LawnDart21

Washing your container

Okay, so I have a mirage that has seen a few hundred jumps and is pretty dirty. Perfect condition, just dusty/dirty from a years worth of use. The cyrpess and the reverse/main have a new home in my other mirage, so I want to wash this one. I've heard stories about putting it in a pillow case and sticking it in a "tumble" washing machine with woollite with cold water. Has anyone washed their rigs before? What did you do? Thanks, Tom

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I forego the pillowcase all together.

Tie up the risers and cover all velcro. Use cold water and a mild detergent such as woolite. Keep in mind the rig is made of Nylon. It's really tough nylon, designed to take an amazing amount of abuse. Putting a rig in a tumble washer will not hurt it.

I used to use the bathtub method but gave up on it many years ago.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

For tough stains I've gotten a warm bowl of water. Spray in some Shout stain remover. Get a very soft brush (tooth brush if it's small enough, but they never are) and wet the brush in the bowl and gently scrub off. Watch for fuzzys and moving the stitching. You're scrubbing too hard if you see that. I've seen this meathod remove old grass stains even.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

We use Murphy's Oil Soap...have done so for many years...it works great, and I've never seen any fading or discoloration from it.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I've washed close to 100 containers for my rigging customers...I cover all the hook velcro with the pile velcro first...then i spray the entire rig with Simple Green...let it sit for 10 minutes...then put the entire rig in a tub with warm water and a cap full of woolite. I hand aggitate it for a few minutes the I scrub the entire rig with a soft brissled brush. Once I'm done with that I'll put the rig into the wash machine on Gentle cycle and cold water and run it thru an entire wash cycle WITHOUT detergent. This gives it a very good rinsing. Then I let it hang dry for as long as it takes to dry. After it's dry I also the apply a coat of scoth gaurd so it's much easier to clean next time.
And it shouldn't have to be said but be sure to take the entire rig apart before you start and don't forget to remove that data card.

A rigger friend of mine (note: I am NOT a rigger) told me a long time ago to unpack everything, disconnect everything, pull the cypress and take it to a coin-op carwash (the self wash kind with the "washing wand" hand held thing). Hang it up on the floor mat hangers and go to town. Let the high pressure spray run for a bit to get the soap out of the line first, then use the spray to spray the dirt off, etc.

I did that for my rig a few months ago and it did wonders for the rig. It looked freak'n brand spank'n new.

No chemicals used, just water.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A rigger friend of mine (note: I am NOT a rigger) told me a long time ago to unpack everything, disconnect everything, pull the cypress and take it to a coin-op carwash (the self wash kind with the "washing wand" hand held thing). Hang it up on the floor mat hangers and go to town. Let the high pressure spray run for a bit to get the soap out of the line first, then use the spray to spray the dirt off, etc.

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS!!!

Many car washes recycle their water. Also, the water pressure can be extremely high. If you get teh nozzle too close you can damage the nylon and/or the stitching.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Kris, that's a lot of common sense right there.:)

Shhh!!!! Don't tell anybody! I'm supposed to be just an "Okie", remember?;)

The car wash method can work great, I've used it before. Just make sure you check to see if they reuse their water and be careful with the nozzle.

It's really great, especially with grass stains.

Don't forget a plastic hefty bag to take your newly soaked rig home in.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Tie up the risers and cover all velcro. Use cold water and a mild detergent such as woolite.

After killing a few grasshoppers on a really BAD landing..at LP... I needed to clean mine.. Before doing so I talked to KellyF at Velocity. He did NOT recommend Woolite. He recommended some drycleaning stuff for the spots that I could not find.. but also said Oxyclean would be good. I used that and voila.. that HUGE RED Infinity you saw and commented about at Byron looked pretty good :P
I just used a soft brush... and a bucket of warm water and scrubbed the outside.... then hosed it all off on the patio with the garden hose.

I never did soak the whole thing... since Kelly said not all batches of material are color safe... and could have the dye run. Everything.. including grasshopper yellowgreen guts came off just fine.

Jeanne

How about cleaning if your reserve and cypress is still in it?

I pilled in on a recent jump, I tried a hard brush to remove the dirt and tried some stain stuff on the leg straps. Neither worked very well.

I dont really want to take it to rigger as I am selling it, but it could do with once over.

Suggestions please?

I have friends who swear by "tough-stuff" a carpet cleaner for cleaning the exterior of containers with canopies still in.

I post this here as less of a recommendation and more of an invitation for comments from riggers on their choice of cleaner.

I've always been unhappy exposing a "loaded" container to any kind of chemical.

i had a pretty icky mud landing this past weekend. the only part of my container really affected were the leg straps and main pack tray/spandex. I filled up my sink at home and had the legstraps in the sink and scrubbed them pretty good, everythign came out with the aid of an old toothbrush. this worked for the lower pack tray as well. my reserve compartment never saw a drop of water.

__

Washing your container in a machine risks shrinkage and deformation. Use a soft nylon brush, spray bottles of distilled water and Formula 409. Soak an area with the 409, wet-vac it, then rinse and vacuum again. It's fast, easy and safe.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Washing your container in a machine risks shrinkage and deformation.

It won't shrink. I've yet to see one deform either. It's Nylon through and through so you're pretty safe.

Oh by the way, I used the Cheer with color guard in cold water the last few rigs ... I haven't tried the Murphy's oil
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How about cleaning if your reserve and cypress is still in it?

Not me.. I took mine completely apart... I would think some of the spray on... dries to a powder kind of carpet cleaner or spot remover stuff might be ok for surface dirt.. but getting everything wet... or harsh chemicals that could infiltrate my reserve... NO WAY..

On the leg straps.. try some hot water... and Oxy-Clean... mixed up as a paste.... and scrub it in with a soft brush.. let sit... re scrub the area... then rinse.. but keep the water on the straps.. and away from the reserve and the cypress.

Jeanne