Jiggs

MTR 2 Questions & Impressions

Hey all,

Just took delivery of my MTR2 the other day and while chucking it all together and I thought i'd better ask some questions of the people that have them.

So - I guess the main one is what do people do with the excess on the cutaway cables? It seems that the long one is a few inches too long and hangs out - should I just snip it a bit and melt the end?

Impressions

Build- A little bit to early to tell, the material used in this suit is not the same as used by BM, for lack of a better term its kind of more plastic like. It makes more noise but seems to be a lot more slick. Not sure on the durability issue but time will tell.
There are some good improvements: -
the cutaway - while it seems like a pain in the arse you can actually quite quickly get it on and off. The idea with the split cables is a pretty good one. One issue I noticed was it was an absolute bastard to fit the cables to the end grommets the first time - it was so stiff that it required a quite bit of time to assemble - no doubt it will become easier in time as it takes a "set". Has anyone else had any experience in this?

The setup of the rig to suit is very, very easy! Does not take long at all. When you first look at the suit you see all the zips and think you have to be kidding me but after you do it you can see that it is actually quicker than other suits.

The size of the wings is quite a change from what I am used to jumping (Classic 2) - when I layed it ontop of the of the Matter it really emphasised the difference. Not only is the leg wing significantly longer (goes all the way to the ground) but the stance is quite a bit wider (several inches) resulting in an even larger surface area. The arm wings are naturally longer as well - once again the spread of the wings is larger . So they are quite a bit larger.

Zippers - the zippers I am not 100% sure about, the arm zippers do not seem to extend far enough on my suit leading to some restriction (neglibile) of the arms. I am not sure about how well the arm zippers will open when you are really under the pump, the cables can be a small hassle here as they can slightly alter the direction of the zipper without enough tension on the wing. I do prefer the handle type of grip that Matter has gone with as opposed to the thumb loops - winter and cold hands & gloves can make thumb loops an added complication, loops = no worries.

Legs - The boosters are held on with a velcro/elastic combination at the bottom. Added to that they have added this sort of loop on the top of the booster - this is very easy to grab onto and you can pull them off in a hurry - a good idea I would say. The leg stance is much wider than what I am used to and short of slipping over in the wet I reckon I could run okay with the leg zippers still done up

There is a base pouch as standard - not my bag and I don't know enough to comment.

Will be interesting to see what the performance is like in the coming weeks (and if I can finally catch the XL!;))

Edit for typo's
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus