BGill

Lookie at my new [Broken] toy

Hah, tailplane, you're never going to live this one down!!

;-)

Its something we all need to be aware of.

ie brief your new flyers, remind the expereienced flyers periodically and brief your pilots too!!!!
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

The US importers of the PAC 750 are having this issue already, with the plane not even being there for a month.....

Here's the post.Tail strike on new PAC XL750 at Skydance.

Negative Ghostrider. That was NOT a tail strike. IT was a WING strike (aft edge/flaps) I did it in Rantoul. If you lay back in the door to do too deep of a front float back fly exit, you can do this. Same as on a King air, just a wee bit easier as the door is bigger alowing you to get lower, easier. Nice strong flap thoug, it doubles as a floater step.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You can leave your wings closed and still climb like crazy, because of:

- the wings still catching air
- d-arched on exit
- fast jump run

To avoid tailstrikes:

- push your tail behind your legs before you exit
- always arch on exit
- keep your knees together on exit
- don't move from that body position until you are looking at the bottom of the plane

This mainly applies to newer wingsuit pilots. After a good couple hundred flights, you'll discover some more creative, yet safe, ways to exit. But even those shouldn't be practice on very fast jump runs or aircraft where the horizontal stabilizers are on level with or lower than the top of the door.

I glad that no one was hurt, but it sucks to see the pretty suit get torn up. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but you were just inches away from the worst kind of hurt. ;)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

My incident made it on to the front page of www.bird-man.com! I know I shouldn't be proud of my accident or anything (except for the fact that I'm still alive and I learned a valuable lesson), but this is my :D:D:D time being published anywhere!!

Everyone down under head to Picton this weekend for the beer!

Clicky for the article on bird-man.com!

My incident made it on to the front page of www.bird-man.com! I know I shouldn't be proud of my accident or anything (except for the fact that I'm still alive and I learned a valuable lesson), but this is my :D:D:D time being published anywhere!!

Everyone down under head to Picton this weekend for the beer!

Clicky for the article on bird-man.com!

You'll be on Flybirdman.com by the end of the day too, along with (hopefully) the finished MTR2 review.

Kevin

Bobby, from the video, it looks like you exited from the back of the door, and jumped up.

That big-assed tail on the S3 probably saved your head. It appears you opened the tail too quickly and it rotated your head out of the way of the horizontal stabilizor and your tail hit it instead. If you had stayed stable and tracked right up the relative wind, you probably would have caught it in the back.

How much damage an Aussie could do to the port horizontal stabilizor of a 750, I don't know.

I'm thinking we birdmen should make great efforts to get suit flyers to stay closed until they see the aircraft above them, and then open their suits, when jumping from KingAirs and PACS.

After watching the video I can say that my first thoughts on how this happened were correct. Deuce described it pretty accurately actually. It appears you presented similar to the attached picture and had it not been for the slight turn you very well may have hit your head or back instead. Better the suit than you though and the suit has already been taken care of;)

Despite what I tried to explain to them, I was assured that what many just saw was impossible by the PAC crew at WFFC. It just goes to show that those who don't fly a suit,even pilots, really have very little if any idea what a skilled and some times unskilled person can do in a suit.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I jumped the PAC at WFFC (no WS) and I looked it over pretty close on the ground. Given a choice between the PAC and another a/c to do a wingsuit jump from I belive I'll pick "another". Mistakes happen and you always want to be at least 2 mistakes from getting hurt. The low horizontal stabilizer on the PAC eliminates one of those mistakes. Now you're down to one and it's only a matter of time ..

Given a choice between the PAC and another a/c to do a wingsuit jump from I belive I'll pick "another".

I'll take a PAC over an aerocommander anyday! (Also known as scare-a-commando's)

But at the end of the day, if I have a choice, I'll stick to playing with skyvans!They're easy to watch exits from, nothing to hit (if hooks retracted) and it makes setting up flocking dives (literally) as easy as walking 'em out the back....and we have 2!!B|
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I can't think of a reason to do a curved jump run, nor why a pilot would alow jumpers to exit while in anything other than straight, level, and neither climbing nor desending rapidly flight.

I've got a situation at the DZ I've been going to recently that they are just outside Class B airspace so if they go too far past the DZ they enter restricted airspace so they start carving the jump run about 3 groups through and keep carving. Sucks having to exit in a ball but oh well.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Granted I dont know the situation but would a 180 goaround offset .5 miles to the side of the orriginal jump run not work? At Perris we have a relativly short jumprun (air corodors north and south of us) and we do the 180 frequently when there is no high pull trafic on the load. CReW is droped out west.

basic rule with any birdman jump. exit with all wings collapsed and do not open them till you are clear of the plane( with the exception of a plane witha ramp). This is one of the 1st things that you should be taught. With added size of the s3 it as far more critical than most.

PriorPreporation PlanningPreventsPissPoorPerformance
Deal with it

I can't think of a reason to do a curved jump run, nor why a pilot would alow jumpers to exit while in anything other than straight, level, and neither climbing nor desending rapidly flight.

The tail strike I saw happened in a King Air where we had a lot of small groups and the DZO figured a curved jump run was the most fuel-efficient way to get everyone out.

A climbing pass is common on Otters for hop-and-pops.

I concur.

Seriously, its not that hard to do, not matter what your skill level. Heck, I think even Jari nearly lost his head once....
B|
Pilot increases power, banks or climbs...you launch up as you exit....you inflate a little too early...you present (with wings deflated) too much....you get complacent....you're trying to get out quickly on a flocking dive....

Add any of these with a low tail-plane or an inexperienced pilot and you've got a good probability of an incident report needing to be filled out.[:/]

I've seen some damn scary footage from a number of tailstrikes....and they were without wingsuits, let alone with!!!:S
xj

Well everyone, I just got back from the Post Office and in my hands I have a brand spankin' new S3... well, brand spankin' new repaired S3. ;) Everyone at Birdman was such a great help to me, especially Jari, Jussi, and Kim. I thank them all so very much for helping me get my S3 repaired and back in the sky. They really do have themselves together over there. I would post pictures of my suit, but the suit looks exactly the same as it used to. You can't even tell anything happened to it. Looks brand new.

So overall, I learned the importance of exits and how becoming too comfortable with something can get you in trouble. I lost 3 months that could've been used for flocking, but rest assured I'm back and ready to flock! LOOK OUT FLOCKERS!!!! I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCKKKK!!!!!! :D:D:D:D