Fanello1775

Military specific canopy course

So, we spend a lot of time working free fall and grouping skills at work , but little discussion is had on really learning to pilot our canopies. As far as I know, there really is no canopy course in the military.

I'm curious if anyone knows of an instructor/company that has ever contacted to teach advanced canopy piloting for MFF jumpers?

Several members of the Performance Designs team give seminars to military jumpers.
Also remember that military HALO and HAHO special forces soldiers tend to jump huge (more than 300 square foot) ram-air canopies when jumping with rucksacks, rifles, snowshoes or 500 pound bundles.

Not all the sport canopy exercises are possible on huge military canopies.
Have you ever tried to do a rear riser flare on a 400 square foot canopy?

I have on my 360. It took a fair bit of time and strength to stall it, and I'm 225lbs in my birthday suit. But a lot of guys have never even thought to try it. It really is those of us that straddle the military and civilian jumping worlds that try it. But we are a minority

I'm not trying to build a team of MFF swoopers. However,when we jump with combat equipment and O2 at night on a unmarked, unlit, and unknown DZ but the spot was wrong, that the guys can pilot the s**t out of their canopy to a safe out.

I've personally seen several groups of active duty military conducting training with Skydive Kapowsin in Shelton, WA. Yes, Luke Aikins is one of the trainers.

I found it kind of cool that on my first few AFF jumps (a whopping month ago), I was following some pretty serious dudes out the door. (PJ's if I'm not mistaken) It's not a joke how big 'some' of their canopies are, definitely equipped to handle a serious load.

CrashProne

I've personally seen several groups of active duty military conducting training with Skydive Kapowsin in Shelton, WA. Yes, Luke Aikins is one of the trainers.

Yep, PJs, some SF guys too. We also do currency static line jumps for Rangers and Airborne out there. Proud to say our DZ is "mil spec". B|

I don't know if Luke is really a good choice for canopy training, though. Last time I saw him jump he didn't even use one. ;):DB|