smokejmprwannab

packing faster

Pack yourself often. That's what it takes.

Packing is a skill that takes time to refine. First of all, worry about the quality and neatness of the packjob, speed will come to you eventually.

Those packers that can give you a nice opening every time (usually) and can still pack your rig in the time that it takes you to set your brakes and slider didn't start like that. They started in the same place you did, slowly packing to make sure that it is right.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In that case Aggies right,the more you pack the quicker/better you'll get.
There is a trick thats been mentioned before though,with regards to "bagging" the canopy.Do the last fold first,bag it and then'S'fold the first fold into the D bag.
I know my description isn't too concise,but i find the above method of bagging the canopy alot easier and therefore quicker.
Hope i been of some help/use.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Do the last fold first,bag it and then'S'fold the first fold into the D bag.

I used to do that a couple years ago. I can pack twice as fast, doing the complete S-fold before bagging now, and my packjobs are neater then they used to be...

Its about finding what works for you, since we're all different in what works mechanically for our body.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If it's any comfort, I have the same canopy. It probably takes me 20-25 minutes to pack.

I don't care that I've just laid the cocooned canopy down on the ground when the packer next to me is folding up the pilot chute. I'd rather take a little longer, and make sure I packed correctly than speed through the pack job, pat myself on the back for my speed, then next jump be flying my reserve.

Speed will come with time and more packjobs. Once you learn the little tricks that work with your canopy, the speed will increase.

as others have said, speed will come with practice. Also what I did was watch those people who can pack in 5 minutes and picked up some of their little tricks. Like instead of clearing between your A's and B's etc one side at a time, I do it at the same time. I just slide my hands in between the line groups, give it a littel karate chop to the outside and move onto the next line group.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Its about finding what works for you, since we're all different in what works mechanically for our body.

I agree, I am one that have tried doing the last fold first and bag it and can't do it, I have no idea how the other people do it.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Are there any techniques I can use to pack my F111 Raider 220 faster (besides letting the packers deal with it)? Right now, it takes me 25-30 minutes from the time I lay it out, so I tend to finish at about the time the load I was going to get on is well on their way to altitude.[:/]

Buy a smaller canopy. (I'm only 1/2 joking).

Figure out what steps take you the longest and figure out how you could do those steps quicker.

Do you start packing as soon as you get in the hanger or do you talk to people?

Do you take care of your slider and set the brakes in the landing area or wait until the hanger?

As long as you have line continuity (no flip thru/ step thru) and line tension, a lot of the flaking can be done as fast as you want... ;)

Try packing as fast as you can and then analyse your pack job and pack it again. Be safe. If you focus on each step (one at a time) and packing quickly you'll get faster...

Often I'll see people who take so much time on each step that they forget if they have done the previous step in the pack job; stop go back and check, etc, etc. Like watching a dog chase it's tail.:P

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Packing faster primarily comes with practice. As far as techniques go, there are lots of different ways to pro-pack. I use a combination of techniques I have learned from various packers that make packing neater and faster. What works for one person might not work well for you.

When I teach packing classes I usually show the students several techniques and see which one they are most comfortable with and help them with that one. Just ask different people how they pack, and see which one works best for you. When you find a technique that works just incorporate it into your pack job.

pro pack

HAHAHAHAHAHAH... really? wow, cause i smoke all but the fastest packers on the DZ (busy dz) and i flatpack...

i guess if i start propacking (yes i know how) i could get it done before they even get to the packing area.. dude, i jsut went back in time!!

Seriously though, get it out of yer head that this or that general technique is inherently faster, cause it is entirely about practice and finesse, abd about doing things right the first time, and cutting out wasted movement... shit what's one of the biggies right there... i still can't hold a candle to the main packer from back home.. "no wasted movement" is how we explain the phenomenon that is harry.

oh yeah, and he flatpacks :P

jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time