TomAiello

Zippers

I'm having trouble with the zippers on my wingsuit. I'm considering trying to get a tailor to switch out the zippers for something burlier.

Has anyone else done this? What kind of zippers did you use? Where did you get them? Has it helped?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Been there, done that. Chcuk put in metal zippers on the GTI I was jumping before I went to the SF. Works great and lasts longer that the nylon ones.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Tom,
I replaced most of my zippers with metal on my classic. It works great. I jam a lot of battle gear on for sub-terminal flights, and used to pop the plastic zippers wide open.
If you are ordering a new wing suit, you can aquire metal zippers beforehand, and have Birdman install them on your suit.

Just my .02
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

Any fabric store. That, or just go by your local alteration shop and tell them your specific needs. There is a little shop in Raeford that had mine done in one day. Would have waited on the work to be done, but old girl had to drive all the way back into Fayetteville to get the zippers. My bad.

Chuck

Is Bird-Man aware of this?
If bustin' zippers is a common thing, maybe they should consider puttin' the metal ones on the suits to begin with...

Any thoughts?

Jari?
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

Is Bird-Man aware of this?
If bustin' zippers is a common thing, maybe they should consider puttin' the metal ones on the suits to begin with...

They have to be aware of it. I know that a couple folks have sent them the metal zippers and had them installed during production, which would kind of put them on notice that some people, at least, find the zippers inadequate.

I'd definitely pay more to get burly metal zippers as an option on my next suit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'd definitely pay more to get burly metal zippers as an option on my next suit.

Me too. And how about a way to "lock" the arm zippers down? From the factory...A good idea?

Edited to add: I personally have not had any problems with mine to date, but have seen others discussing the "locks" for the arm zippers.
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

YKK is on most of my mountain gear, gortex jackets and suck...

Um, was that a typo, or are you telling us to avoid YKK zippers because they suck?

I'm pretty sure that YKK is the world's largest zipper manufacturer. They make big zippers, little zippers and medium zippers, as well as a bunch of other fastening type products.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I see the name "Scovill" on the zippers of three different jackets of mine. Two of them are "work" jackets(one parka, one Ike jacket), and the other is a lightweight military jacket that I acquired somehow.
Google gives you a link to Scovill Fasteners, but I saw no zippers.:S
I also have two leathers with YYK's...

Hey, what the hell brand do levi's use? Now those are some sturdy, long lastin' mofo's.;)