John4455

Night Wingsuit Jump

I did one.

It was cool. Search the forum for more info.

All I can think to tell you is open a little higher, cos if stuff goes wrong and you can't find things - it could get ugly.

Small details, like finding the press studs on your hips, can make the difference between a nice landing and a face plant. Know that stuff like you could do it in the dark!

I was SO COOL though.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I am actually considering doing one this weekend. But for some reason, everytime I think about it, I have these mutant butterflies commence to attacking my freakin' innards!!! I hate being a wuss!! But will more than likely try it anyway!
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!

Yep. Quite a thrill, some of the most beautiful visuals. I would recomend being VERY familiar with both night jumps and wingsuit flight, and be current at the DZ you're planning to do it at. You will need to know without a doubt where the landmarks are at night. Detailed briefings and comunication needs to be made with the other jumpers on the load, and the pilot.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Night jumps are quite fun but like any night jump you must have a good plan and use appropriate lights on your body to include your Alti. Depending on how much illumination you have it can be like sensory deprivation when really dark or if there is a lot of ambient light and Illum it can be somewhat easy to discern landmarks or objects. Run a search and you will find a few good threads on this topic.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

press studs on your hips

what's that ??

Some Birdman wingsuits have studs on the booties to secure them to the hips after deployment. This prevents them tripping you up on landing.

I couldn't find the studs in the dark, and so unzipped the front zipper and pushed the booties into the suit after taking them off my feet.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Some people call them SNAPS as well;) Another trick if you can't get a bootie to snap down is to simply tie the booties together in front of you(like the first part of tieing your shoe lace) or on the SF3, you can push them back into the air deflector hole in your crotch.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yep, in a GTi or a Classic, it's easier to just tie the legs in an overhand knot and let them hand between your legs. All you are trying to prevent is tripping on the booties or trashing your leg-wing and booties on landing. Skyflyers and S3's have a hole between the legs which we simply poke the unzipped leg-wing into. Much faster than snapping it up.

Chuck

Anybody here ever done one?

Yup, out of a Cessna at Hollister, CA last year. I'm not a big fan of night jumps (too many static line night jumps in the military) but i made an exception for the winsuit.
It was a moonless jump (someone planned the jump before the full moon had risen) but it was still quite cool to be zipping around in the dark for such a long time.
another benefit was that I opened WAY away from the other three jumpers and was able to land last (canopy collision is my biggest concern during night jumps)
as everyone has said, plan it carefully but have fun!

<><><><><><>
Q: "Do you think it gets boring just flying around or is there more to it?"
A: "I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead."