SCARYPERRY

cutaway of wing in freefall

Was just wondering and hoping some others here HAVE cutaway wings in freefall/before pull,as to what went on in air and what your minds first response was.When given new suit to test, I have always chopped wings before pull so that could experiance it real time,before it was a HAD TO scene!!!!
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

Not me, bro. I am not about to chop my wings in freefall unless I can't find any other option of flying myself down to a safe pull altitude before deploying normally. I have blown out every zipper on a suit other than a main zipper and have had not problem in any of those cases simply taking my arms and legs out of the equation (both arms behind my back, feet on my butt) to fix the problem. If one arm came totally unsewn on the inside seam because of getting snagged on the door or something I am sure I could still get everything out of the wind behind me and pull safely. For that matter, I have generally been able to maintain a decent glide even after losing a bootie and blowing a zipper. I have not had cause to chop a wing in over 700 flights. You have a lot more flights than I do now, Perry; have you ever run into a situation where you thought you HAD to chop a wing?

I have blown out every zipper on a suit other than a main zipper

Just out of interest how have you managed to blow every zipper out on suits, lots of jumps, very tight fit or high speed swoops with plane outs and high loading of the suits? I have made 450 jumps on 2 suits and never had a zipper problem other than one breaking, all my zippers now have a split ring with 2 inch elestic which loops over my thumb.

would be interested to know though how they got blown out failed, seam zip, tight fit, wandering around the bar with wingsuit still on trying to get beer to mouth with wings zipped :P

Cheers

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Never had to chop it out of need. We teach that we can always chop wings to pull. Been playing with that a bit.Didnt get a chance to chop wings on s-fly. Chopping wings BEFORE deployment has very intersting reactions as far as flight mode, pull seq.ect ect!!! I try to experiance things before it becomes have to,no alternive,so if real time emengency comes along, able to repond, not react! I have found that the wing once cut away from suit,makes lots of noise,adding confusion,stability problems follow,and the whole scene can be confusing,what do I do next kinda thing
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

Likewise, Tom. My original GTi, the first suit I ever made a jump on, had been in the demo fleet for nearly two years when I bought it. I put around 200 jumps on it and then sold it to Scott Campos. He kept it for about a year and then I traded him my original skyflyer in early 2003 when I got my S3. I got my that original GTi back in the deal. That suit has well over 700 jumps on it and has had more than a little abuse. Zippers failed at times due to having too much clothing on underneath, broken off slides, etc. Each time they blew open I was generally able to keep the suit tensioned with the thumb loops and the booties. When I could not keep it gliding efficiently I would just pull everything in and fall down to a safe altitude and pull.

I chopped the wings on my second or third BM jump. I was going for the pull, looked for the handle for a bit and then suddenly went into a head down spiral, probably because I let the leg wing open. I resumed flight, realized that I was below my planned opening altitude, and didn't want to repeat what I'd just done. So, I closed my leg wing, chopped the arm wings to get them out of the equation, and deployed from a regular body position.

Other than that, I've once chopped the arm wings after opening to get out of linetwists.

Howzit,

Just out of interest the other day I chopped my wings before deploying. Just to see if the shit ever had to hit the fan, that I could chop em without any problems.
Well it was interesting, they both released fine, did find that I had a helluva drop as soon as they released, made very sure not to lose a cutaway and deployed without problemos.

I recommend it for any wingsuit pilot out there to experiment and put their suits through their paces to avoid any nasty surprises when the time comes.

Cheers,
Ca-Caw!!!
Courteney.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

I recommend it for any wingsuit pilot out there to experiment

If you decide this is a worthwhile exercise (?) make sure you cut away both arm wings at the same time ..:S Things could get exciting otherwise.. [:/]

Cleaning and an occasionally wiping your yellow cables with a teflon wipe (a la Cypres) can't hurt either.

Long flights,
J
BASEstore.it