bigbearfng

reserve deployment hesitations

Spring-loaded reserve PCs were designed to throw the PC out past the burble if given a clear shot to do so. If your PC doesn't do that while you are in a stable, belly-to earth orientation, you may want to get the PC replaced with one having a decent spring.

If your reserve PC is capable of doing that but some issue blocks the launch then we can't really say that it is a PC hesitation. Think Quasar (?).

I would venture to guess that most reserve PC hesitations are caused by poor maintenance rather than body position.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Spring-loaded reserve PCs were designed to throw the PC out past the burble if given a clear shot to do so. If your PC doesn't do that while you are in a stable, belly-to earth orientation, you may want to get the PC replaced with one having a decent spring.

If your reserve PC is capable of doing that but some issue blocks the launch then we can't really say that it is a PC hesitation. Think Quasar (?).

I would venture to guess that most reserve PC hesitations are caused by poor maintenance rather than body position.

I was initially trained on ripcord mains. Sorry for the confusion. :$

I've gone and edited my first post for clarification.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

>which is why I think there needs to be more debate over whether "pull silver and
>arch" should be trained into the EP's.

We teach:

feet and knees together
look red
grab red
look silver
pull red
pull silver
arch
count 1000 2000 3000 4000 5000
check

The final check is intended to break any burble that is slowing down the reserve PC.

>which is why I think there needs to be more debate over whether "pull silver and

We teach:

feet and knees together
look red
grab red
look silver
pull red
pull silver
arch
check

The final check is intended to break any burble that is slowing down the reserve PC.

But if you're already low then counting to 5000 is gonna be way too late........

>But if you're already low then counting to 5000 is gonna be way too late........

Assuming minimum student decision altitude (2500 feet) and a full 5 second count (which is very rare) that gives you reserve deployment beginning at either 2000 or 1500 feet depending on your speed at the time of the reserve deployment.

We teach look on 3 for the reserve, "ARCH thousand, 2 thousand, LOOK thousand
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

We teach:

feet and knees together
look red
grab red
look silver
pull red
pull silver
arch
check

A 5-count after silver? Seems long-ish for my personal comfort, but I'm not an instructor and have always only been a casual weekender.

Oh, and some other time, let's renew the debate over "1 hand per handle" vs. "2 hands per handle." ;)

It's a sticky situation since, in today's world, the AAD activation level has gone down to 750 ft. Perchance moving it back up to 1,000 ft might be the better thing to do.

This is so far what makes me want a Vigil, They both have the same qualifying speed for firing (35ms) but open at 256m (840ft) instead of 225m (750ft)

Flaws in my idea??

It's a sticky situation since, in today's world, the AAD activation level has gone down to 750 ft. Perchance moving it back up to 1,000 ft might be the better thing to do.

This is so far what makes me want a Vigil, They both have the same qualifying speed for firing (35ms) but open at 256m (840ft) instead of 225m (750ft)

Flaws in my idea??

It should not matter for you what AAD you have.
You suppose to be under canopy by 1000 feet.

Yep thats very true. I still consider my hard deck 600m and i will do everything in my power to be under a function canopy by then. But should i be knocked out i would rather have the reserve open higher then lower.

I dont rely nor count on AADs, RSLs ect, back up systems are for just that, backup.

There is a solution for higher opening of AAD> Simply set your VIGIL to student, and it would fire at 1040ft. Carefull though, it then fires at 20m/s rather than the pro of 35m/s.

Anyways, I agree that the head high is the best attitude.

Editted to be more precise......
And now, from the Vigil manual, there is compensation made for belly down or back down.
Therefore a compensation of + 260 ft or + 80 m above the nominal activation altitude was integrated.
In PRO mode a programmed activation altitude of 1100 ft or 336 m has been set to guarantee
notwithstanding the position, activation at a minimum altitude of 840ft or 256m (real altitude) above the
ground.

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.