The111

bag orientation

I did my first few flights this weekend with no mods to packing or equipment. It seemed to work well enough and I've had many flyers say that I should be fine, but I've been reading many posts on here that make me think otherwise, Chuck Blue in particular makes a good point in several posts saying you may be able to "get by" with standard gear for many jumps, but why not use the best methods available?

So I plan to get cut corners, long bridle, and "inbound stows" bag I've heard of for my Vector 3.

As far as packing the bag, I've heard many people suggest packing grommet to pin. My bag is very rectangular, and I don't think it would fit very cleanly like that. I have yet to try, and I will, but I still don't think it will pack well like that. Does anyone go as far as rotating the bag another 90 degrees so the grommet is closest to the BOC area? I think I heard someone suggest this but when thinking about it, it seems like it could actually make the bag harder to extract in fast forward flight, especially without cut corners to container.

Thoughts?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

For now just go with the longer bridle, as for packing the bag at a full 90 degrees i wouldn't do that unless you get the dynamic corner mod, or so i here. But for now i would recomend getting the longer bridle ZP pilot chute, you can get them from Jimmy Cazer, i got one of his birdman PC's from Skykat for about $80. If your bags is rectangular try getting the bag in the container with the grommet as hi as possible, i put mine at about a 45-60 degree angle in the container, it seems to work and pack a little better. J-rock

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

I have a javelin rig with the standard (not cut) corners. I started packing my d-bag "grommet to pin" when i started jumping a wingsuit 2 years ago and now pack it that way for all my jumps (freefly and wingsuit). I find that it helps all kinds of openings, reduces line twists in a wingsuit, and fits in the container just fine.
that's my $0.02

My bag is very rectangular, and I don't think it would fit very cleanly like that. I have yet to try, and I will, but I still don't think it will pack well like that

Some people are unable to pack this way either due to a large main or the containers characteristics. If your D bag doesn't fit well with the grommet up there is a Birdman specific bag that is being built by Jump Shack that will pack neatly and uniformly into your container. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. I do not recommend packing grommet to BOC if you do not have low corners or cut corners on your rig. The results can be an incredibly unstable D bag leaving the container and subsequent problems. I know of a handful of people who pack that way but they have completely open corners or very low ones. I know of at least one incident where packing the D bag that way resulted in a cut away.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I don't use any of the mods For various personal reasons but when you come down to it if you have a cuttaway that can be attributed directly to any of the reasons that the mods would have cured you are just waiting money.

New freebag if lost = $275.00
Reserve repack= $60- $75
Vs
Proper length main bridle new with PC= $100 ( if not free as an option on new gear)
Container cut corners ( free on new gear ) cheap by a rigger.
Packing gromet to bridle= free
your life= priceless

Glen is right. Dick around long enough with the wrong equipment and eventually you are going to find yourself in that situation.

Matt, as to your bag being more rectangular, try and squish it down in there anyway (pin to grommet). I have seen many a person do it. Scott did it with his old racer no problem. You will absolutely get cleaner openings packing that way. Also, no, don't pack grommet to BOC unless you have dynamic corners.

Chuck

don't pack grommet to BOC unless you have dynamic corners.

This is what I suspected. For clarification, is dynamic corners the same as cut corners? I was under the impression there are varying degrees of how much stitching you can get removed. I would think you wouldn't want to pack grommet to BOC unless you get the "most cut" corner you can, i.e. a full trap door effect on the BOC.

So for those who do have fully cut corners, do you prefer grommet to BOC, or do you still do just grommet to pin? I plan to get my corners cut soon, but I'd like to have the same packing methods for all jumps if possible, and I'm wondering on a freefall jump if there's any disadvantage of grommet to BOC. Honestly, grommet to pin makes perfect sense for freefall, but I don't know if there is a large advantage to grommet to BOC (with cut corners) for wingsuit, over grommet to pin.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If you have fully cut corners and your bag fits better that way, then packing grommet to BOC only makes sense. I play around with my two containers, sometimes packing pin to grommet and sometimes packing grommet to BOC. Same results both ways due to my long bridle and open corners.

Chuck

I posted a question about dynamic corners on this forum (two pages back) there are some good pictures of different mods on there, and some comments from people that have had the mod done, check that out if you get a chance, J-Rock

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Matt, as to your bag being more rectangular, try and squish it down in there anyway (pin to grommet).

Ok, you're right, I just repacked my rig in my living room (yes, really!). When I started closing the first flap I said there is no way in hell this is going to fit. It looked horrible. But by the time the third flap was closed it almost looked identical to my normal packjobs.

So here's the newbie question. I'm aware of the stereotype that low-time jumpers put way too much effort into keeping their packjob neat and pretty when all that matters are a few key things like slider position, etc. I'm guilty of liking super neat packjobs. So when I was squishing the hell out of my bag to make it rectangular in the direction it wasn't intended to be, I got a little nervous, feeling like I was deforming the canopy by squishing the bag so aggressively. But it shouldn't matter, right? Once the locking stows are on everything inside will stay in the right position. I feel really stupid for this, but I'm actually a little nervous to jump this packjob, even though I know it should be better opening...

Another stupid worrisome question... I can jump this type of packjob for normal freefall jumps, right? Is it actually preferable for them too?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Another question... I can jump this type of packjob for normal freefall jumps, right? Is it actually preferable for them too?

Yup, no problems. see my post above.

<><><><><><>
Q: "Do you think it gets boring just flying around or is there more to it?"
A: "I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead."