shah269

AAD or no AAD...that is the question

A brother can't find a nice second had Bev suit!

My new Tony Suit cost me something like $400 a couple years ago.

Skydive = approximately $25.

16 skydives = approximately $400.

Don't skydive for one or two months. (Or just make one or two jumps to keep current.)

Boom, new suit money. Sky is still there when you get back. And a custom suit will (hopefully) fit you perfectly.

Well...I guess the suit will have to wait....why are all you freaking guys skinny or short or worse...all of you freaking free fly!
A brother can't find a nice second had Bev suit!

I'm sure there's a Hot Bod suit out there to fit you.

Saw those, very cute girls!
I'm looking. Just a few things hit at once.
Friend offered a very nice price for a two year old AAD and now I have to refinance. I guess it's motorcycle pants and "borrowed" student suits for a little while longer.

At least if things go wrong I may live? Who knows?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Darn it guys! I wanted to be "bad ass"

Does jumping without one really qualify a person as bad assed these days? do some people really think this?:S

Its merely a choice that each person can make for themselves *(unless the rules require them where they are at)

I haven't jumped with one since I was a student unless it was in a borrowed rig - but when I resume jumping again I will be placing one in my rig, its really not all that much $$ and who knows, it might just come in handy.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

AAD or no AAD....that is the question.
These things really hold their value so well!
$1,400 new Cypress or $1,100 two year old used, never fired.

Well there are always those Argusus's things....

But I do need A suit...tired of "Barrowing"

Thoughts?

Hi ah-2,
If you have AAD then I suggest you find a good doctor or phychiatrist to try to cure you before you jump. AAD is a serious disease!!!!!! You can get killed jumping with that shit. As for borrowing a jumpsuit, jump in your patch pants and a sweatshirt or just jump nude. It's still summer and you won't freeze your balz off, just not yet.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Several months ago we had a student just cleared for self-supervised who had been heads up through CAT E whose rubber loop on the altimeter broke in free fall. The student spent the entire skydive fooling with the altimeter and had a cypres save instead of a funeral. Most, but not all, US DZs require AADs and I personally think that is a good thing. I know two other jumpers who also were saved by an AAD when they lost altitude awareness during a free-flying jump. They are a good thing, and for me a mandatory piece of safety equipment.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Yeah, I am aware of the student requirement -- no news there. But I have not been to a DZ yet that didn't require an AAD and I have been to a bunch. I still think an AAD should be a mandatory part of a jumper's gear. Ash White, a great skydiver, likely would still be alive if he'd had one in his rig (and turned it on). Knowing three friends who are walking around BECAUSE they had an AAD, proves their value to me.
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I

I spend most, but not all of my time on the East Coast. Elsinore rented me gear when I had about 35 jumps and it had an AAD in it and they checked to make sure I had turned it on before I got on the plane, so maybe they were just being safe with a newbie.
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I

Elsinore rented me gear when I had about 35 jumps and it had an AAD in it and they checked to make sure I had turned it on before I got on the plane, so maybe they were just being safe with a newbie.

It's their gear. They can make sure it's used to their specification.
Remster

Elsinore rented me gear when I had about 35 jumps and it had an AAD in it and they checked to make sure I had turned it on before I got on the plane, so maybe they were just being safe with a newbie.

At Perris, they'll make you turn on the AAD on rental gear before you even leave the gear shop. My personal rule is to turn mine on (Cypres2) in the parking lot, before I lift my rig out of the car. Ditto for my audible.

I know two highly experienced jumpers, each with thousands of jumps and one a former world champion, who were saved by AADs when they were injured too badly to pull any handles. There was also an instructor killed at Elsinore when he couldn't find his reserve handle after a cutaway - an AAD may or may not have saved him, but as his rig didn't have one, he never had that chance.

In the old days, too many people went in with no pull for reasons known only to themselves. That almost never happens anymore. Arguments against using AADs are based on either a macho mentality, or a misguided cheapskate approach to economy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

At Perris, they'll make you turn on the AAD on rental gear before you even leave the gear shop. My personal rule is to turn mine on (Cypres2) in the parking lot, before I lift my rig out of the car. Ditto for my audible.

I know two highly experienced jumpers, each with thousands of jumps and one a former world champion, who were saved by AADs when they were injured too badly to pull any handles. There was also an instructor killed at Elsinore when he couldn't find his reserve handle after a cutaway - an AAD may or may not have saved him, but as his rig didn't have one, he never had that chance.

In the old days, too many people went in with no pull for reasons known only to themselves. That almost never happens anymore. Arguments against using AADs are based on either a macho mentality, or a misguided cheapskate approach to economy.

Sold!

BTW: Anyone want to sell a used Cypress or Vigil?

I hear there are a bunch of them in the forrests ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Arguments against using AADs are based on either a macho mentality, or a misguided cheapskate approach to economy.

I don't think the money issue should be discounted. If you really can't afford an AAD and choose to jump without one, I don't see it as a noticeable improvement to safety. Most AAD fires are due to loss of altitude awareness, which is entirely preventable with or without an AAD. The situations where you are rendered incapacitated or unconscious seem infrequent, and can be mitigated by risk management and jump planning. The issue of finding your reserve handle is dealt with by using an RSL, not by an AAD.

There are definitely benefits to having one, especially when freeflying is involved where there can easily be large differences in speed, but I don't think any jumper should have to feel unsafe without an AAD. I know I personally would not have a problem jumping without one, and that has nothing to do with machismo.

That being said, it's nice to hear the jumper decided to get one.

I hear there are a bunch of them in the forrests ;)

Forrest Gump?

Touche... :$
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't see it as a noticeable improvement to safety.

I do.

Most AAD fires are due to loss of altitude awareness, which is entirely preventable with or without an AAD.

But it still sometimes happens, which is why in the pre-Cypres days, when few experienced jumpers used "AODs", no-pull fatalities and very-low-pull near-misses were a lot more common than they are now. And although average pull altitudes were lower back then, that was also before the advent of much faster freefly fall-rates.

No offense to you personally, but I really grow weary of people arguing against safety devices to guard against fuck-ups just because said fuck-ups "should be preventable" with diligence. Yeah, it's true, but it's beside the point: even careful, skillful people occasionally screw up.

No offense to you personally, but I really grow weary of people arguing against safety devices to guard against fuck-ups just because said fuck-ups "should be preventable" with diligence. Yeah, it's true, but it's beside the point: even careful, skillful people occasionally screw up.

Oh no I agree, and I would rather have an AAD than not have one. I'm not arguing against one. However, I think criticizing someone who does not jump with an AAD due to cost is a bit misguided, since the cost benefit analysis could be beneficial for some people.

Oh no I agree, and I would rather have an AAD than not have one. I'm not arguing against one. However, I think criticizing someone who does not jump with an AAD due to cost is a bit misguided, since the cost benefit analysis could be beneficial for some people.

so some people value their life less than what, 1200$!?

alright! :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

If I took measures in minimizing the possibility of a collision in freefall, I wouldn't use one.. But as long as there are sometimes low time jumpers in air with me and/or I'm freeflying, I'll have one in my rig.

well, it's not only others fuck-ups.. a simple entanglement with your camera-gear, or a loss of altitude-awareness, you may just be happy to have one!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda