Tonto

No of wingsuit dives before becoming a BMI

I'm just saying what I've heard. Maybe if you bastards weren't so damn cliquey then these "outsiders" wouldn't become "perpetrators". ;) You won't have to spend TOO much on boogies. We're having a wingsuit boogie (and competition), and then Eloy is a couple weeks later.

I think the best community one can have for a discipline is one that is safe, innovative, inviting, accepting, and challenges the skills of all involved (locals and visitors).

The problem is that not every newly certified BMI has gone through this class, yes there still is some Gimme's out there ( probably outside of Chucks area of ops). This adds to BMI's out there self promoting with weak skills ( people skills and flight skills ) And some of the new BMI's also are conducting themselves, at other DZ', in such a way that bring out comments like Chris's above.

True, there is sort of a point in time when the quality of instruction and shot up dramatically. The BM-I was the first attempt at any sort of instruction rating (even if it is a manufacturer's rating), and some bugs needed to be worked out. The downside is that some patches were handed out to the not-necessarily-qualified-to-instruct before the program was refined.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I'm just saying what I've heard. Maybe if you bastards weren't so damn cliquey then these "outsiders" wouldn't become "perpetrators".

They were not outsiders, they just have other DZs as there home DZs ( nobody is an outsider at Perris ). One of the lads is local the other from across the pond, all welcomed like family.

Perris is a big DZ, I mostly wingsuit and still don't know all of the people that own and fly wingsuits. I get surprised all of the time. Plus we get a lot of visitors. There are some jumpers that I know I can call up a few days ahead of time to get a flock going. Enough to half fill an otter but its just scratching the list of who owns and flocks a suit at Perris.

I imagine its a similar situation at Deland or Empuria.

Actually, DeLand is probably THE model of a good wingsuit community. Granted, BirdMan is headquartered there, but still...

I went there for a week. No boogie or anything -- just checked it out. I flew my ass off and only did two solos, the rest were all two to six ways. I probably flew with every person that had a wingsuit there. And it was only occassionally a basic flight, as a new, fun challenge was planned on each jump. Big flocks, a lot of docks, aerobatics (and docked aerobatics), big distances, bigger and bigger freefalls, lots of cloudplay -- I think that was like the first two days I was there.

I got to jump with some world class pilots that had no issue sharing some great tips and information, and then going up right away to apply the advice. People really looked out for each other, as well. On my first flight there (which was a two-way), two people voluntarily checked my cables, asked if I had my leg straps on, and asked about my experience level.

The only downside is that people generally just go home afterhours (though we did hang out around a fire one evening -- Scary Perry was present with wong), or they head out to go party.

Click

I'm just saying what I've heard. Maybe if you bastards weren't so damn cliquey then these "outsiders" wouldn't become "perpetrators".

If you didn't show up acting arrogant and preening yourself in front of the locals maybe you'd feel more accepted. I don't find Perris clicky at all. You have to be willing to make friends, not expect them to jump on your band wagon.

The BM-I was the first attempt at any sort of instruction rating (even if it is a manufacturer's rating),

No. No it wasn't.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The BM-I was the first attempt at any sort of instruction rating (even if it is a manufacturer's rating),

No. No it wasn't.

Then what was?

BTW, I had maybe 50 jumps when I showed up there, so I wasn't even arrogant yet, like I am now.

Click

There was a local program formed at SkyDance involving a rating and training program. Started with Original Classics. A few other DZ's in the nation also had such programs. Then the BMI thing happened, and the original programs seemed pointless.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The problem is that not every newly certified BMI has gone through this class, yes there still is some Gimme's out there ( probably outside of Chucks area of ops).

I'll make it clear for everyone, as Chuck has already said in the past, there are no "gimmes" to the Instructor course. It plain and simple, you either pass both the ground and in air evaluation or you fail. The Tasks, Conditions and Standards are clearly outlined before the class even begins and all materials are handed out to the student. There are no grey areas or room for interpatation on either the student or evaluators part, the evaluation check list keeps the playing field level. No one will get a "gimme" from either Chuck or myself or any of the other BMCIs for that matter.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

No one will get a "gimme" from either Chuck or myself or any of the other BMCIs for that matter.

Not a doubt in my mind Scott, nor do I doubt the course is a good one. Its just that not every instructor on the new list has been evaluated by ANY BMCI. Maybe as we speak and from now on it will be the case. But while some people are gripeing that they didn't get their patch it is known that others just made a phone call to get on the list. With no eval and I'm not talking about first generation BMIs BEFORE the current program.
So much for the level playing field theory. I'm not complaining. I'm not in the target demographic either way. I'm just letting you know what is known.

But while some people are gripeing that they didn't get their patch it is known that others just made a phone call to get on the list. With no eval and I'm not talking about first generation BMIs BEFORE the current program.

I have no idea what your talking about so please get with me offline(PM) and if there is a problem it will be addressed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have no idea what your talking about so please get with me offline(PM)

Scott, it is pretty self explanitory. If you want me to name names I'm not going to. I like you man but sorry I won't go there.

and if there is a problem it will be addressed.

Well brother here I can gladly help you. And happily will. As evidenced by some posts it seems there are people out there that are not buying into the BMI structured program for whatever reason. Whether it be from some jumpers desire to just do their own thing ( and there always will be )or from some people feeling that they are not being treated correctly or that those within the structure are somehow doing a disservice to the product and take away from the overall experience.

Birdman produces a product but the BMI's, who are basically representing volunteers for some meager returns on their efforts, are offering only a service and have a great deal of control on how their offerings are viewed in terms of value by the general skydiving community. It does a disservice to the other BMIs if for the most part they are viewed as attention seeking, under skilled, reproachfull or status hungry. All of the above just pushes jumpers away. It kills the unity.

What needs to happen is across the board quality instruction ( I have no doubt that it exist now, but I'm not the customer to be ). Top notch organizing if its announced. And some self policing of any grandstanding or posturing. That last one has killed the vibe for some people.

You have to sell the fun anything else is just a self defeating waste of effort.

Don't harsh the messenger Scott, please. I just say it like it is. This is not a small local thing, I've heard it from all corners.
The BMIs have a big responsibility. If the attitude is "what do I get from the course for my $300 dollars"? " Who can sponsor me"? Then maybe that person shouldn't have become a BMI. You need the person whose mentality is "what can I do to help promote the growth of some fun, safe and groovey wingsuit happenings".

As there are more spare suits out there the neophytes will just bypass instructors with the first mentality and seek help from mentors with the second ideals. And the title of BMI still won't be taken seriously.

You're damn right that's the reason ;)

Just write Erika ( [email protected] ) and she will send you couple.

Greetings from Helsinki.

Received! Per Erika, her goal was for every single item in the envelope to bare the BirdMan logo. I can assure you that her mission was accomplished. She is doing fine work, and I heartily endorse your decision in her employment.

Click