JeepDiver

Jeb Corliss Gets Set For World Record Landing Attempt

Just timed the segment of Jules in the SG off Shmel,
and it was only 35 seconds. ;)

Ed

What did the graphics claim? In time and altitude?

The graphics mean nothing.

As Kim said, he flew from the top of the 3000ft wall, flying toward the cafe, and opened at 600ft with 60sec of flying time total.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

hi everyone .. I am the designer and developer of the Sugarglider wingsuit . i started the project when Shaun Smith brought me his Birdman suit and an early Soulflyer ... i had never seen or heard of this sport up to that point but my heart started beating like the wings of a bird .. oh my .. so piece for piece we "grew " the wings and i made design changes while Shaun and Jules tested the suits .. well we have come a long way and we have made a few suits even bigger than the suits some of you have seen fly .. I have followed all the discussions on the possibilities of landing without a chute , glide ratios and all that stuff and sadly i dont sense enough optimism .. ladies and gentleman .. man was made to fly .. and land his wings .. i have had a vision .. i have been busy for the last year on a wingsuit thats gonna do it .. its so very different to our current suit so no clues there but its safe and easy and so pretty .. Jules may just touch down before Jeb .. unless Jeb wants to fly with him ? i have his measurements ... ? anyway back to work now .. i feel some pressure ! ! ok .. safe and happy now everyone ... look up and smile ...

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

Hi Maria !

Nice to see You online and welcome to the board, sounds like very interesting things are happening in S.A.
Somebody is having much fun !! :)

FYI to the forum: I ordered a SG from Maria a little while back and She and Cate are the nicest women to deal with ! ! Their vision and approach to creating the SG is none other than impressive,

Surely another step forward in the developmental process of human flight

Way to go guys and look forward to getting my paws on that suit.

best regards
Paul

Keeping it real 22x7

um .. Quade ... well i made Fantastic Paper Jets in class at school .. and i can clearly remember assembleling a kite or two .. but i dont like things tied to strings so much .. no honestly most theory i have come across on aerodynamics is from guys that fly our suits and you boffins on this forum .. to explain myself i have to say i OBSERVE nature and form and the inspiration comes ... and otherwise i am a very expierienced designer and pattern cutter ... frankly though .. i cant be bothered to second guess my insights .. after all what came first ? the bird or the science ? dont worry though .. i am very thoroughly advised and checked at every point by various expert minds .. our development methods and procedures are safe and sensible ...

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

So are the Sugargliders commercially available now?

How would your average Joe-Schmo like me go about ordering one?

Does anyone have any hard data in regards to glide ratio on the Sugarglider?

I've read conflicting posts on here where some say it's better than the S3, others say the fall rate is the same as the S3 without the glide.
?
Hard to make a conclusion without the same experienced pilot in both suits.

This would be the logical choice for a landing attempt.
All the float without the high forward speed.

Not being sarcastic- Good luck to whoever attempts it!

:)thanks,
JIM

This would be the logical choice for a landing attempt.
All the float without the high forward speed.

I really think a high drag, high lift suit (like, say SG) is the way to go for anyone thinking about trying to land. Using the speed=lift suits (which in my opinion generally have better glide ratio) ought to yield higher total speed.

I have seen SG and S3 flown by the same (not super experienced) pilot. It looked to me like the S3 had superior glide angle, but the SG was noticeably slower in both (forward and down) dimensions.

I'll send a case of beer to the first person to land a wingsuit, wherever in the world it happens. :)
edit to add: The case of beer thing is going to be particularly funny if it's Jeb.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In reply to : <
How would your average Joe-Schmo like me go about ordering one? >>

Jim: Maria along with the rest of the production team out of South Africa are currently shifting gears as far as streamlining the production process of the SG. They recently moved to a new facility which will allow them to start focusing on production of the suit.

I think they are slowly starting to become pretty busy as the demand for this suit is starting to pick up.
They are pretty amped about this.
I have the order / measurements sheet if You need a copy , there are a couple of extra measurements that need to be taken as welll, but other than that all the rest of the measurements are pretty much the same as compared to any other wingsuit.

Let me know if you want the contact info as well,

I couldnt tell you the "jump numbers or experience" required for this suit , but I suspect you should be pretty proficient flying any of the other suits outhere before you consider stepping up to this one.

this is just my take on it. Im sure they will clarify any questions You may have.

Best regards
Paul

Keeping it real 22x7

Hi I jump at the same dz where Jules over the past few weekends flew his Sugar Glider next to Rob Kruger under canopy - Rob was flying wingloads between 2.8 and 3.1 on a Xaos 27 - 78sqft using some extra weights -
footage from Rob's view doesn't look right haha ...pretty awesome stuff
So knowing Jules for quite a while he has jumped everything from BMclassics to S3 , luigsuit , vampire and Sugarglider and general feedback is that he prefers the SG - i guess it's personal pref...

"thinking is not knowing as looking is not seeing"
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

Just wondering if there are any rules for this wingsuit-landing effort. ;)
It also sounds like there should be a better prize than a case of beer.
Does slope soaring a wing-suit count (take off and landing thank you very much )

What if the wing-suit has very big wings ? Does it still count?

The world of wing-suit landings could do with a few guidlines otherwise every second kid with an umbrella already has us beat.

While I have huge respect for both Jeff and Luigi and what they have both acheived in their respective fields, I'm reminded of a quote by Henry Ford.

"You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do."

How long have we been reading hype on people who are going to break Col Kittinger's (sp?) record? I see plenty of crit on what he did (not real freefall, use of drouge, etc) I don't see anyone duplicating it, or bettering it in the last 43 years or so. Plenty people talking. No people doing.

t

I agree with you 100%. So much hype, so many posts... all useless. Lets just wait and see.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Once upon a time ...
.....when wing-suit landings becomes common place perhaps few people will realise how 'impossible ' it had seemed to some .
Believing something is possible and then talking about it with like minded people (edumacation) are two good steps in making something happen.

Everyone looks up from the trenches.