heyday

Opensource wingsuit maths

I have spoken to several people lately that would like to have a formula that can address how much (or little) of their potential they are getting from their wingsuit, based on their weight and size.

Suggestions have been made that say 'smaller, lighter people fly for longer'.

So, maybe it would be a good idea to get all those interested to suggest variables and assumptions to be taken into account in the formula.

So to find out if we are flying good or bad we start with the following.

variable 1: Body weight
variable 2: Body height
variable 3: Length of flight
variable 4: Height flown

Can anyone add to the variables involved, or introduce assumptions to follow?
Can anyone suggest how to formulate these variables to get a result that reflects potential used?

Dave
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."...Steven Wright

Can anyone add to the variables involved, or introduce assumptions to follow?

Weather conditions.

While winds shouldn't effect fall rates and time in the air, it will have an effect on the ground track. So if two people of different sizes were to jump together, the winds aren't an issue. But if they are comparing jump results, from two seperate jumps at let's say seperate locations and/or seperate times, the winds could influence the results. At least as far as distance covered across the ground is concerned. And when I think about the type of wingsuit flying which really appeals to me (wingsuit BASE and out of hot air balloons), what matters is being able to track to the desired landing area, not how long I'm stayed in the air. Staying up in the sky long is just an added bonus making longer jumps even more possible.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The style of flying ie body position is far more important than anything else, you can have the Skyflyer and be outflown by a Classic if you dont know how to shape your body to the optimum and the classic pilot does. There are so many variables probably over 30 which to understand in a formulae would be impractical and not much value, set a goal for your flight, whether that be control, speed or distance or a combination and then work to it.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Hello, I live on a D.Z. in Fl. have made over 535 wing suit jumps mostly in an S1(Love my S3). I have a note book of notes on the suits flying ability. Basically it is a wing to weight ratio. Also, what you are trying to do I.E. Max. flight time, Distance; not to mention atmosphere.