Skylark

So, if flying a wingsuit is so damn cool...

...why isn't everyone doing it? I never had a true ambition in life until I watched 'FastestMotherFuckerInTheValley'. Now I'm working hard at getting enough jumps in to be able to fly a suit. But I've only ever seen a few people on dropzones flying. I know lots of jumpers with more than 500 jumps, why aren't they flying? Why do they prefer falling to flying? I just hope I dont make my first Bird Man jump only to land and think, 'was that it?' What's the deal, flying wisdom kings? I need an answer... :S

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

There are alot of reasons why wingsuit flying is not the most popular form of skydivig. Alot of people have a fear of the wings (not having full range of motion). For others it may be the cost of the wingsuit. Mostly I hear people voicing the gear fear side of it. Oh and you can not forget that wingsuit flying really just got started only more recently I think 1998.
Kirk

Something about 'The need for speed', comes into play. Last weekend I exited from 13,000 ft into a 85 knot headwind, turned 90 and was rolled over another 90. The zoomming 80 second flight covered over four miles until I deployed @ 6,500 ft. See if you can calculate how fast I was going. I passed the decending Otter like it was a still life watercolor.

There are alot of reasons why wingsuit flying is not the most popular form of skydivig. Alot of people have a fear of the wings (not having full range of motion). For others it may be the cost of the wingsuit. Mostly I hear people voicing the gear fear side of it. Oh and you can not forget that wingsuit flying really just got started only more recently I think 1998.
Kirk

No...I heard people have been making wingsuits for ages. It is only recently that they have been living to tell about it though :) We have now entered the age of the non-suicidal wing suit!

Not being an ass or anything, but if you are working on getting to 500 jumps, you really haven't experienced everything there is to experience anyway. I have done an equal amount of RW, Freefly, Video, and freestyle jumps, and nothing compares to the experience of "Actual Unassisted Human Flight" that you get from a Wingsuit. Trust me, once you get "of age" to try the wingsuit, there will be no turning back, there wasn't for me. It is all I can think of. You have not lived until you have exited a plane, and "LOOKED DOWN AT THE TAIL" of the very aircraft that you just exited! It is truly "Airgasmic"... Peace, Out!

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

...why isn't everyone doing it?

Perhaps it is a good thing - skies might get really dense ;) if everybody would fly wingsuits.

I started wingsuit last summer and i absolutely loved it from the very 1-st jump. However some folks participating the same courses, said they did not like this kind of flying TOO much. People are different...

I'll buy my own suit soon but this does not mean I'll give up freeflying, rw, etc. I love flying in every possible way, even when aided by plane. :)
villem
life is what you make it to be
http://www.youtube.com/villu357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skybound

I haven't really had the desire to jump a wingsuit. I have over 2000 jumps. There are SOOOO many aspects of humand flight I am exploring and trying to master, thAt the desire has not occured to me yet....

...maybe someday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!