petetheladd

Wingsuit GPS.

I recently got the garmin forerunner 201 GPS for use mainly on wingsuit flights.

I have now some jump data but the logbook software is really limited and does'nt show a lot.

I have also taken the GPS data and pushed it into USAPhotomaps software and so can see the wingsuit track superimposed on aerial photographs of the DZ - all pretty sweet.B|

However, I would really like to 3d view the track profile.

What software are the GPS birdmen using to glean/view tracking information?

I'm gonna take a look at topofusion and wissenbach 3dmap but would like a heads up if anyone has done similiar.

P.t.L

No, Not without incident

You might do a search through this forum. This thread is fairly on topic, as is this one. But a search for "gps" turns up a ton of information (seven pages of posts).

You might also contact Kevin over at FlyBirdMan, as I know he's done a bunch of GPS stuff.

I like OziExplorer, but it's been a while since I played with it.

Perhaps Outrager or Cpoxon can chime in with more current information?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just got a forerunner 201 for my running :) but was going to try it out on wingsuit flights to add another data source for my flytrack project.

I haven't had time to play with it but what I think I'll end up doing is using:

USA Photomaps to import the data from the forerunner as well as download the sat imagery from terra server.

This software will create a CSV from the GPS data which I can then use to import into the Delorme XMap software i'm using for flytrack.

Thanks for posting the info here guys, I tried the Forerunner yesterday at Richland skysports.

I used Photomaps and it works great, although the sat photos are somewhat outdated (1994 I think)

2.12 miles at 71 mph fwd. average.

Anyone know how to have photomaps use the latest 2002 color photos in the urban areas?
thanks!
JIM

2.12 miles at 71 mph fwd. average.

What was the freefall and what was the wind direction (headwind, crosswind, downwind)? 2.12 miles at 71mph forward is 107s. Would I be correct in assuming that you had about a 7,000' freefall for a 1.6:1 glide ratio? BTW, 1.6:1 is right about the max glide ratio you can get in a GTi in no wind. Good stuff.

Sounds like you're flying a lot. That's great! I'm going to start bugging people pretty soon about participating in a BM-I course in the NW. You should definitely consider getting the rating.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Hey Steve! What's up?
Looks like you've been a wandering wingsuit gypsy lately.

There was a tailwind that day, probably 15MPH or so.
It was from 10'8 deployed at 3'2
It's nice to have the GPS to really know for sure what I'm doing.

Protrack read 47 MPH avg. 105 seconds.

I've started to feel this turbulence/pulling on my suit over my butt, then if I push a little further I start feeling a little unstable on the upper body, like a rolling sensation. This is usually where I'm in the low 40's
I try to fly just before this happens and it seems to be the best glide.

BM-I course in the NW.

I'm definitely interested, I'll have to keep my eyes open for the next one...Kapollapalooza maybe?
That might be a good time to have a NW WS gathering, no?

JIM

Hey Steve! What's up?
Looks like you've been a wandering wingsuit gypsy lately.

That's sort of been the goal for awhile. Going forth and spreading the wing, er... word, er...

There was a tailwind that day, probably 15MPH or so.
It was from 10'8 deployed at 3'2
It's nice to have the GPS to really know for sure what I'm doing.

Protrack read 47 MPH avg. 105 seconds.

Nice work, man. Over 2.12 miles, that's about 1.5:1.

I've started to feel this turbulence/pulling on my suit over my butt, then if I push a little further I start feeling a little unstable on the upper body, like a rolling sensation. This is usually where I'm in the low 40's
I try to fly just before this happens and it seems to be the best glide.

Sounds like you're flying on the edge of a stall. This yields the best fall rate, but not much forward speed. With a tailwind, that is a good way to get a good glide. A slow fall rate and fast tailwind will offset the slow forward speed and have you covering more ground. Into the wind, you'll probably cover more ground in a flat/divier body position, even though your fall rate will be higher. Crosswind, flying somewhere in the middle gives a big, fat glide. If you can stay above 1.5:1 in a GTi with any wind orientation, then you're kicking some ass.

You should cruise down for Kapollapalooza, anyway. Should be a good number of suits with which to flock.

Click

Manbird what is Kapollapalooza? When and where?

Hey, BJ. Heard a lot about you whilst in Davenport. Kapollapalooza is July 24 - 26, 2004 in Molalla, OR. It's a joint boogie between Kapowsin and Skydive Oregon. The first one held last year was HUGE. Definitely the most activity I've seen at a NW DZ.

Click