pchapman

ProTrack SLO mode - Use it for non-wingsuit too?

If one has a ProTrack set in SLO mode to better record wingsuit flights, what is the effect of leaving it in that mode for regular skydives?

For example, might it affect exit or deployment altitude records compared to normal? Is there ever any time when SLO mode's "increased sensitivity" to pressure change & altitude causes errors?

I'm wondering whether to just leave the ProTrack in the SLO mode all the time, or switch back and forth depending on jump type. No info seen in the archives about this issue.

i'm guessing that by putting it in slow mode you lower the set point at which it registers a deployment, i.e. reduction in velocity and therefore all that should happen is it should register a bit of a longer descent and hence more ff time....... i could be wrong though not being that technically minded. best send an e to larsen and brusgaard if unsure?

If it's safe it ain't fun

For the record, I emailed L & B and received this reply:

"In the manual on page 46 you can see the specs when the unit is put in SLO mode. This setting does not affect the exit and opening altitude calculations if you leave the unit is this mode.

Best regards,
Mads Larsen"

i'm guessing that by putting it in slow mode you lower the set point at which it registers a deployment, i.e. reduction in velocity and therefore all that should happen is it should register a bit of a longer descent and hence more ff time.?

I'll go back to this old thread because I now have data from JumpTrack curves for some of my jumps in SLO mode WITHOUT a wingsuit:

The quote above appears accurate, although L & B didn't mention it.

For example, in a sample of 10 jumps, in Normal mode, my ProTrack recorded opening speeds usually in the 85-100 mph SAS range (with extremes of 78 to 102).
In SLO mode, during a similar number of jumps, the recorded opening speed ranged from 20 to 75 mph SAS. So in SLO mode the computer seems to be much more variable in its choice of what time to call the time of opening.

The slower speed at the indicated time of opening does result in a lower indicated opening altitude, but only by 100 to 200 feet.

That's based on looking at the JumpTrack graphs. If one selects an arbitrary 90 mph for Opening, then the opening altitude is 100 - 200 ft higher than shown by the ProTrack (with its 20 - 75 mph at opening in my data sample).

(FWIW, these were all flatfly RW jumps followed by a track until just before deployment, using a Sabre 135. A snivellier canopy might show a slightly larger difference between SLO and Normal mode openings.)

I leave my pro-track on slo mode for all jumps. I also jump a Neptune at the same time. This lets me compare the two. I have known for years that I would not put money on anyting a protrack says, It is an excellent product- but it is a tool not a scientific fact. I have compared protracks on the same freefly skydive and find as much as 10% descrepancies. Both were not in slow mode. Anyway blue skies and safe landings Cancer Chris