JeepDiver

Jeb Corliss Gets Set For World Record Landing Attempt

Well, pro-skiers have slip-ups at 70mph and do exactly the same thing, and then walk away without a scratch.

The pro-downhill speed skiiers take a tumble doing close to 100mph and it royally fucks them up. Sort of like hooking in.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, pro-skiers have slip-ups at 70mph and do exactly the same thing, and then walk away without a scratch.

If they're lucky they walk away without a scratch. But some have been known to die (I forget her name but one of the top female Swiss or German skiers died in a race in the mid 90s) and then there was the infamous raggity-anne-doll impression crash by Todd Brooker from Kitzbuel in the 80s to name just a few.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Loic flew his suit on a slope that he still had range on. In other words I doubt that it was at his max glide angle but instead one that he could pop-up and a way from if needed. But if you watch him bird-dog the cReW formation on the beginning of the disc you can see him actually climb in relation to the formation and, despite slow-mo, I bet he is still flying slower then.

Don't get fixated on flying down a slope. You wouldn't have to land going straight down the fall line but instead across a slope from the side. This way you can bail if the approach is not optimum and you can pick the angle and speed.

Lets not get one demensional either. The plan could be to fly into some kind of bungie net stretched across a gorge. Jeb has already flown down the gorge. You just need a specially built "soft" net. Kinda like some x-treme moto stunts artists have done. But because of the speeds you need soft.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know what the plan is other than crazy, I wouldn't be doin it.

This has also been my experience with Luigi. I won't talk to him agian unless he is in nose-punching range.

Wow. I don't wish anyone ill, just am disapointed in what impresses wuffos, but sounds silly to us.

I happen to get on ok with Luigi, and Jeb.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yea, climb "in relation" to the formation... The formation is descending...

In my opinion, it isn't as much the downward speed, but the forward flight speed that has to be figured out. I can't imagine how you can absorb the shock on your ribcage/internal organs during that first contact, and then decelerate controlled- and if you tumble, you won't have breakaway skis like downhillers, you'll be in the wingsuit straightjacket...

Ick, I'll take video, some people have bigger balls than me...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Yea, climb "in relation" to the formation... The formation is descending...

In my opinion, it isn't as much the downward speed, but the forward flight speed that has to be figured out. I can't imagine how you can absorb the shock on your ribcage/internal organs during that first contact, and then decelerate controlled- and if you tumble, you won't have breakaway skis like downhillers, you'll be in the wingsuit straightjacket...

Ick, I'll take video, some people have bigger balls than me...

The only way that I can think of it is using a suit that carrys very little forward speed while maintaining a very slow descent rate and landing onto not a groomed snow slope but instead into thick powder that is stable.

Which is exactly the potential problem... Is there such a suit?

I would think even 30mph of forward speed is too much, and it would be almost impossible to imagine flying level, or with slight down angle, and only 30mph forward providing enough lift to sustain this level flight...

What is the best that the best can do with todays technology? Maybe 100ish forward?
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Some guys that have played with the sugerglider are getting this. There is video of the sugerglider being used in the base environment that is fanastic in the slow flight- slow fall department. I forget the numbers exactly, something 90 seconds or more from 3,000 feet.

I would look for a suit with this type of flight profile used in a landing attempt. Using a suit that glides flatter through better lift at higher speed sounds like landing the X-15. A messy suicide belly flop. Hell even some of the X-15s landings were messy.

Some guys that have played with the sugerglider are getting this. something 90 seconds or more from 3,000 feet.

Hey Vectorboy, you've quoted these figures a few times. Really quite incredible. That is an average fal rate around 20 mph!! Is there anyway you could share the video or GPS data??

Long flights,

J

Perhaps I should clarify....sub 30's vertical speed, but massive horizontal speed...

The problem is not just getting your vertical speed down, if your horizontal speed is still big, you're going to get hurt...B|

Many of us have heard of people unintentionally landing a wingsuit (and living) with less than a fully-inflated canopy out....

My understanding is that the idea was to land it on a mountain slope (intentionally). Its not even close to being a new idea....but its still quite a novel one!;):S

I'll be watching this one with a lot of interest!!
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Perhaps I should clarify....sub 30's vertical speed, but massive horizontal speed...

The problem is not just getting your vertical speed down, if your horizontal speed is still big, you're going to get hurt...

Exactly what i've been thinking the whole time reading this. I'm not a wingsuit flier yet, but I would assume any decrease in vertical speed is going to cause an increase in horizontal speed and someone is going to go skipping and rolling like a rag doll.
Obviously, if they're serious about having a plan to land it, there is something involved in the plan that we don't know about. Not one of the scenarios that people have been listing here seems plausible to make an attempt that wouldn't just be plain suicidal.

Maybe I'm wrong, but simple physics keeps me believing this can't really be done anytime soon with current technology and I wouldn't like to see anyone try it just for the sake of saying "I landed the wingsuit" if there is a big chance they are not going to survive.
----------
gravity rat formula 109
Team Gonzo and Team Jamaican Me Crazy
no bullshit, let's just fly, be safe, and have fun.

Maybe I'm wrong, but simple physics keeps me believing this can't really be done anytime soon with current technology and I wouldn't like to see anyone try it just for the sake of saying "I landed the wingsuit" if there is a big chance they are not going to survive.

BINGO! Give the man a prize and don't buy into the PR hype.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey Vectorboy, you've quoted these figures a few times. Really quite incredible. That is an average fal rate around 20 mph!! Is there anyway you could share the video or GPS data??
J

I would love to but I don't own the video yet. I watched it at the Flyboyz film festival. It won the daddy phats award. The whole video is a mix of freefly and base. It was produced by some guys from northern california but I think it includes flyers from all over the world in locations all over. I can't remember the title but it had the 90 second sugerglider segment. I don't remember who the pilot was.

The whole thing is full of cutting edge jumps a lot of BASE so I would think the footage had been shown more inside the veil of ethics than outside of the BASE community. I had seen the sugerglider segment before someplace else but I don't remember where.

Maybe Tom A could help out.

It was produced by some guys from northern california

Jimmy Holiday

I can't remember the title

RADIX

I don't remember who the pilot was.

Jules from South Africa

Though I have seen the footage a few times, I think saying he's desending at 20mph is alittle off.

The suit is VERY floaty though when flown by someone that is 6ft and weighs 125lbs-130lbs. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I was with Jules on that jump off Smellveggen, I was flying an MTR2 and he was on the Sugar Glider. I flew about 42 seconds, and pulled about 80m before the land, Jules flew 60 seconds and pulled about 200m over the land, it was an amazing flight.

Kim 'Scatty' Hopwood

Thanks for the clarification Kim. ;)

The segment did have something of a cut or camera angle change, but it wasn't clear when it picked back up.

I dont know if you read why the time was stated, but Vectorboy seemed to remember seeing the video and thought he flew 90 sec from the top to opening.

Was that you in the video flying the black MTR2?
Looked like there was a pretty good wind blowing toward the cafe? Huh?

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com