JeepDiver

Jeb Corliss Gets Set For World Record Landing Attempt

Jeb Corliss Gets Set For World Record Landing Attempt
Posted Sat Dec 04 2004

By Tiffany Storrs

Perris, CA (November 23,2004)- Pioneer B.A.S.E. jumper Jeb Corliss and Go Fast! - sponsored test pilot Luigi Cani, have paved the way for a world record landing attempt of a wing-suit—minus a parachute. Jeb and Luigi teamed up to gauge speeds and gather data to safely land Jeb’s wing-suit. Testing was critical, as no one has ever survived a landing attempt without a parachute. Jeb flew in free fall donning a parachute alongside Luigi, who was at the controls of the world’s smallest and fastest parachute—known as the ICARUS VX-39. The two were able to gather data using GPS systems attached to Luigi that tracked exact forward speeds, exact fall rate and glide angles needed for a safe landing.

After two days of test piloting, Jeb Corliss said landing the wing-suit was possible as early as next year. "We found there is a definite and reasonable speed for a landing attempt sometime next summer. We’re now developing four different types of technologies to land safely—it’s very important to land with zero injuries," said Corliss after analyzing data from the test flight.

Showcasing the evolution of the sport of skydiving, Luigi Cani remarked on the uniqueness of Jeb’s wing-suit project. "The testing shows the technology of the sport—nowadays we can jump a parachute that flies as fast as a person in free fall and currently we’re discovering technology to land a wing-suit without a parachute," said Cani. "If Jeb lands the wing-suit without a parachute and survives—he is going to be my hero," added Cani.

While I understand this is a sensationalized artical written for wuffos, It would be nice if there was a little more accuracy in reporting.

as no one has ever survived a landing attempt without a parachute.

Untrue, it has been done UNITNENTIONALY.

who was at the controls of the world’s smallest and fastest parachute

Untrue, may however be the smallest one landed to date.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

as no one has ever survived a landing attempt without a parachute.

if it was unintentional, it wasn't a landing attempt... It was a crash survival... :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Looking at Jeb from a BASE side of Wingsuit. I have observed him changing over the past few years.
He seems to be fixated and committed to Wingsuit flight. He has made a conscious effort to change
his body, shape and proportion of weight for the maximum wingsuit flight. Long and Thin
The guy has always been pretty focused. With making this type of announcement it's pretty mind blowing
to the normal jumper.

I do not see him exiting for the goal without a Rig on his back.
Just from the stand point of : It will be a totally different flight / Weight to body surface area.
If you computer graph out all your training jumps with a Rig on. Not wearing a Rig will totally change flight.

On the other hand " What use is a Rig" ?, if you go below the hard deck for safe deployment ???

You are Not going to strap wheels on your underside to land. It Would disturb your flight characteristics to much.
Maybe a custom laminate, Carbon fiber / Kevlar skid plate ?

What do you think the landing chooses will be ? Flat ground ? No defiantly not.
Flat water ? possibility of that. The only other chooses would be slopping Talus.
I guarantee you that there is no slopping Talus smooth enough to slide on and make a landing
unless it was Snow. Maybe sand if there were Big enough Dunes ? But....Sand means Friction.
Snow means less friction but how do you Stop ? Not much friction on water. but land on flat water
it would have to smooth as glass.

This is what I think.. (don't laugh)... To plain-out and land a Wingsuit on "flat water" or "snow Talus" at
a minimum you will need some kind of, small, trailing Drogue/small drag chute. for at least some kind
of control in hoping to come to any kind of stable stop. (that is, if you were still conscious) after touching
down to earth.

Soooo... Many Choices and decisions to make.

There is also the possibility of just saying F##k the airplane for a Exit. Go strait for a shear wall and
Do a BASE Wingsuit jump and make an attempt to land.

This is what I think he should do......:)
I think he should come "Screeeeeming" in for final approach, Touch down nice on a smooth snow Talus, Deploy
his small drogue for stability. Then just before coming to a complete STOP. cut away the drogue, Skid off
the edge of a 1000 ft. shear cliff. To do a Wingsuit BASE jump and then land......;)

This is what I think he should do......:)
I think he should come "Screeeeeming" in for final approach, Touch down nice on a smooth snow Talus, Deploy
his small drogue for stability. Then just before coming to a complete STOP. cut away the drogue, Skid off
the edge of a 1000 ft. shear cliff. To do a Wingsuit BASE jump and then land......;)

HAhahah:D...Interesting comments...

Haven't you seen the Herc Boogie video where the guy "lands" it? On your feet is the only way to do it with class man.

I think he's gonna take his skateboard up, tie it to his back and rip it out right before landing...

Quite Honestly, I am puzzled by what they will do. Water is the only option IMO. With snow you will have to have the perfect place with the perfect snow... And if you have a drogue, it is still considered a parachute IMO. I think they will do it without a drogue...

They need to let people know where and when...I will spend all my money to see it. (Which is all of $11.42 right now.:S)

Man, these guys are truly BADASS...

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Man, these guys are truly BADASS...

While I have huge respect for both Jeff and Luigi and what they have both acheived in their respective fields, I'm reminded of a quote by Henry Ford.

"You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do."

How long have we been reading hype on people who are going to break Col Kittinger's (sp?) record? I see plenty of crit on what he did (not real freefall, use of drouge, etc) I don't see anyone duplicating it, or bettering it in the last 43 years or so. Plenty people talking. No people doing.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Define "landing".

Ski jumpers land, on their feet and under control, on slopes all the time. It will have to be something different than this to qualify as a landing in my book. Otherwise you could just reclassify a ski jump as a rig-less BASE jump.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Here is a closer photo of his suit also taken by Loic Jean-Albert.

Actually that's a picture of J.C. Colclasure who was shooting 2nd camera and flying a "S-Fly", one of Loic's suits.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Here is a closer photo of his suit also taken by Loic Jean-Albert.

Actually that's a picture of J.C. Colclasure who was shooting 2nd camera and flying a "S-Fly", one of Loic's suits.

Oh, okay. Sorry. I haven't met them and I was sent a bunch of photos from those jumps. My bad.

Would you count the MR Bill at Rantoul as landing without a parachute?? Or would you not since he was riding someone else?

Would you count the MR Bill at Rantoul as landing without a parachute?? Or would you not since he was riding someone else?

He landed under a parachute. The parachute slowed his descent. Anyone who would call that landing "without a parachute" is wrong.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I am not any wiz-kid when it comes to flying my Wingsuit. I only know just enough to have fun.
I like Jeb a lot. There are a few others that are on top of there game with Wingsuit flight also.

> I am just going to come right out and say this. <
How many of you hear on the Wingsuit forum think that Jeb will safely land a wing suit, without
Parachute deployment...? Or anybody else...?

It, Aint Gonna Happen. my friends......No Way, No Now, No Place, Nobody.

There is not enough surface to weight ratio Low enough.
There is not anybody with that kind of....Technique and Timing.
Docking with an Airplane or docking with another canopy is one thing. Landing safely on the ground
with out deploying a parachute is another.

What are the Numbers ? Speed, glide ratio, stall ?
Do the numbers ever come close to say, " I'm going for it ?"

I'm all for everyone having there dreams but, Hey,,,you only get one chance at this one.

The version I heard (2nd hand) was that it was without an inflated canopy...and the ambulance crew refused to take him to hospital.

A guy I know was getting sub-30's three years ago on an S1!!:S

With the newer suits coming out its possible to get much slower descent than that....

Not to mention Geb is pretty lanky!;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

A guy I know was getting sub-30's three years ago on an S1!!:S

With the newer suits coming out its possible to get much slower descent than that....

Not to mention Geb is pretty lanky!;)

Did you mean sub 30 averages? That is over 4 min skydives from 13.5K pulling at 3K. In an S1??

Kris.

Picky, picky.

Notice the photos credits go to Loic. I wonder if he has been sharing knowledge from his experiences on nape of earth flying to Jeb?

What Loic did say about flying along on those flights is that he had to stay floaty as the forward speed of the canopy was really not that great. Loic has tremendous range and if he says that he was having to float, then I can guarantee you that Jeb was near the edge of the stall envelope in his suit. Jari experienced the same thing when he was docking on Vladi a few years ago. Basically, what this publicity stunt shows is that Jeb was able to stay with Luis during a series of controlled maneuvers. In order for him to truly get the most lift out of his (or any other) suit, he would have to be stretching the speed out faster than that 39 would go and then flaring hard for maximum float. A data logger and a 3D GPS would have given better results, but would not have garnered the publicity and the cool footage that some work/live for. Yuri, "Outrager" on here, posted some graphs several years ago which show him actually climbing for a second or two on some jumps where he "stuka dived" down for maximum speed, then flared out his suit.

Ultimately, while this is a pretty aerial display I don't think it has brought anyone any closer to actually landing a wingsuit. If and when an attempt is actually made in a "real" wingsuit we will be able to judge how much real thought was put into it. Personally, I think it's going to be ugly.

Chuck

It, Aint Gonna Happen. my friends......No Way, No Now, No Place, Nobody.

I'm not so sure. Consider Loic's mountain swoop. What speed do you reckon he was flying at? 100mph? Now if he popped the suit down on the slope at this speed, for sure he would tumble and roll dramatically. But would it be fatal? Well, pro-skiers have slip-ups at 70mph and do exactly the same thing, and then walk away without a scratch.

Also, there's no rules to say they can't speed up his deceleration once he's on the deck. In skiiing, they use "layers" of collapsable fencing, designed to bring tumblers to a stop without hurting them.

Also, it wouldn't be all or nothing. For practice runs, and aborted runs, just fly off the side of the piste, just like in Loic's video.