ManBird

Wingsuit/Canopy Relative Work Flight Planner

http://www.deepart.org/index.asp?id=98&trackid=79

This is the first draft. The data is based on the more successful jumps we've done. Yes, a canopy can do 44 down at higher altitudes. In fact, we do 44 MPH down consistently on these flights. Have fun and be safe!

There's some foreshortening in the chart to be closer to 3D. I tried to get it somewhat close to scale, but this chart is not actually to scale. It's a close-enough visual representation. Also note the 1,500' swoops. Sorry... I just had to.

This is assuming a canopy loaded at maybe 2.5+:1 and a wingsuit that can travel up to 80 MPH forwards (forward speed is not very critical in this activity). A glide ratio of about 1.6:1 is sufficient for both parties... piece of cake for the wingsuit.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Just wanted to add what sort of the prerequisite for the wingsuit pilot is. Basically, you should be able to tell what your fall rate is. It's necessary for pulling off the setup.

I can usually tell what the fall rate is within a couple MPH, as long as it's under 80 MPH. That is, “we were probably doing around 48 MPH from 10k to 6k”, and it’ll be right about there. Over 80 MPH, it all starts to sound the same... just loud.

I use JumpTrack a LOT. I've planned and done some dives (almost 100) where I just try different body positions for maybe 2,000 feet at a time, then go into JumpTrack and look at the exact fall rates for those sections of the dive. Memorize your body position and what everything sounds like. There's frequency and volume associated with your speed.

Click

Hey jerks, you just have to click on the image to launch it, but if you have Flash Player 6, the image doesn;t show up, so I've added a "Click here to launch" link. I hope you homos are happy now.

;)

Click

Hey jerks, you just have to click on the image to launch it, but if you have Flash Player 6, the image doesn;t show up, so I've added a "Click here to launch" link. I hope you homos are happy now.

;)

Who you calling "jerk", Steve?

Another note: What a person really needs to understand and know about glide paths and possible trajectory changes associated with different body positions is "the accuracy trick." Yes, the same accuracy trick you use on a landing approach. While your target may be moving, the accuracy trick absolutely applies if you have already setup what you think ought to be your proposed glide for the approach/swoop/closing maneuver. Something must remain constant for you to be able to make any such judgement, so constantly changing your body position, or "chasing" your optimum glide just doesn't work. There is a good example of such flailing on the BirdMan site in the Cinco De Mayo video. Not a personal dig in anyway on Kevin, but that video of you chasing Lou while he was on his back is a great example of what not to do.

Chuck

Good call, Cherck... I mean Chuck. That's why the canopy pilot essentially has to just hold still and not have any input as soon as they are facing the DZ. The wingsuit pilot flies to a setup point and then goes.

Click

;)

Who you calling "jerk", Steve?

Another note: What a person really needs to understand and know about glide paths and possible trajectory changes associated with different body positions is "the accuracy trick." Yes, the same accuracy trick you use on a landing approach. While your target may be moving, the accuracy trick absolutely applies if you have already setup what you think ought to be your proposed glide for the approach/swoop/closing maneuver. Something must remain constant for you to be able to make any such judgement, so constantly changing your body position, or "chasing" your optimum glide just doesn't work. There is a good example of such flailing on the BirdMan site in the Cinco De Mayo video. Not a personal dig in anyway on Kevin, but that video of you chasing Lou while he was on his back is a great example of what not to do.

Chuck

Yeah that was a while ago, after seeing that video i did realize something wasn't right :)

Might be a good training clip.

Kevin