murrays

Cessna 182 Exits and...

So, now that I have taken the plunge and laid down the plastic, read the Flight Manual, FAQ and Instructor checklist..I am wondering.....

What is the best way to exit a C182 for my first flights? Poised exit off the step or dive it out?

How about doing flights with the other two Bird-men to be at our dz (Who haven't gotten their suits yet)? How can we do a group exit out of a C182?

I am jumping a Javelin TJN with a Stiletto. I think I'll borrow a different main but am still wondering about the corners of the TJN. The main pack tray seems pretty deep and the corners pretty high. How important is it to have non-restrictive corners? Is it more of a consideration if you are jumping an elliptical rather than something more docile?

I also have an old Racer with a pull-out whose corners are less restrictive. If I do a quick conversion to BOC, how long should the bridle be and do I need a larger pilot chute? Would the Racer be a better choice due to the corners? I guess this applies to the Javelin as well.

Now I can't wait for the package to arrive...
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

What is the best way to exit a C182 for my first flights? Poised exit off the step or dive it out?
How about doing flights with the other two Bird-men to be at our dz (Who haven't gotten their suits yet)? How can we do a group exit out of a C182?

If I do a quick conversion to BOC, how long should the bridle be and do I need a larger pilot chute?

1. Poised, Put legs out first closed together. Close Arms, lean for stablizer. Move hands side to side crawling out till you are in a poised position. Jumpback, close wings for a sec to clear plane, open wings and fly.

2. you can get 2 people poised on the step, have one person dive on the door.

3. 90 to 100 inches, a little bigger is better but not nessisary as long as your pilote chute is in good condition.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

We took out a three way from the step of a 182 a few times and i found it pretty easy to climb out. The only problem being to keep our wings not inflated as much as possible and for the rest it's quite easy. The launch make the whole group pretty close together and all in clean air.

I jump, I live, I love. Ourson #1 Ordre des Ours Polaires Volants

Jumping a 182 is no big deal as long as you keep your wings closed during climb out. You can easily get 3 out with 2 on the step and one diving or just squeeze the third if you don't have any large birds.

As for the corners, it is recommended that you pack grommet up, IE: stick your D bag into the container with the grommet/bridle facing up(lines down) and close your container. I jump a Racer and find it no problem as long as I pack grommet up since the container on racers is more flexible than most. A longer bridle is a good idea as are cut corners if your going to be jumping an elliptical as it removes some of the contributing factors to spin ups. A more docile canopy is recommended for first flights until you get your post opening procedures down pat as you want some thing that stays square and flies straight( ie: Sabre/Sabre 2) even if you have line twists. Once you are comfortable with your post opening procedures and have gotten a few flights under your belt you may want to go back to your elliptical. Remember to give your self time to work things out, 5 grand is pull time period. Have fun and tell us about it afterwards, welcome to the flock;):D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

when i got my class from chuck, he told me to pull no lower that 4k- 4.5k. Reality, I am usually open by 4.5... I want no one to go that low on his or her first jump. I hope all have some common sense and not pull that low until you got some experiance.... I am just stating what I was taught... I say that a student of BM should pull no lower than 5k. Having had a cutaway, more alti the better
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Solo, I'd say a dive out is best. Personally, I find that I get stable most quickly my throwing in a loop when exiting towards the tail of any aircraft. Like a gainer out of a tailgate or a front loop out of a 182, but that's just me, and am not sure if that should be taken as advice at first.

I am jumping a Javelin TJN with a Stiletto. I think I'll borrow a different main

No, you WILL borrow a different main. ;) Having seen almost the exact same setup result in a mal on the second wingsuit flight of a very current and experienced jumper, I must highly recommend a docile square canopy until you are comfortable and consistent at on-heading deployments. It may only take a few jumps or it may take thirty, but definitely hold off on the Stiletto until then.

but am still wondering about the corners of the TJN. The main pack tray seems pretty deep and the corners pretty high. How important is it to have non-restrictive corners? Is it more of a consideration if you are jumping an elliptical rather than something more docile?

This isn't really an issue as long as you burn off some forward speed before deploying by collapsing your wings for several seconds. I started flying a wingsuit with a Racer, 28" ZP PC, and 6' bridle. I only had line twists a few times, and only one time was definitely related to the corners (line twists before inflation), but that was also due in part to not slowwing down before deployment.

I just recently borrowed an unmodded Eclipse, which is really, really sewn up, with a Crossfire 2, standard bridle, etc. Granted I have right around 300 wingsuit flights, but flying even a very, very unfavorable system (in regards to wingsuit flying) is possible, so long as you adjust your deployment appropriately.

I'd actually recommend the TJN over the Racer, to be honest.

I also have an old Racer with a pull-out whose corners are less restrictive. If I do a quick conversion to BOC, how long should the bridle be and do I need a larger pilot chute? Would the Racer be a better choice due to the corners? I guess this applies to the Javelin as well.

Now I can't wait for the package to arrive...

I'd recommend at least 100 inches on the bridle. I did get some hesitations with standard length bridle.

I'm sure you'll be just fine. All the mods are really just replacements for human error (which is why I have all of them). Just stay heads up and gradually get mods as needed or desired or as you can afford it. You're gonna love it.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Everyone...thanks for all the advice (again!)

I just ordered a new throw-out kill line pilot chute with a 100" bridle and a BOC pocket to convert my old Racer to throw-out. I have a PD150 in the Racer ... I may also be able to put a Triathlon 160 in it so, one way or the other, I'll have a more forgiving and docile canopy than the Stiletto to jump. So, once the p/c parts arrive and I get them sewn on and the suit come sin the mail...I am ready to go for it.

The fact that we are possibly getting snow flurries tomorrow is a hint that our season up here is about to end. I hope to get a few flights in before we're done.

Once again, thank-you for all the excellent advice.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey