ManBird

12 hours at 595 jumps

Jump #595, an 84 second tracking dive in my Pantz, put me at 43,263 seconds of freefall... that's more than twelve hours in less than 600 jumps, thanks to wingsuit flying on more than half of my jumps. I bet the USPA never saw that one coming when they were establishing freefall awards. ;)

Good thing freefall time isn't beerable. Though my 600th this weekend will be...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Yeah, I don't doubt that technically I had 12 hours a bit earlier. Before my camera sploded, I was able to capture a fairly good number of jumps for the real times. The one's where I really pushed got up around (and sometimes over) three minutes. I think my thumbs have been dislocated like seven hundred times now.

I started flying a wingsuit at 260 jumps, and I know that there are people out there that are getting into the sport specifically to fly these suits. As the suits and training get better and people get more inspired and committed to start flying earlier and sticking with it, I won't be surprised if we see someone get their twelve hours in less than five hundred jumps relatively soon.

Click

[reply???

I'm assuming flying the suit for three mins gets your thumbs tired or something... hoping "dislocated" was an exaggeration. :o

I actually did dislocate my left thumb on a flight that was right around three minutes. It's still a little goofy, and there's pain now and again, but it's back in place and working for the most part. That's not a normal thing, though... even for big flights. I'm not sure why it happened on this one flight and not others. Maybe bad position of the loop (too high on the thumb).

At any rate, the loop that goes around your thumb can put a lot of stress on your hand when flying hard, making it tough to bend your thumbs. That's why I now relax for about a thousand feet before pull time if I feel a lot of fatigue or stress on my hands. When I had my PC in tow, I was unable to bend my thumb and had to grab the handle by pressing it up against my palm with my fingers, resulting in a lameass throw.

Click