone else find this?

I've had zero problemos so far but Bruns who had changed from a puff to a hackey has had two near pc in tow.

Take it easy boys and girls,
Ca-Caw!!!
Courteney.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

PC trying to inflate throught the "flailing wad of bridle".

In that case I'd have to say the way the bridle is folded in the pc would have to be a determining factor. [:/]

Perhaps. Personally, I think the biggest factor is the way the bridle is stowed (inside the PC at all). The best fix I've seen is a secondary bridle pocket that stages the bridle as the PC moves to bridle extension. I believe this is now standard on Morpheus rigs.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

H n P...

it is the the freefly handle that is attached with tape...it hangs out from apex at least 2"...Wings is sending me a new one...but they clame it is not cause of the dangleing handle that caused my problem...more the size of my PC. so...who know's. I did have a strong throw out...but it might of been as Tom said more forward than sideways...i don't know for sure.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

One thing for sure... If you have a lazy throw you're throwing your pc into a horse shoed bridle if you get the picture? Your bridle catches air before your pc is released. (at 100+ mph it happens fast) If you watch a toss in a slow motion video you'll see the bridle is above you (especially when tossing a tandem drogue). The wind you are throwing in is much fast than the human reflex (release). So this is ONE good reason why the pc comes in contact with a bridle. So... the less snag points on a pc the better.