kallend

More newbie questions

Made two more jumps today in a Classic II.

No problems on jump 1; 92 seconds of freefall from 13k.

1. On the second jump I deployed at just under 5500ft but my Protrack shows 7800ft. Is this a common problem?

2. I slowed down my forward speed by closing my legs about 2 seconds before tossing the PC, and the opening seemed much nicer than previously. Is this likely to lead to other problems?

3. I really need to jump with someone else to get some idea of speed and fall rate control. Solos give me no idea other than change in wind noise.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

1. Is your Protrak set on SLO mode? It is not uncommon for protrack readings to be off on altitude and or time when doing Birdman.

2. I would expect it to be a nicer opening than a straight pitch. The correct way to deploy is to close down both arm and leg wings completly and simultaneously when going in to pull. Giving it a good 2-3 seconds in this closed down position bleeds off forward(horizontal) speed and allows you to build up some vertical speed so that you don't see your feet swinging up in front of your face violently when you do deploy. You don't have to slow down your forward speed to deploy but it sure makes it easier on your body come days end. On small canopies it is possible to swing back into your lines if you do not slow down enough before pitching. Jari has a video of a flight where a guy narrowly misses his own lines and you can see his Protrack fly off his helmet and continue on in a straight line becasue the snatch force was so high due to not slowing down.

3. Solos are great for those times when you want to max it out or just play. Flying with someone else is a fantastic tool to help you judge your overall flying and to push your learning curve. Of the people who have flown a suit a few times and later stoped, most will tell you they did their flights alone. Flying solo is no different than doing RW by yourself. Sooner or later your going to get bored. If you are able to jump with someone else you will quickly see what you need to work on and get an overall guage of how well you are flying. It has been my experience that most people who fly alone regularly and are gettig bored find a new interest once they fly with someone else.

I can tell you that you are no where near to flying that suit efficiently but don't get discouraged, 92 secs from 13 isn't bad .There is plenty more time that you can wring out of the suit given the chance and training/experience.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

1. Is your Protrak set on SLO mode? It is not uncommon for protrack readings to be off on altitude and or time when doing Birdman.

2. I would expect it to be a nicer opening than a straight pitch. The correct way to deploy is to close down both arm and leg wings completly and simultaneously when going in to pull. Giving it a good 2-3 seconds in this closed down position bleeds off forward(horizontal) speed and allows you to build up some vertical speed so that you don't see your feet swinging up in front of your face violently when you do deploy. You don't have to slow down your forward speed to deploy but it sure makes it easier on your body come days end. On small canopies it is possible to swing back into your lines if you do not slow down enough before pitching. Jari has a video of a flight where a guy narrowly misses his own lines and you can see his Protrack fly off his helmet and continue on in a straight line becasue the snatch force was so high due to not slowing down.

3. Solos are great for those times when you want to max it out or just play. Flying with someone else is a fantastic tool to help you judge your overall flying and to push your learning curve. Of the people who have flown a suit a few times and later stoped, most will tell you they did their flights alone. Flying solo is no different than doing RW by yourself. Sooner or later your going to get bored. If you are able to jump with someone else you will quickly see what you need to work on and get an overall guage of how well you are flying. It has been my experience that most people who fly alone regularly and are gettig bored find a new interest once they fly with someone else.

I can tell you that you are no where near to flying that suit efficiently but don't get discouraged, 92 secs from 13 isn't bad .There is plenty more time that you can wring out of the suit given the chance and training/experience.

Well, at this point I'm not sure how to improve without having someone with me to compare with. Couldn't jump the (demo) suit today, someone else was using it!

Well, at this point I'm not sure how to improve without having someone with me to compare with. Couldn't jump the (demo) suit today, someone else was using it!

John,

I am sorry I have been monopolizing that suit. I should have my own suit(GTI) before my next visit to SDC.

Anyways, My first BM jump was a 100 MPH avg.

Two of my jumps yesterday and one jump today were an average vertical speed of 55 mph. One of the jumps on 06/26/04 was 121 secs from 13100'.

Kris.

John,

I am sorry I have been monopolizing that suit. I should have my own suit(GTI) before my next visit to SDC.

Anyways, My first BM jump was a 100 MPH avg.

Two of my jumps yesterday and one jump today were an average vertical speed of 55 mph. One of the jumps on 06/26/04 was 121 secs from 13100'.

Kris.

Cool - I haven't got my average under 60 yet. Only 3 jumps so far though, so I'm looking to improve.

John, when is a good weekend in July for me to come up and flock with you guys at SDC? I've got a spare Classic2 that should fit you just fine if Kris's GTi is'nt in by then.

I'm at X-Keys for the big ways next week. Any weekend from 17th on. I understand Todd (my BM instructor) recently broke his ankle on a base jump out west.

Got my average speed below 55mph today (3 jumps). Unfortunately all solos, so I have no experience adjusting fall rate or forward speed yet.

I'll be at the Cross Keys big ways too with my wife.
Make sure you come up and introduce yourself since I dont know what ya look like.
And yes, Tod was jumping with us at the Boogie and did get hurt during some "after hours" jumping. [:/]

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

John,

PhreeZone can give us tips on flocking. You should be able to fly with others with no issues at all. Let me know which weekend and I'll be there. I am hoping that I'll get my GTI in the last week of july(that would be 7 weeks).

On another note.
Hope Todd gets well soon. He is a really cool guy.

Kris.

I'll be at the Cross Keys big ways too with my wife.
Make sure you come up and introduce yourself since I dont know what ya look like.
And yes, Tod was jumping with us at the Boogie and did get hurt during some "after hours" jumping. [:/]

-

I look just like my avatar.

I am pretty sure I will be up there also that weekend. I will have my suits in tow. If you see me in a navy suit with white wings and royal blue arm deflectors, come say hi.

Cool.
I'll bring my suit too.
I'll be getting there on the 6th.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com