JeffD

Big guys...Leg strap problems.

Ok well I did my first IAD today and everything went fine until my legs started to hurt really bad from the leg straps. Since I am tall 6'2" and 250lbs the leg straps were digging into my groin. SO much that it almost ruined the canopy ride for me because I didn't want to do to many turns because it hurt so much. I talked to the master rigger and he said he might have some slip over leg covers (just makes the leg strap wider) because the webbing is what I was resting on, and not the actual leg straps that are like 3" wide. he also said I could try some foam, or sliding the legstraps down so I would be more like sitting on a swing. Any sugestions welcome. Thanks.

I'm 6'1" 255lbs and I know what you're saying. Guess what, when you buy a rig that was custom built for you, that's measured for you, you won't notice it, its actually quite comfy.

As for now, try the "sitting" position and try the slip on pads for the leg straps. Something else you might try is to wear something line a pair of jeans under your jumpsuit, basically something that you can still move in, but gives you some more fabric to cushion against the webbing digging into you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Since I am tall 6'2" and 250lbs the leg straps were digging into my groin

you and i are about the same size, although i'm 6'3". i fly a Javelin J-4 container with wide legstraps. you didn't mention what type of container you were using. wear a jockstrap and buy some road biking shorts with gel padded groins, they work.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

A temp fix is get a rectangular piece of foam and cut out a piece for your junk as Deuce would say, and put the foam in your jumpsuit or you pants. Looks funny but it works.

Hope that helps
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Im 6'0 and weigh around 250lbs, used to have trouble with openings that bruised my thighs, however got my new Jav Odessey in april this year ans things are now so much more comfortable. Its got closed cell foam and double wide leg straps. makes such a diference to opening and in-flight comfort.

One trick that I have used in the past is go to your local auto parts store and get some of those seatbelt slip over covers. They make those things with mucho padding and in different styles. I bought some for $7.00, they were velcro wrap around and were long enough that one cut in half did the job.

Put these on your leg straps and you will feel the difference. Because they are velcro wrap around, you will be able to attach them to different rigs if you jump multiple rigs without undoing any of the buckles and attachment points.

I know a tandem master who uses these for an older stlye student harness that had no padding in the leg straps....big difference in the comfort factor for his students.

One trick that I have used in the past is go to your local auto parts store and get some of those seatbelt slip over covers. They make those things with mucho padding and in different styles. I bought some for $7.00, they were velcro wrap around and were long enough that one cut in half did the job.

Dude! That has to be one of the best freak'n ideas I've heard in a damn long time!

I'm going to have to go and get some for my DZ's rigs, just in case someone has a problem with their legstraps.

(I bet I can find some that say "Honda R" so our rigs will be all riced out and cool...):P

Werd, and a spoiler too, you'll be too pimp.

As far as the leg/crotch pain goes, I had that problem for a long time when I started, black bruises on my thighs, but I got used to it. Go easy at first, you'll build a tolerance to it. Also, if/when you go to buy gear, you can often get double-wide leg-straps (which is what I did) and I rarely if ever get hurt *there*.

-R

Dude! That has to be one of the best freak'n ideas I've heard in a damn long time!

I'm going to have to go and get some for my DZ's rigs, just in case someone has a problem with their legstraps.

(I bet I can find some that say "Honda R" so our rigs will be all riced out and cool...):P

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I had the same problem at first. Those students rigs just aren't the most comfortable rigs out there.:S When I jump with just shorts on, it still hurts like hell even with my own rig. I just wear my freefly pants over the shorts for jumps. Provides enough padding for under canopy. Hell, today I did a clear and pull from altitude and didn't have any discomfort.

I feel your pain brother and I'm only 205, 5'11.

Here are a few things I've noticed. First try to put the pack up as high as you can on your back before you tighten the leg straps. I think that will limit the movement of the straps when your chute opens. Also, when I started to move down to a 230, I noticed the pain stopped. It made me wonder if size of canopy has something to do with it....

um yeah that is a fantasitc idea i have that same problem, its not fun to do turns when your legs are asleep... im going to get some right now

Holy deep thread search bubbling up from 8 years ago Batman!

Ok, 8 years later, I'm about the same size, just with a migrating hairline, but the exact same rig (with a slightly different main). I never did get the seatbelt pads, but others did and it worked like a champ for them. The biggest thing for comfort is to get a rig that is fit for you (you can even get a used first rig and send it in to get the harness resized).

um yeah that is a fantastic idea i have that same problem, its not fun to do turns when your legs are asleep... im going to get some right now

Holy deep thread search bubbling up from 8 years ago Batman!

Ok, 8 years later, I'm about the same size, just with a migrating hairline, but the exact same rig (with a slightly different main). I never did get the seatbelt pads, but others did and it worked like a champ for them. The biggest thing for comfort is to get a rig that is fit for you (you can even get a used first rig and send it in to get the harness resized).

And order the extra wide super squishy leg pads...like I did! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Let us clarify our terminology.
The LEG STRAPS are made of webbing. Leg straps support your weight.
The LEG PADS are made of foam-filled cloth (usually nylon Cordura). Leg pads help distribute your weight over a wider area, improving comfort by reducing pressure points.
The foam padding is worn out on many student leg pads.
Half the solution is adjusting the harness, so that leg straps ride high in your crotch BEFORE opening shock. You may have to ask an instructor to show you how to slide leg straps (high in your crotch) shortly before exit to ensure that they stay high in your crotch through opening shock.
If a harness is a really good fit - and you have skinny thighs like me - you don't need leg pads.

Keep up the good work. I am getting back into the sport after 35 years
I am 6 foot 6 inches and weigh275 I don't want to give my age away but my D number has 3 numbers. But I a going for it. I can set here in retirement or jump and I say jump. And to all you big guys out there never quit.
Blue Sky's
Will