VectorBoy

Chest strap or mudflap

The possibilities of your alti reading wrong, in some case as much as a grand(low pressure), is one of the draw backs. The mud flap location may or may not be affected since it is slightly higher on the Birdman in clean air. SM1 has been toying with the idea to mount a mudflap alti for some time. Regardless, I would still have a hand mounted alti. It doesn't take that much effort to see your hand alti if you position it correctly before flight.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The possibilities of your alti reading wrong, in some case as much as a grand(low pressure), is one of the draw backs

I dont get this, assuming you are flying normally, there is no burble on your front so why would your chest mount altimeter read wrong ?

As I'm using my arms for flying, its more viewable/'out of the way' being on my chest.

Clue me in with the reasoning please

No, Not without incident

I mounted an alti on my mudflap only for ws-flying. I don't want to let go my wing just to look at the alti. I can see no downsides. Even if it is a little incorrect, who cares?

Let go of your wing to see the altimeter? I just don't understand this. I have no problem whatsoever seeing my altimeter on my left hand. I'm flying a Classic suit right now, but I don't think it will be any more difficult to see it when I get my SF3.

I like the mudflap mount idea....but would avoid mounting an altimeter on the chest strap. Remember the guy that got killed when he face planted on landing and his wedge altimeter on his chest strap crushed his airway?

Mike

I think a mudflap mount is a great idea. I used to have a "wedge" mount, but someone found they liked it better than me and stole the fucker. I was pissed to say the least.

Yeah this thing has really been coming in handy, thanks chuck!

(joke) :)

If you fly an S3 and hold the wingtips for the entire flight, minus docking, then it's nearly impossible to view a wrist alti.

Damn right. My favorite altimeter is that big ball of dirt, trees, and houses down there.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

The reason I ask is because its recommended to use the wristmount in the manual.

A few weeks ago I was filming a flock using somebody elses helmet with no audible flying on my back. I was holding a hard arch and to peek at my wrist mount I would have dropped out on them, but it was getting late in the dive and I had to rely on the flockers for altitude "Q"s. I'm really thinking about a mud flap set up, maybe even a neptune. I also really like the wedge idea.

The reason I ask is because its recommended to use the wristmount in the manual.

I use a chest mount on a wedge and so does the guy I borrowed the suit from. granted if I'm flying on my back I know its reading incorrectly but I dont see me flying on my back in the basement anyways

I see no reason for the wrist mount preference and can make a few arguments against them, most to do with it being behind the wrist and wing.

Until I hear some concrete reasoning otherwise, I give my thumbs up to it being somewhere other than the wrist and the recommendation in the manual being some personal bias leaked in by the writer.

No, Not without incident

I see no reason for the wrist mount preference and can make a few arguments against them, most to do with it being behind the wrist and wing.

If you position the wrist mount correctly for BM flights it will be oriented more towards the thumb and forefinger of the left hand. In this position it is easy to see the dial even while holding wing tips. Granted, you do not have a full face view of the dial but you are able to see the face where it's most important and that's from about 9 to 4 G. The problem with chest mounts is the fact that gross deviations can occur and you won't know about it.

Which brings up another valid point, using an audible altimeter in addition to a wrist mount is always a good decision. Personally, I use the PACE acronym when dealing with altitude. I have a primary, alternate, contingency and Emergency. The wrist mount, Protrack and my Suunto watch Alti on my other wrist and my eyes(visual cues) serves as Emergency.

If you tell me that looking at a wrist mounted alti is too hard then I guess the next thing I can expect to hear is that flying is too hard on your arms;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The problem with chest mounts is the fact that gross deviations can occur and you won't know about it.

How can these gross deviations occur ?

Explain why a chest mount will give an incorrect reading.

Theres no burble on my chest.

Its easier to read a chest mount, why bother trying to sneak a peek at a wrist mount.

P.S. My primary altimeter is my eyeballs though i also carry an audible around in my helmet and an altimeter on my chest strap.

No, Not without incident

Theres no burble on my chest.

Then you need to roll your shoulders forwards more. ;)

If you're getting a good glide ratio, have your shoulders rolled forwards, and have your chin to your chest (or if you look down with your head), you can, in fact, kill the air to your alti. Doesn't happen all the time, though.

I just use a wrist mount and get it as far up on my thumb as possible. I can't really see it, but I don't have to rotate my hand too much to do so. As long as it isn't too dark (ie, bad depth perception), the planet does a good job of telling you where you're at.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I use the wedge too and yes, it is great. Just one note: on the 1 fast spinner I had, my risers were so badly twisted that my head was pushed down and forward so much that I couldn't read the mudflap-mounted alti anymore. Guessing the altitude by looking at the earth didn't work neither because I was spinning like a mf. I ended up chopping by feel (when I felt I had burned off enough altitude :S).
Since then I take a wrist-mounted alti as an extra ;)