LouDiamond

CSS Easter Boogie

Well it was a good showing as there were plenty of Birds in attendance and several more added to the flock. Weather slowed us down a little bit but there wasn't a day that we didn't jump. Several bigways were launched from the CASA and lots of fun was had in the sky and on the ground. Pictures to follow.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I think the rule of "Make sure you are looking at the right airport" was reinforced.

Too funny, I think a few learned that the hard way. Like 5 miles away LOL:D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well, Scott, even you got fooled for a second or two! :)
"You mean we got to fly all the way over there!!?! Oh .. wait... wrong dz." ;)

I think the 5 miles away run also reinforced the 'if you can't really see the ground and where you want to go, maybe you shouldn't be getting out.' Doubly so for a birdman jump.

j

"I think the 5 miles away run also reinforced the 'if you can't really see the ground and where you want to go, maybe you shouldn't be getting out.' Doubly so for a birdman jump."

I totally agree, I wouldn't recomend to anyone doing a BM jump when you can't see the ground. However, when looking out the back of the casa and seeing cumulous clouds shooting up from 4K, it's kind of hard to say no. Probably not the best mentality, but there are TONS of outs in the surrounding area. Espicially with 4K ft to find one. Plus, there is something fun to landing in someones backyard and hitch hiking back to the DZ :P

Just for the record, probably won't do that again but definatly do not regret it.

Yep, I know that pull!

Once we were searching for a hole, while I was at the front of the plane in my birdman suit. I was almost crying to see two huge cloud formations forming a valley, basically right over the dropzone, and being stuck while they were looking for the spot.

By the time we completed a go-around for the clouds, they had moved off. Good for the other jumpers, but I missed my chance to 'base jump' in the 10k foot high 'cloud canyon'. [:/]

But that all being said, it was the right choice, for more reasons than just traffic. If you have a malfunction, and end up screwing around with it enough, or chop and deploy your reserve low, you can easily be in a spot where you wont be able to make it to a good landing area, or not be able to set up to land into the wind. These scenarios do make it harder to come out unscathed.

j

Well, Scott, even you got fooled for a second or two!

yeah, on that first jump it took me a second to orient. Funny thing is, I think I could of made it to that other airport if I didn't swoop down to you and chuck.

I think the 5 miles away run also reinforced the 'if you can't really see the ground and where you want to go, maybe you shouldn't be getting out.' Doubly so for a birdman jump

Well at least 2 out of the 5 made the right choice. When you have 2 BMCI's saying that going up isn't a good idea it shouldnt be a hard decission. I'm just glad everything worked out.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

my first birdman jump, and it was money! muchas grassyass senior diamond for the education and the jump! once i get my suit we'll go make another!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Hey lou, Cancer Chris; Just thought I would drop you a line and see what is up. I am still recovering from the bone marrow transplant last month. After a small case of puenmonia I am back on the road to recovery. I plan to make a jump this week to see just how strong things are I will let you know anything new maybe we can see some bigger flocks this spring. Your Friend Cancer Chris