dragonauti

Crossbow Wingsuit

I haven't flown one personally, so take my comments with a grain of salt. From what I've heard, and what I've seen in the air, they're very floaty. They get about the same lift as a GTi, but not the forward speed. Flying a GTi next to one, I have to hold a solid frame to maintain the same lift, but keep my knees down to keep from zooming ahead. They also slide quite a bit. When you do a side slide with it, it takes quite a bit to stop the slide. They appear to not require as much strength to fly efficiently, and I've heard they are as easy to fly as a Classic. The construction seems a little thrown together, and I've heard a good number of complaints about them coming apart at around fifty jumps.

It's a "one wing" system. That is, it is essentially two pieces of fabric sewn together, and the way it is stitched forms the wings and the place to put your body, as opposed to three individual wings. It relies more on surface area than aerodynamics to stay aloft, which is why it floats more than it flies.

It has a single-point cutaway system. The advantage is that there is only one handle to pull to free the wings. The disadvantage is that it cuts away along the arm. Because the suit is one wing, the wings can't be cut from the body. If for any reason you need to to cut your wings in freefall, or if you cut your wings, then need to chop and fire your reserve, it is extremely difficult to remain stable with the wings separated from the arm. I had a mal wherein I rolled into my lines and ended up with a riser under a wing due to this. Cutting the wings from the body so they are still attached to the arm is MUCH safer.

The Crossbow has recently been resurrected as the MRT-1. It has some improvements in terms of construction, but I'd assume that the performance difference is marginal, as the engineering is almost identical.

There are some people out there that still like to fly their Crossbows, but they're a little archaic next to what's coming out of the BirdMan camp. Some people, like Loic, do an amazing job with it. I wonder how he'd do with a Skyflyer.3...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Quickie note... Be carefull in comparing any one wingsuit jumper's performance to another without mentioning body type, wingloading and flying skill. These things play a big role in what any suit can do.

Jean Loic Albert (Crossbow designer) is a lucky guy... VERY tall and very thin. I would kill for long legs like that. (Well, sans the guy hair and all that.)

:)

-Kimberly Griffin

True. That's always a sticky subject. Like some people will talk about the Classic as being a lower performance suit, and then you watch Yuri (Outrager) do better with a Classic than what most people can do with a Skyflyer.

(Edited for better adjective choice)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I just got my new GTI and i cant fly that as well as my old classic. is ther different body positions ??????????? and What i have tryed different body positions but my best is 112 sec 79 kmt (TAS). In my classic i always fly ower 2 min and whith speed between 60 - 70 kmt TAS.:)

Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

Yes, the GTi is pickier than the Classic suit in that you have to have your arms a certain way, dearched, legs out, etc. Just as the Skyflyer and S3 are even more picky than the GTi.

On the GTi, if you have your arms turned over the wrong way (very common mistake) or you are pulling on the wing too much or too little, you will more easily distort the wing than on the Classic. The longer arm wing gets more easily distorted by having your arms in the incorrect position. This will decrease the efficiency of the wing and take away from your lift.

If you look at Jari's arms in this attached pic, you'll get the idea.

Make sure you let your wings inflate fully (you should not pull on the wings' binding tapes but can't let the wing flap by letting the wing be too loose), your shoulders should be rounded, middle of your back de-arched, butt up slightly, legs extended with toes pointed - all at the same time as being relaxed.

What I have learned from experience is that it just takes flying to learn your suit. Then the better speeds should come. I was almost ready to turn my Skyflyer back in when I got it because I was sucking big time. It took at least 10 jumps before I even felt confident that I wouldn't go low jumping with guys that were bigger than me.

Patience is a virtue - I think.

Good luck!

~Kim
BirdMan Inc
-Kimberly Griffin

Daaammmn! I've done this before - I forgot to "upload the attachment". Living up to the blonde hair once again.

So sorry! Here it is now, uploaded and all that.

While Jari's arm position in picture is looking good, he is not very de-arched (which would be a more ideal body position) but that's because he's trying to stay with the camera man who is falling faster than he is.

Good day all!

~Kim

-Kimberly Griffin

Jari's arm wings.jpg