Skydive2

?? for C-182 operators (3 Blade Prop)

We are currently considering putting a 3 Blade prop on our 1957 Cessna 182. I have heard good and bad things about the 3 blade prop on the earlier model C-182's. I was wondering if anyone here who has flowen, or owned a earily model C-182 with a 3 blade has any good or bad things to say? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Lance

Don't think this will contribute much, but out C-182 was two-blade until we put a new turbocharged engine in this spring, and a three-blade prop tp go with it. Climbs like a bandit now. But I don't know that a three-blade prop alone would do anything significant, seems to me you need the power to get the prop to do it's thing. (Early 60's vintage.)

Easy Does It

The 3 blade prop is less efficient but will seem smoother. From all the other jump operators I've spoken to re 3 blade... no improvement at all. I assume (know) that you are replacing the Hartzell (damned AD's!). Save a thousand bucks and go with the McCauley 2 blade kit (complete prop, spinner and govenor). Performance will be the same as your Hartzell, but no more 250 hour inspection/overhaul.

Chris

(I did throw one of those brand new spinners last weekend... know what? McCauley covered it all under warranty... even 6 days after the 36 month warranty expired).

Feel free to pm me for any info. I'm a happy McCauley 2 blade fan.

Contact Blue Skies Skydiving in Bremerton Washington. They re-made one of their 182's and it has a 520 for a powerplant and a 3 bladed prop. It climbs like a crazy.

I am sure that they will be happy to give you some information....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"