aufreefly

The wedge for birdman jumps(altimeter mount)

Years ago, Pat Works had designed a similar do-hicky made out of a piece of lexan. I believe he still jumps it on his rig.

I've seen other similar designs. I believe all would work on a BirdMan suit, but would cause a -slight- amount of extra drag, which may be important if you're trying to go the farthest or fastest.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A lot of us at Raeford jump "wedges" on the front of our legstraps. I am sure you can rig them to go through the mudflap (I didn't look at your pic). The lexan ones I have also seen work fine with altimaster III-sized units. I wouldn't sweat the "extra drag" of the mudflap mount. Me? I am about to sew either a clear pouch or a sort of velcro mount in order to attach a Neptune to the leading edge of my left arm, near the wrist. Wearing a wrist mound alti III works fine, right up to the point that you get your new SkyFlyer 3. Flying with your wingtips in your hands, though, make it nearly impossible to see your wrist alti. The Neptune will fix that for me.

Chuck

I would imagine that it isn't the drag Michael is worried about, and since the mud-flap isn't obscured with a wingsuit it isn't the fitting either, but the possible discrepency between it and that of a wrist mounted alti, since Bird-Man don't advise the use of chest mount altis. It's still pretty much chest-mounted so I'd stay away from it, but it would be interesting to test by comparing readings between it and a wrist-mount through a variety of manouevres.

Not sure why there would be a problem with an alti located on the bottom side of your body, out in clean air. I would be far more suspect of an alti reading that is held back in the vaccum. Anyway, as I happen to have a wedge, I am going to rig it up on my mudflap and see if I can avoid getting popped on the side of the head on opening. :)
Chuck

Yeah I thought that would be a problem but as it turns out it does not effect my packing very much.

I guess that it depends on how you pack (weights, tying rings together, etc). I ususally just put a weight between the risers and the left one is slightly distorted, but I have had nothing but quality openings on my Xaos.