CanuckInUSA

Advice for the new wingsuit flier

Not sure what the weather will be like in Eloy this weekend. But I will be there to do some jumping from Thursday through Sunday and many of the loads I will be doing will be flying with my new wingsuit.

Originally I was supposed to hook up with a friend who's a BMI. But that doesn't look like it'll happen now. So I was wondering if there are any sort of exercises I should be doing as a new wingsuit flier? (I've made a grand total of three wingsuit jumps to date). I'm not really looking for the same info that my original BMI gave me, but instead looking for info I can use towards learning off of those first few dozen jumps.

Ideas ... anyone?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The first few jumps just get comfortable--try to feel the way the suit flies. Go for freefall time-set protrack to slo mode. Then find someone else to fly relative too. If you bought a GTI talk to a BMI about arm position it is different than a classic.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

looking for info I can use towards learning off of those first few dozen jumps.

Jumping with a BMI or an experienced Birdman will increase the chances of you correcting any flight problems before they become habit. Those who jump early on with other Birds progress faster than those who jump alone Often times it is body position related and you would have no way of knowing without having someone else looking at you. Look up :ph34r:lip as he lives there now.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As for BM jumps, I'm right where you are, Steve. Right now, I'm trying to work on maintaining a straight flight (even when my head is turned to check my alti, check for fellow jumpers, or to look where I'm going), knowing the flight plan even when I'm solo (for example, how high/how far from the dz, when to turn back, when to really open high), and changing altitudes (ie. diving down a bit and then popping back up). I've had issues slowing down when I try to drop down because I'm bending my legs instead of driving down at an angle.

Because you have many more jumps, you're probably already much more comfortable in the suit so you may have already worked on this stuff. I'm taking the slow road to wingsuit progression!:D

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here