greybeard

I landed my wingsuit without a canopy

Late last night on a high speed exit, I launched and flew over the skyvan for ten seonds, dropped behind and then flew back into the aircraft. The pilot ordered me to re-exit, so I re-exited and flew over the top into windshield view of the pilot. After motioning that I would bank north, the a/c banked south.

I then slow spireled down to 2k and set up a very long final, straight in. At 1k, I maxxed the speed available and with the relative lift, was able to line up the runway. My last second, super de-arch gave me a secod of "flare" to touchdown. Thank god I thought to strap the rw creeper to my front side. Even though the wheels burned to nothing by the end of taxi.

As I came to a halt, I tried to roll off the creeper, and found my "kick-stand" prevented me from rolling to the right.

I put that tool to proper use and then..........

I don´t know if it is true but something is going on...

Edited to add: Sorry, it was posted before.

WHAT: - Professional B.A.S.E. jumper Jeb Corliss, will test fly his wing-suit November 16th-17th, in a 2-day stint to prepare for his upcoming, first-ever world record landing attempt without a parachute. The test piloting will be done with a parachute to safely assess landing speeds. Test flying is critical, as no one has ever survived a landing attempt minus a parachute. Come watch Jeb push the envelope—exploring, showcasing the evolution of the sport of skydiving.

WHEN:
• Tuesday, November 16th, and Wednesday, November 17th 9:00am – 4:30pm
• Test piloting and aerial performances, plus interviews with Jeb and Luigi!

WHERE:

Perris Valley Skydiving Center
2091 Goetz Rd.
Perris, CA 92570

HOW: Outfitted in a high-tech nylon wing-suit designed with inflatable fabric wing surfaces Jeb’s "wings" will allow him to fly across the sky for several miles—freefalling three times as long as a normal skydiver. Jeb Corliss will be working closely with Go Fast!® -sponsored test pilot Luigi Cani who successfully landed the world’s smallest and fastest parachute last July. With Luigi at the controls, the bed sheet-sized ICARUS Canopies VX-39 parachute has the performance to fly with Jeb in free fall at speeds in excess of 100 mph! Jeb and Luigi’s team-up is necessary to gauge the speed at which the wing-suit could potentially be landed without a parachute.

I don´t know if it is true but something is going on...

Edited to add: Sorry, it was posted before.

WHAT: - Professional B.A.S.E. jumper Jeb Corliss, will test fly his wing-suit November 16th-17th, in a 2-day stint to prepare for his upcoming, first-ever world record landing attempt without a parachute. The test piloting will be done with a parachute to safely assess landing speeds. Test flying is critical, as no one has ever survived a landing attempt minus a parachute. Come watch Jeb push the envelope—exploring, showcasing the evolution of the sport of skydiving.

WHEN:
• Tuesday, November 16th, and Wednesday, November 17th 9:00am – 4:30pm
• Test piloting and aerial performances, plus interviews with Jeb and Luigi!

WHERE:

Perris Valley Skydiving Center
2091 Goetz Rd.
Perris, CA 92570

HOW: Outfitted in a high-tech nylon wing-suit designed with inflatable fabric wing surfaces Jeb’s "wings" will allow him to fly across the sky for several miles—freefalling three times as long as a normal skydiver. Jeb Corliss will be working closely with Go Fast!® -sponsored test pilot Luigi Cani who successfully landed the world’s smallest and fastest parachute last July. With Luigi at the controls, the bed sheet-sized ICARUS Canopies VX-39 parachute has the performance to fly with Jeb in free fall at speeds in excess of 100 mph! Jeb and Luigi’s team-up is necessary to gauge the speed at which the wing-suit could potentially be landed without a parachute.

so....... what happened?

Landing a wingsuit - PAH! Old hat. Already been done!

A Russian jumper landed a wingsuit a couple of years ago! ;)

In Engineering the saying goes - "If you can't repeat an achievement then you haven't really achieved it!"

So one day someone may land a wingsuit and walk away - BUT with the current designs and technology that day when you can make the choice between hooking in your 39 sq ft. canopy or not deploying and just hooking in your 10 sq ft wingsuit is still a way off...

Jeb is out at Perris right now jumping with Luigi. I have heard no talk of them actually trying to land the suit right now or anytime soon. It was mentioned to the reporters and I think they are really using it is a tease to get people to watch.

I know one thinf for certain. Jeb isn't a dumb guy. He may be nuts and to all kinds of crazy shit some of us willnever try, but he stupid. He isn't going to just up and try to land a wingsuit. I am sure it is an idea they are throwing around and they are trying to see if the suit can match landing speeds that the 39 gets.
Dom

Go Fast answer: (they are talking about next summer)

"All the test-piloting went well. As for the actual landing attempt, I have no information on an exact time and place other than sometime next year. I will keep you informed if I hear anything else. I don’t have any pictures yet of the wing-suit but I’ll send you some when they become available.

Thank you for your interest!

Tiffany Storrs

Communications Assistant

[email protected]

www.gofastsports.com
"