PhreeZone

Reserve ride on a wingsuit

I just am wondering exactly what is the frequency of reserve rides on wingsuits. For those of you who have had to pull the silver... is there any chance you could post your level of WS flying experience along with the equipment being used (rig and wingsuit)? Also could you describe the type of mal you had.

I was talking to another WS flyer who recently chopped and we started wondering if a lot of the people who chopped are jumpers on ellipticals early in their WS flying experience, jumpers flying suits they are'nt ready for yet or just other weird things.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Two rides in a wingsuit. Once under an H-mod Cobalt that experienced a brake fire and a malfunctioned arm zipper. I had about 150 wingsuit flights then. The second was a very bad spinner under the same main (it was very out of trim) when I had about 250 flights.

Keep the coy comments to yourself in this thread, please. This will be a good reference thread in the future. If you haven't chopped in your suit, then don't post.

Chuck

I don't post much here anymore, but this is probably a pretty good thread to share experience in.

I've had 2 reserve rides on a wingsuit, 3 total reserve rides (all happened in the same month.. just my luck).

I'd have to get my logbook back out, but i'd say I had around 150 wingsuit flights on the first one, and it really wasn't wingsuit related.

Cutaway #1: Had just gotton rig back from rigger who (if I recall correctly) had just repacked the reserve. Rigger had misrouted bridle (see picture) and I missed it on a gear check. Had a PC in tow (which I initially thought was just a burble) - i closed up my wings and leaned to one side to clear the "burble" but when that didn't work I looked back to see a fully inflated pilot chute. Went straight to silver.

Cutaway #2 - not wingsuit related, but just a few weeks later. (See video) Backwards stilleto demo.

Cutaway #3 - Just a few weeks after that, one of the PD guys had told me he rotates his D-BAG 180 degrees (so the grommet is along the bottom of the pack tray and the lines are along the bottom of the reserve tray). The purpose of this was to help with line twists, which I was getting every so many jumps - so I tried it. Deployed and it spun up more times than I could count before even getting out of the bag, then put me on my back.

All of these were done with a pre-g3 mirage with no modifications. After cutaway #3 i took the rig to my rigger for some mods, haven't had a cutaway since!

(dynamic corners)

Something to be said, evidentally if you have a rig with FULLY dynamic corners you CAN rotate your dbag 180 degrees without it being an issue.

Pulled silver on my very first wingsuit flight. Pitched, had the PC caught in burble. Tried to roll around, couldn't get it out. Grabbed the edge of it with on hand and held it while firing the reserve.

To be honest, I panicked. I was scared to death of this wingsuit contraption, had almost no coaching or instruction, and didn't like the feel of confinement. I'm sure if the same thing happened today, I'd be able to get the PC off my back and a normal inflation.

BTW, I had pulled at around 5000' on that jump. And I fired the reserve at about 3500'. How's that for high pulling?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have had one cutaway with the BM Skyflyer back in November. Was jumping a Wings container with a Stiletto 97 that I had just received from PD as a demo until MY 97 was done with its reline. It was my 65th BM jump and pitched at 5,000 like normal. It was probably my most stable, picture perfect deployment yet with this suit, but for some reason, (*Yeah, ok, I have narrowed it down to NOT having the dynamic corners in the container) the stiletto spun up like a top. I was immediate on my back but knew that I had plenty of time, so I undid right arm zipper, check altimeter, undid left zipper, check altimeter, attempted to clear twist, (*Yeah, that was a joke) check altimeter, screamed out "I just had this freakin' reserve packed, S-O-B, and cutaway by 3,000. All relatively uneventful, but pissed me off, none the less. Lets just say that I have dynamic corners now.

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

Only 1 of 120 so far. Was my fourth BM jump under my Cobalt 150 @ ~1.3 in a Wings container with NO BM mods. I had a spinner and rather than spend time screwing with it I chopped. Hindsight tells me I could have gotten out of it (have had more twists and dives with the same canopy since) but being new to the wing I decided to work on chopping early because I wanted to figure out any problems with a BM chop while I still had altitude to deal. My BM-FJC told me cutting away would be the same, but I wanted the extra time to deal with any 'surprises' that I might find. There were none. I chopped pretty high, probably 4ish, but I don't have my logbook handy. Since then, none.

P.S. Was also my first save as well, didn't think about that part of it until I had already chopped and was going for silver. :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

I pulled the silver handle at Lost Prairie last year, had about 50 wingsuit jumps then. Went to deploy at 4000 and could not find the hackey, could feel the pilot chute in the BOC stuck my thumb down into the BOC trying to fish the hackey out it wasn't in there and went to siver. The first thing I did after the reserve opened was to reach back and find the hackey it was right there. I think the top skin of the pilot chute pulled out of the mouth of the BOC some and it let the hackey flip up between the rig and my back.

One due to the shrivel flap on the base PC pouch. Although I did fight with the bridle for a few seconds, In hind sight I could have gone to a head high posture to assist the velcro. In the reserve sadle at 2700, if your going to experiment do it high.

