VectorBoy

Vampire Arm strain

I have only jumped the prototype V-1 which didn't have the redesigned wingtip grippers.

The effort required to fly the arm wing for the suit was comparable to S3.

I'll let Robert give a more detailed response, from what i understand the new grippers make holding the wings in position more comfortable and hence less tiring.

But lets clarify something here:

Fly any wingsuit for 2 minutes + and you start to feel a little tired. (at least for the average guy who doesn't work out :P)

In fact try something, as you sit now reading this post put you arms out straight to the side (making a T shape) and hold it - now look at the time in the bottom right corner of your screen and wait for 2 minutes to pass........

..... come on its only been 45seconds

..... your arms are already dropping

..... you've given up already!?

So, granted you don't fly with your arms out straight but holding your arms in any static position requires your muscles to work, which causes lactic acid to build and then your position starts to suck and so does your performance. (please correct my technical inaccuracies regarding muscle function :p)

Training and practice can help delay the onset of this "fatigue" but it will happen (yes even to you if you exit from high enough :P )

(at least for the average guy who doesn't work out )

I don't agree. I work out regularly and the S3 is still tough on my shoulders. It's a isometric muscle contraction and builds up a lot of fatigue fast.

I've learnt to deal with it but if I make a WS jump at the end of the day sometimes I have to pull much higher because I don't know if I'll have enough energy to deal with possible crap...

You can always start flying dirty but then what's the point of flying an S3?

As for the V1 we have to hear from Robi.
Memento Audere Semper

Unclecharlie, I have one of Jari's old prototype S-3s. It is backvented but otherwise it is completely the same in wing planeform and size but it lacks the lift of the production suits. Yes after several flights you can get tired of holding it for two minutes but for years I wondered what the S-3 owners were complaining about I didn't have the arm strain they were exposed to. I now have also a production S-3
and compared to my old S-3 the strain ( lift ) is felt dramatically and instantly.

My Question about the vampire relates to the ratio of arm wing ( looks smaller than the S-3 in chord ) and the leg wing which looks to be much bigger again than the S-3. I believe that Robert claimed that upper body armload limit has been reached on the S-3 design.

I'm guessing that the V-1 will rely more on the legs ( like so many other suits do) to fly in the sweet spot. But one of my big questions out of this is upper body strain..... same, less? I doubt it would be more than the S-3.

It will be interesting to hear other peoples experiences of "arm tiring" - I want to avoid the word "strain" as it is not an injury! (well unless you really over do it!).

For me this is also a personal / subjective thing. Everyone has their own position, body tension, physique, strength, stamina and pain threshhold.

If you fly more on your arm wing with a lot of tension for sure you will feel like the suit is kicking your a5s!

You are right - part of becoming a good pilot is learning to maximise lift from your leg wing, as your leg muscles will last longer also.

For me I found the arm wing effort the same with the prototype. For sure we have to wait for Robert to respond with more valid observations on the production V-1. I sent him an email and he'll respond when he gets chance.

If you are concerned a demo flight is the simple answer! (although persuading an owner to part with their V-1 for one flight will be no easy task!!) :P