ikenever

Line twist

To reduce your chances of line twist have your local Rigger sew line stow loops or a binding tape ribbon on the flap of your deployment bag.

Stowing lines using the loops on the sides of your d bag does cause your bag to rock back and forth as the lines unstow on deployment. This is a one prime cause that makes the bag spin or turn on deployment especially if stows are uneven or the bag was built uneven.

Space line stows 6 inches apart on the flap. Use a 2 inch stow. I use the tube stows because it releases the stow with less friction, they last longer and they make packing easier. It is most important to use the heavier black tube stow for the locking stow due to the pressure put on them from this modification. With the line stows close together, line dump is eliminated even during non wing suit deployments.

Another culprit for poor openings is your canopy starts to inflate on one side or the other. This will cause the canopy to turn as it inflates. Try to get your 3 centers (inner) cells to inflate first by rolling or folding your 2 (7 cell) 3 (9 cell) outside cells in toward the center cells. If you use a hired packer ... never mined! You get what you get!

An adequate length of line between the risers and the first stow is also important.

With my Stiletto I find that rolling or tucking the end cells of the nose is MORE likely to produce an off heading opening or line twists.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On the topic of linetwists, I thought I'd share a discovery I made recently.

I was still getting linetwists sometimes, and it was very puzzling. After tossing, I'd put my arms to my sides, keep all wings closed, arch, and look up. I'd watch the canopy start to inflate. Perfect, on heading. When it was 90% inflated, and I was pretty seated up, I'd look down at my hands and start unzipping. After that I'd look back up and see 2-3 linetwists, with severe harness shift that caused me to immediately start diving. This happened several times before I finally figured it out. Even though the canopy was 90% inflated, it was still sensitive to harness shift in those final inflation moments, and when I looked down and unzipped one arm, I guess I would subconsciously put my weight toward one hip to make the unzipping easier. So, now I do not move either hand until *100%* inflation. I just stare at my risers and try to keep them even by keeping my hips weighted evenly. To me, that's the most important thing, because even with 10 linetwists, my canopy will fly straight if the risers are even. But just 2 linetwists with harness shift can get worse fast.

Anyway, dunno if anyone else experienced anything similar, but I thought I'd share because this puzzled me for a while and I was proud when I figured it out. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Matt

Try this.

Next time try grabbing your mud flaps with both hands just below your 3 rings and steer thourgh your openings that way, should you have to.

Also, if you are unzipping the arms before the canopy is fully inflated, there is still alot of air that is probably caught in the wing your unzipping, as you are straightening your arm out to get the zipper up smoothly, it's probably catching air causing your body to spin, and possibly not the canopy?

Should you decide to watch the canopy through the entire opening, next time make a mental note of the heading and pay attention to the horizon.

As you say.....

>>>> I'd look down at my hands and start unzipping. After that I'd look back up and see 2-3 linetwists, with severe harness shift that caused me to immediately start diving.<<<<

Try to make sure your body isnt causing the twist and your canopy actually opens striaght.

Be safe.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Matt

Try this.

Next time try grabbing your mud flaps with both hands just below your 3 rings and steer thourgh your openings that way, should you have to.

Hmm, I actually used to do that for my first few WS jumps, but I was having a lot of problems then and gave it up, thinking that raising my arms was exposing my wings too much. I guess I could give it another go...

Thanks Ed.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(are line twists an issue?)

No, it's the nausea and throw up getting on the wingsuit from spinning out of the line twists, that is the issue!

Ed

The trick is to get as many linetwists as possible, so when ya untwist and start vomitting, it gets thrown far away from the suit.

Chris...

Then, no problem!