It was totally avoidable and for the record did not need to pull silver. Sad that I just had a repack the week before.

had 28 jumps on a classic, made 2 on a SF3 and had a cutaway with the 30th jump being a cutaway on my cobalt 105, and a was using a Javelin container.

My advise is to remember the rules of the air: PULL AT CORRECT ALTITUDE.... PULL AT ALL.....ETC....

ALSO stay calm and dont freak out and you will be ok.
Hell if i can do it.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I have 1 reserve ride on my classic, self induced line twist from unstable deployment, jumping a spectre 107 loaded at 1.7,could not cut away wings,found out later from Jari suit was not hooked up right, the cables were bound up.Cutaway was no problem with wings on. All is good now.
Johnny

One due to the shrivel flap on the base PC pouch. Although I did fight with the bridle for a few seconds, In hind sight I could have gone to a head high posture to assist the velcro. In the reserve sadle at 2700, if your going to experiment do it high.

It was totally avoidable and for the record did not need to pull silver. Sad that I just had a repack the week before.

Was the shrivel flap installed correctly? (i.e. sewn at the top of the shrivel flap, closest to pin, etc..) ?

See here for complete instructions

Yep, I pulled. It's posted here, in fact, right here.

Thick gloves, cold weather, and a dropped hackey all combined to give me my first Birdman reserve ride (3rd reserve ride total) on my 5th BirdMan jump.

The weather has only gotten worse, and I have not jumped since. It's just too much of a risk in my head, and I decided to wait for warmer weather again.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Never chopped in a wingsuit : 2600+ Total jumps : Near 300 Wingsuit : All on eliptical mains, most over 1.8 loading : Total cutaways in total amount of jumps 1.

From my PERSONAL experience the suit does not chande my openings or the results of said openings much at all.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Never chopped in a wingsuit : 2600+ Total jumps : Near 300 Wingsuit : All on eliptical mains, most over 1.8 loading : Total cutaways in total amount of jumps 1.

From my PERSONAL experience the suit does not chande my openings or the results of said openings much at all.

Dude, did you not read the topic of the thread? It's tell us about your cutaways, not brag about how bad you are.

:-)

If you think I'm bragging.......

I guess I wanted to point out that the wingsuit cannot be considered the only contributing factor. Example: I know someone who had 3 cutaways on wigsuits in 40 wingsuit jumps. HOWEVER the same person also had about 6 cutaways on the same canopy on normal jumps. (Velocity 111, brand new, ALL chops in the first 400 jumps.) Other people had jumped his canopy and had no problems.

I think some people are just prone to chop more often.

Or maybe I'm lucky.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

my only reserve ride is with a wingsuit:
#full flight (Skyflyer) opening with a Mirage G3 (no modifications), the bag started to spin and caused severe line twists in my Contrail 105 (loaded 1.5). The canopy opened in a spin and the twists were behind my neck so I couldn't even see the canopy. I didn't even try to clear and pulled cutaway immediately, took about 4s. to get in a good stable position and pulled the silver. No need to pull the handwing release. At that time I had about 100 flights and total 1200 jumps. Main pull was at 4500ft, reserve open at 3000ft. High pulling rules.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

Hmmmmm well Phreezone you know about this one but i will share witht the rest. About my 30th or so wingsuit jump under a skyflyer, had an awsome jump probably my best yet, went to pull, pulled very stable but felt uneven riser tug with the main hit line stretch, spun the dam thing about 9 times, this is a Heatwave H-Mod 170 and i weight about 155lbs without gear. So i pull the leg release to kick out as i see my feet go to the horizon and i found myself spinning on my back. Wasnt scarry at all, cut my wings and put the cables in my mounth and chopped. Lost my leg release when i pulled the cutaway but for some strange reason it was in my lying next to my freebag, go figure. Oh my container is a G3 witn no mods, and i think that is the problem!

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Had my first chop on my fifteenth birman jump, probably because my arms were not symmetrical immediately after opening. This caused a line twist which was quickly becoming a high speed spin. Performed the routine cutaway reserve procedure without cutting away the arms first. Dumped main at 4,000 and was under reserve, with arms and legs unzipped by 3,000. I have had 3 previous mals and certainly did not feel any restrictions on my arms during this cutaway.;)

You can thank Jerry McDonald for that one, kind of ironic that my first save was my own ass, but who better to test the old reserve. I was thinkin about that jump the other day and kinda wished i didnt cut any wings away so i could go back into full flight for a sec before pulling the reserve;) maybe next time

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

With about 200 wingsuit jumps at the time, I had a reserve ride on my Skyflyer at the Herc boogie 2002, first jump of the boogie, normal deployment, video even shows clean lines no twist and then oneside inflates very fast and spin spin, on my back, here we go. Cut leg away arms away and kick but the twists have gone into my risers. Not happening so i chopped and deployed its all on the herc boogie vid at the very end from ftp skydiving movies.

Cause: I use a silhoutte 150 for wingsuit and also as a second rig whilst freeflying, I was packing the silhoutte for nice snivelly openings for freefly and keeping the same for wingsuit. Basically too many rolls in the nose, as soon as I leave the nose completey out no rolls the canopy opens sweet. so 1 chop in 300 WS jumps.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!