paulca

Gloves

Is it worth wearing gloves early on in learning?

I'm figuring they would add safety for my hands, in the unfortunate event I get my mitts caught in the lines. They should also had grip for grabbing the handle if/when I get to dummy pulls.

And damn :(, it ain't going to be "summer" or what passes for "summer" here for much longer. If I sit the whole winter out it will be a £50, full day, retrain.

If I was to use gloves and the DZ doesn't rent them out, would motorcycle summer gloves do? They are goat leather, I can easily operate small switches with them. :)

Paul

You're in the UK, so you're gonna need gloves at some point.
Don't know what the rules are over there, over here you need to wear gloves whenever it's freezing at exit altitude. Which basically, been much of this summer [:/]

When you buy gloves, buy thin (summerweight) ones at first, and make sure they have no spare material in the palm area plus you can easily tie your shoelaces while wearing them. You want them to be wind proof.
Your local skydive shop will sell suitable gloves, if you buy from anywhere else show them to your instructor before jumping them.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I agree with asking your instructors.

That being said I've been wearing gloves since day one.

I get mine from PD. You can also get them from the NSL. (same glove different logo)

I never take off my wedding ring so I wear gloves over it.

If you don't wear gloves then take off your rings when you jump.

Again show your gloves to your instructors and get them approved.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Baseball gloves are really nice too for skydiving.

I realize of course, you meant batting gloves (I have a couple pair that I love for jumping) but for a split second I had an image in my head of a fielding glove. Might make it a little tougher to get to your handles. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I wear gloves every day at work, literally all day at work. I prefer Mechanix gloves for that (originals during the winter months, with liners, vented versions in the summer).

I wear the same gloves skydiving and have for 7-8 years. 6 cutaways later, I didn't have any problems wearing gloves, but I'm also very accustom to wearing them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I wear gloves every day at work, literally all day at work. I prefer Mechanix gloves for that (originals during the winter months, with liners, vented versions in the summer).

I wear the same gloves skydiving and have for 7-8 years. 6 cutaways later, I didn't have any problems wearing gloves, but I'm also very accustom to wearing them.

In Skydiving~ Gloves are like helmets and quality footwear, something you may never need but are priceless to have if & when you do.

If ya think a paper-cut on your pinky sucks, imagine a line cutting deep into your finger, or road rash on your palms.

I use my hands every day and try to keep them operational.

I can't ever remember NOT wearing gloves...Hell even BOWLERS wear 'em! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Your instructors have the final say.

Your motorcycle gloves would work fine but may not last too long.

Neuman receiver gloves, summer usually but winter when really cold, are good.

http://www.thejumpshop.co.uk/acatalog/Gloves.html#a96

If it's like the U.S. you can find them cheaper somewhere besides a skydiving shop.

I wear gloves all the time but my use came from starting to through static line students very early on. I always pulled the static line by hand (yes it was hooked to the airplane) so I had more control. Do this without gloves isn't recommended.:) I also once got my hands up too early and got snaped by my risers. My little finger was cut to the bone next to my nail THROUGH my gloves.

But fear of that is not why you should wear gloves. Keep you hands out of the way. But there are lots of areas where gloves help, holding on to the airplane, protecting hands on rough landings, holding grips etc.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I wear gloves on almost every jump after ripping my hand wide open on some sharp skin of a 182 door frame. Blood everywhere and a scar to remember it by...lesson learned.
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Gloves will definitely protect your hands from all kinds of cuts and abrasions. Here in SoCal, thin Neuman type gloves are all we need year 'round. I also use them for jumps when I'm in certain climb out positions that require grabbing hold of metal hardware.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I wear gloves all the time, Neumann I find are the best but I get through at least a couple of pairs a season 'cos I wear them all the time as that helps dexterity.

I also wear a helmet, jumpsuit and decent socks all the time too. The amount of times I see people wearing low socks, shorts no gloves etc makes me laugh. I always say to them that when you skydive you know where you take off from but you never know where you may end up landing............

You should try the LookMa gloves (www.lookma.de). There the best gloves I've seen for skydiving and the only ones I've tested that will last for a very long time!

I tried the Neumann, Akando, baseball gloves etc but these are far better.

I have the Lookma gloves too but find they're thicker and give me less dexterity than the Neumanns.

Having said that their quality is impressive.

Its always worth speaking to an instructor before jumping with gloves (as a student).

Personally, I never jump without them, I like the skin on my hands too much to not wear them.
As winter rolls in you'll see why you need them ;)

I have a normal summer pair of gloves (http://www.dzsports.co.uk/dz-sports-gloves-325-p.asp) and some thick leather winter gloves with a thin pair of cloth liners (http://www.dzsports.co.uk/aircrew-winter-gloves-327-p.asp)

I used to wear gloves only in winter, but now I wear them on every jump - no matter how hot it is. Can't remember how I started doing that, but I know I'd feel naked without them now.

If I ever think about jumping without gloves, I only have to consider how quickly I get through them - I find they wear out very quickly indeed. Grabbing rails and risers, popping visors with numb fingers, botching a landing - there's plenty of potential for damage to your hands, even if it's only minor.

I only ever wear summer weight gloves, though, even on the coldest days. I find they're still enough to keep my hands from freezing and I hate the thought of not being able to feel handles through thick leather.