KrisFlyZ

Neptune jump log observation.

Attached are the screenshots of a jump(Wingsuit) profile from my paralog.

Nep1.jpg
----------------------------------
As you can see the logger says(This is exactly what the neptune says).

Exit : 13400
Deploy : 3200
Delay : 136 secs

Nep2.jpg
----------------------------------
The cursor is at 15 secs before the log shows that the jump started.

Altitude: 13303
V Speed : 26 mph(2300 ft/min).

Nep21.jpg
------------------------------------
This is when the logger(or neptune) starts counting flight time.

Altitude: 12768
V Speed: 38 mph

Nep5.jpg
-------------------------------------

Deployment complete.

Altitude: 3192 ft.

It seems like the neptune reads the exit altitude and the deployment altitude correctly. But does not start logging flighttime until about 38 mph speed is reached.

I have seen other jumps where the delay between exit altitude and time logging altitude is not as bad. This could be because of the exit technique. On the GTI, I used to jump with all wings closed get horizontal ASAP and open up all wings, On some jumps I would fly on level with the descending plane for quite a while.

Has anyone else observed this? I always have the latest version of the Neptune software on my unit.

Another thing to note is that Wingsuit pilots should probably not make a wingsuit jump with the swoop mode alarm active because...
From the neptune website....

If a swoop alarm is active, once Neptune goes into canopy mode IT WILL NOT GO BACK TO FREEFALL MODE - this means no flat line during radical canopy handling

I have seen Canopy mode on my Neptune during freefall on several jumps.

I, too, have seen the Neptune "wait" to start logging with later versions. This is better than what it used to do. It used to start logging right when the door opened on a lot of aircraft (especially tailgates), so some people would come down from a lower wingsuit flight (6K or 7K) and report 70s - 80s delays, when 30s of that was jump run.

One of the nice things about using Paralog with the Neptune or JumpTrack with ProTrack is that you can sort out these things a little better. Screw what the unit reports back or what summaries are made. If you had a 10,000' freefall over 141s, you had a 48MPH fall rate. End of story. You can't argue distance over time.

Would I be correct in assuming your Neptune is an audible for you? If so, disregard those 26MPH, etc, figures. You'll never get accurate tracking with your unit on your head. This is why you need two or three. ;) The ultimate setup is three -- one visual, one audible, and one in your sock or pants pocket for recording data. A Neptune on your hand will still have anomolies every time you rotate your wrist to look at your altimeter, but it will still be more accurate than on your head.

Personally, I'm OK with ditching all of the above on BASE jumps and using one visual on skydives. GPS is still fun, but fall rate tracking got old for me a long time ago.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Would I be correct in assuming your Neptune is an audible for you?

Nope actually it is on my hand.

GPS is still fun, but fall rate tracking got old for me a long time ago.

Yeah it is getting old. I went out and joined a tracking group in my S3 last weekend. Exited first and travelled in the direction of flight, until I caught up to the tracking group and then collapsed my wings(about 2 secs 2 late, so was above the flock and could not get down despite trying till breakoff) and tracked. That was kinda fun actually.

I will still track time until I can do the 3 min flight but I am capping half of my S3 flights at less than 90 secs(from 13500 to 4k). Otherwise I will have trouble on flocks.

Kris.

I will still track time until I can do the 3 min flight

My thoughts exactly. Flocking is fun, and on medium speed flock dives I can be very solid. But when I try to go super slow I get quite shaky and can't hold a constant speed. Although the record setting solos are getting a bit boring, there is still skill being built. Once I can hold my slowest position smoothly, and do a 3 min flight consistently, I'll quit that garbage altogether. I'm sure it will be useful for WS BASE in the distant future...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Naw, stalled flight will do crap for a BASE jump. Go far, fast!

Yep, there's no benefit in having a floating and almost stalled flight in WS base. Go for glide angle and forward speed, the sufficient time will then come for free :)

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

Yep, there's no benefit in having a floating and almost stalled flight in WS base. Go for glide angle and forward speed, the sufficient time will then come for free :)

Vesa

Initially when I would get 54 mph averages(my best on a classic) on the classic, I was doing near stall flights(unstable wobbly). As I got more jumps on it I was getting the same average mphs with smooth flight. All of my best times on the GTI have been smooth flights. The other way of flying is not fun.

Kris.

When people talk about 3-min S3 skydives, are they flying very near stall, or with a somewhat acceptable glide?

/still hung up on numbers... :$
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The times that I made it past the 180s mark were generally in an edge-of-stall-flight mode. However, you can get still get close to it and kick ass horizontally. I've had a good number of FAR flights with delays of over 160s.

Click

While we're on the topic, what is a good summary of the body positions required for each of those tasks? My guesses are:

FAR - From a "straight as a board" position (arms/legs in line with body, wings fully extended, toes pointed, knees locked, hips/chest/shoulders all straight and in line), rolls shoulders and de-arch at hips/chest *slightly*

SLOW - Same as above but take the de-arches at hips and chest even further, to the point of "hugging the beach ball"

I could be way off base here, but these are my current guesses. I'm also flying a GTI, and maybe it's different between suits?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Basically, yes. However, there is this level of fine tuning for both positions that I've found impossible to explain in words. That little bit extra makes a big difference in flight performance, for both lift and glide, whichever you're going for.

Click