BravestDog

Is wingsuit flying the best discipline when compared to the others?

There is a special type of jumper that likes Wingsuits... Lots of people have a few wingsuit jumps, but have decided that they like their other type of jumping more. Its addictive, but its not for everyone.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Sorry if this offends anyone, but this is a senseless question......
:S

Oh, I don't know, Ed. I like being able to jump with whoever is in the hangar. Hell, Ed, you still have my personal best record for RW flying when you got that 80 year old guy back into his 1000th skydive back at the American Boogie.

BM flying is just so different than anything else. If Chuck, Ed, and LouDiamond are at the DZ, I am damn glad I've got a suit, cause I get to fly with them.

For Gareth's crew I've got the bumpers, and for DeBar's I've got the baggy suit. For the DZ.boogie I've got my camera wings.

It's all good. BirdMan is a very challenging and fast/slow kinda good.

You know....I had to know where all of these questions were coming from so I looked at your profile....theoretical physicist. That definitely explains it.:P

As for the question, there's no real way to answer it. Different people want different things out of their skydiving. Myself, I have always been fascinated by the concept and had to try it for myself.

Now I have my GTi and I couldn't be happier. I still love to freefly and I'm still working on getting better at high-performance canopy flight, but now I have one more thing I enjoy doing.

I think my answer made as much sense as the question.:|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Thanks JP.
The guys 1000th jump that I went down and brought him back up to wasnt 80 yrs old though.:ph34r:
But the question was " what percentage would say wingsuit flying was the best discipline?"
I dont think wingsuits have been out long enough for people to start talking percentages on if they think they are the BEST over any other discipline.
ALL the disciplines in skydiving are GREAT!
And as you, I love to have a suit for EVERY discipline, and be good at it, so I can jump with whom ever on the DZ I choose to jump with.
It is all good.
Lets not worry about percentages is what I mean by a senseless question.......:P
:)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

One quick question re wingsuits.

If all jumpers were offered 10 free wingsuit jumps,

1. what percentage of them would agree that winguit flying is the best when compared to all disciplines

2. and why?

Re my initial posting on this thread:

I am only looking for estimates and am just throwing out numbers for simplicity.

My question should be, is wingsuit flying so different, so interesting...compared to the other disciplines, that if all jumpers tried it enough to get a feel for it, would they want to continue wingsuit flying only or are the other disicplines of skydiving similar in fun?

Would many jumpers find wingsuit flying boring or repetitive and the other disciplines more exciting, challenging...?

I am just trying to get a feel for the nature of wingsuit flying and it's relationship to the other disciplines.

Thankyou.

well. I know some hardcore freeflyers who have tried wingsuits and think it's too restrictive and not agressive enough. They have only few flights so that may be part of the reason, or not...

Vesa
BMCI

Do you mean that birdsuit flying is somewhat static in flight as compared to the other disciplines?

You assume a position and maintain it througout flight as compared to freeflyers who enjoy the dynamic nature of flying up down, left right...?

Can you compare and contrast a typical birdsuit flight to the other disciplines?

Thankyou.

Do you mean that birdsuit flying is somewhat static in flight as compared to the other disciplines?

No, I rewiewed their opinions about comparing it to freeflying. Not for example to FS, Tracking, style, accuracy etc.

You assume a position and maintain it througout flight as compared to freeflyers who enjoy the dynamic nature of flying up down, left right...?

No, but people with only few wingsuits may assume, as they are not skillful enough for agressive flying where you can go quite dynamic indeed.

Can you compare and contrast a typical birdsuit flight to the other disciplines?

What would be the typical wingsuit flight?
Solo, trying to max out?
Solo, aerobatics?
Dual, playing, taking grips?
Flocking big?
Flying with and filming a first timer?
Swooping things?
Just flying for the sake of beauty of it?
Or something else?

Vesa
BMCI

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

As Vesa already said, you really can't define what is your "typical birdsuit flight", there just is so much to do with suit. I just love to fly for the beauty of it, but i'm always ready for more technical stuff (flips, grips, etc...) if we decide to go that way. But hey, so is freeflying, try to define your "typical freefly"! You can just track or flock or do more hardcore technical stuff or mix 'em up. And who cares really, it's all good as long as it works for you ! :)
http://www.ufufreefly.com

I guess the reason that I've been skydiving for over forty years is because I dreamed of flying as a kid. Wingsuit flying is as close to that as I'll probably get. I am the only wingsuit flyer at our DZ so I shoot for the longest flite Ican get with the slowest vert. decent and as much time as I can possibly get. Currently my longest flite is over 4 miles, my longest time is over 2 min. 30 sec. and my slowest vert is 47 mph average.
The 4 mile flite was using high upper winds. My normal exits are 2 1/2 to 3 miles out. No out landings yet.
Final comment is 'if you ain't tried it don't knock it'. I'm 62 years old and will be jumping as long as I can walk to the plane.

Parasweep
If you ain't tried it , don't knock it.

Currently my longest flite is over 4 miles, my longest time is over 2 min. 30 sec. and my slowest vert is 47 mph average.
The 4 mile flite was using high upper winds. My normal exits are 2 1/2 to 3 miles out.
Parasweep

If you look at your slowest vertical speed of 47mph, what kind of vertical speeds do tracking skydivers get as a comparison to birdsuits?

Do you jump into the wind or away from the wind for the longest flights?

Thanks.

Currently my longest flite is over 4 miles, my longest time is over 2 min. 30 sec. and my slowest vert is 47 mph average.
The 4 mile flite was using high upper winds. My normal exits are 2 1/2 to 3 miles out.
Parasweep

If you look at your slowest vertical speed of 47mph, what kind of vertical speeds do tracking skydivers get as a comparison to birdsuits?

Do you jump into the wind or away from the wind for the longest flights?

Thanks.

a tailwind provides for longer flights. I've had horizontal speeds of 120+ mph with vertical speeds in the 40's / 30's during that time.

One quick question re wingsuits.

If all jumpers were offered 10 free wingsuit jumps,

1. what percentage of them would agree that winguit flying is the best when compared to all disciplines

2. and why?

The answer here is surely "We don't know". We don't know what other people would do and think. We kind of know how many people fly wingsuits now, and that's about it.

And why does it matter what % of other jumpers would think wingsuit flying is the best? Are you just really curious? I got thinking about it and realized I don't care how many other people think wingsuits are the bomb-diggity; I'm grateful it exists, I'm going to try it, I expect to love it, and it might be my favorite thing or I might prefer variety.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.